Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Is it possible / easy to add flaps to an existing wing?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Is it possible / easy to add flaps to an existing wing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:06 AM
alienteabagger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible / easy to add flaps to an existing wing?

Here's a picture of my Sunrise, I have yet to fly it. I finally got a chance this weekend to sit down with the previous owner of this beauty and discuss the finer details of this particular plane. He told me about its flight character and the fact that it requires high throttle to stay airborne.

This brings me to my question: Is it possible to modify the wing to add flaps? I was doing some brainstorming and thought of cutting the aileron flap in two and re-hinging it. Then set up a flaperon mix in my radio (DX6i).

Can something like this be done, has it been done?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10685.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1055499  
Old 10-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Warnberg
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Is it possible / easy to add flaps to an existing wing?

I'm fairly new as well and I could be wrong... but I believe flaperons are not flap's and ailerons, it's just the ailerons used as flaps while acting as ailerons.... flaperons are used when you have two aileron servos, then a mix is used on the radio to lower both ailerons a little to act as flaps but at the same time still function as ailerons... so with flaperons there is not a separate flap control surface.... so you would not need to modify the aileron control surface to add flaps.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Missileman

Simple way is to mix flaperons where your ailerons will act like flaps with the switch of a switch while still acting as ailerons as well.
You can cut the strip ailerons and make the inner portions flaps but it will take a bit of work. You will have to strip the wing and build a servo mount. With this method you will be using a seperate dedicated channel for flaps.
I don't think the DX6i is capable of mixing seperate flaps with ailerons.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you currently have one aileron servo or one in each wing? If you only have one center servo, it will be harder to do. I added wing servos to my tiger when I had to fix my wing, and one of the hardest parts was to drill a hole thru the wing to get the servo wires in without putting new covering on the bottom of the wing.

Jon

P.S. I believe the general rule for making flaps is about 30% of the aileron length.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:43 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

I'm a bit confused as to the "why." Adding flaps/flaperons will not help the need for high throttle to stay airborne, probably make it worse. By looking at the plane, I can't imagine it needs high throttle unless the engine is undersized or the plane is too heavy. What flight characteristic are you expecting by adding flap/flaperons and can you clarify which? You mention cutting aileron in two (that would be flap), but they you reference a flaperon mix (not the same thing.)
Old 10-20-2008, 09:48 AM
NLAT

i use flaperons on my extra you need 2 servos right side goes to channel 1 left side goes to channel 6, i hahe it set up to a switch which also mixes in a little elevator to compensate for the slight change in pitch. it is very effective, i use it every time i land.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:13 AM
Lnewqban

I would recommend you starting flying the plane and trim it properly before deciding on modifying the wing.
As mentioned above, this model seems to have a problem of trim, heaviness, unmatched propeller-engine or/and sub-powering.

Flaps are only to increase camber and lift of the wings, in order to make the stall velocity lower than for normal flight.
This allows shorter and slower landings and take-offs.

Then, for normal flight, the flaps are returned to the up position, eliminating the extra drag and lift they produce, allowing the model to fly at cruise velocity and brake through the wind (penetrate) better.

The price for higher lift when flaps are deployed, are increased pitch moment or tendency to nose down, and also increased drag force.

Although flaps are a nice feature to have to facilitate landings, by slowing the model during approach, they don't seem to be a solution for any problem of normal flight conditions.
Your model has been designed to flight properly at normal level flight conditions.

Regards!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:19 AM
carrellh

If you do decide to set up flaps or flaperons, you'll need to ignore the "channel numbers" listed in post #6 (probably correct for Futaba) and follow the instructions in the Spektrum manual since Spektrum numbers their channels differently than Futaba.

What other planes have you flown? This looks like a fairly advanced model.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:54 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

You may want to fly it without them first to see if you even want flaps. My extra and decathlon don't need them. I am going to use the flaperon mixing in my radios just to see what it does, but I can land them softly without any flap action.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:50 PM
alienteabagger

Why do I want to add flaps to this plane? My previouse flight experience consists of a pair of helicopters, an RC combat wing, and a 3d profile plane (Great Planes Flatana).

