Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Interesting morning at the field

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Interesting morning at the field

Old 09-22-2008, 02:55 PM
gjesion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting morning at the field

We went to the field this morning and it was cool and overcast. Nice flying day with very light winds. As we were flying we noticed that ground fog and low clouds were rolling in from the east, but it wasn't too bad. I noticed the clouds passing over the field, but could not tell how high they were. Well I found out pretty quickly. I took off and on the upwind started a hammerhead, on the upline the plane disappeared into a cloud! I could not see it at all. I pulled the power back and waited for it to come out. It did and I managed to get it under control and landed. We ended up waiting for about an hour for the clouds to burn off. This was my first time in IMC with a model!! I wonder if I should log it??

Regards,
Jerry
Old 09-22-2008, 02:56 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Interesting morning at the field

Sorry, IMC?
Old 09-22-2008, 03:05 PM
gjesion

Sorry, Instrument Meteorological Conditions. Acronym used by full scale pilots to describe flying in a cloud.

Regards,
Jerry
Old 09-22-2008, 03:07 PM
kargo

Instrument Meteorological Conditions, as opposed to VMC Visual Meteorological Conditions
Old 09-22-2008, 03:11 PM
karl thomas

that was lucky then lol glad its all ok
Old 09-22-2008, 04:06 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

I was flying at a fun fly this weekend at it was windier than normal, and it messed with my contacts pretty good. Once when my plane was coming back toward me, I actually got fuzzy, and had to blink it away. When I looked back, I couldn't find the plane![X(] I cut throttle and pulled up, then she had a good cross section showing and I found her. It gave me one of those short adrenaline rushes that make you instantly sweat.[sm=52_52.gif]
Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

I remember about 6 years ago when i was first learning I was flying my plane, I thought, toward me, at full throttle. Well, it kept getting smaller and smaller. I finally realized it was going away from me, but I could no longer see it. I went on feel alone. Left aileron, little bit of up, and hold it for a couple of seconds. Right roll back to level (I thought) and wait. Finally, I start to see it getting bigger and bigger. talk about LUCK! I learned real quick to wiggle the ailerons to tell if the plane is going toward me or away from me when the sun is just right and it's hard to tell....
Old 09-22-2008, 09:34 PM
ChuckW

Fog/low clouds can get you. I've lost a plane because I was too impatient for the fog to lift completely. That particular plane was all black too... big mistake. I've also lost sight of a white airplane in a light fog but managed to save it somehow.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Charlie P.

Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt.

My former club had an airstrip on the ridge of a hill. One day it had been raining but cleared off while we waited in the pavillion. When it passed I got out first and took off under what looked like grey clouds. At about 50 ft the airplane disappeared into them! I dropped the throttle and gave left rudder and, happily, the model came back into view well above the weeds & trees and I brought her in and we talked flying until the sky cleared.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:46 AM
RBacio

Except for some high dollar military hardware, I'm pretty sure our's is strictly a VFR hobby. However, given the ingenuity of some in our sport, I would not be surprised at all if there is not someone out there flying BACKYARD IFR =)