The previous owner (who is one of my flying buddies) educated me on the flight characteristics of this plane. It originally was powered by a .46 engine and the was converted to run a brushless motor with the appropiate size prop. In both instances the plane required high speeds for ROG take-off, cruising flight, and landing. This plane is much heavier than any plane of the same size that I have personally picked up and heavier than some larger planes. I can only guess that all the weight is the reason for the need to fly at higher speeds than its lighter brethren.

From what I understand about flaps, these control surfaces lower the minimum required speed for an aircraft to take-off, stay airborne, and/or land. Without such additions, a plane that could take-off from a 20' runway would require a much longer runway to achieve the necessary speed to generate the lift needed to get off the ground.

I am also positive that flying with flaps down would alter the flight character of a plane by increasing the lift generated by the wing at any given speed thus lowering the stall speed. I have seen various trainers that included removable fixed flaps wich allow for the plane to be flown slower.

I do not mind having to remove the covering film to modify the wing. Right now it has a single servo centrally mounted. there is plenty of room to mount more servos around this central location.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:43 PM
JohnW

Ah, high throttle and high speed aren’t the same, hence my confusion. Yes, flaps will increase lift at a given speed, but it is done at the expense of drag. So, you will still need high throttle for takeoffs and flying around, but your takeoff distance and airspeed will be reduced with the flaps down as you indicated. Single central servo… not an easy modification. Probably not what you want to hear, but my first suggestions would be to lighten the plane or replace it with a lighter model. Heavy planes don’t fly slow. Why not put your time and effort into a better model? If you are adamant on adding flaps, with those small ailerons, I’d predict flaperon won’t help much. You’ll need to increase the chord of the surfaces, and true flaps would be better, such as ~20% chord flaps about ½ span or so.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:39 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to concur, flaps on that airplane (dedicated flaps or flaperons) are going to buy you nothing on that airplane in regards to slowing down landings. It will only make the landing task more difficult.

If that airplane should fly well and if it flys "heavy" then it is underpowerd, mispropped or just overly built and truly heavy. I can see another problem with it and that is the main gear appears to be too far forward and every landing will be what I call a boinger, You know perhaps seven or eight landings in one. Also directional stability during takeoffs primarily will be very poor with a tendency to wiggle all over the runway.

Flaps will never be a satifactory substitute for learning good airmanship skills.

John
Old 10-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: alienteabagger

Why do I want to add flaps to this plane? My previouse flight experience consists of a pair of helicopters, an RC combat wing, and a 3d profile plane (Great Planes Flatana).

The previous owner (who is one of my flying buddies) educated me on the flight characteristics of this plane. It originally was powered by a .46 engine and the was converted to run a brushless motor with the appropiate size prop. In both instances the plane required high speeds for ROG take-off, cruising flight, and landing. This plane is much heavier than any plane of the same size that I have personally picked up and heavier than some larger planes. I can only guess that all the weight is the reason for the need to fly at higher speeds than its lighter brethren.

From what I understand about flaps, these control surfaces lower the minimum required speed for an aircraft to take-off, stay airborne, and/or land. Without such additions, a plane that could take-off from a 20' runway would require a much longer runway to achieve the necessary speed to generate the lift needed to get off the ground.

I am also positive that flying with flaps down would alter the flight character of a plane by increasing the lift generated by the wing at any given speed thus lowering the stall speed. I have seen various trainers that included removable fixed flaps wich allow for the plane to be flown slower.

I do not mind having to remove the covering film to modify the wing. Right now it has a single servo centrally mounted. there is plenty of room to mount more servos around this central location.
We are just speculating on what you were told about the model.
As I wrote above, just fly the thing and find out how heavy it feels.
Then, you will know what is better to be done.

As a general rule, the lighter the model, the better; and there is no reason for a model to be too heavy, especially if is electric powered.
Weight the model, as ready to fly, and calculate the wing loading in ounces per square foot of wing surface.
If it is close to 20, it is fine; the lower the better.

Perform a proper trimming, following instructions at:

http://www.nsrca.org/trimA.htm

http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=8&ID=141

http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=8&ID=142

http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=8&ID=144

Difficult take-offs may indicate the need for a higher AOA of the wing while the model is speeding up and rolling, which may be limited by the geometry of the landing gear.
Balance the model to eliminate any nose heaviness.
Check also what is the position of the elevator respect to the stabilizer to achieve level flight; that will tell you how right or wrong the AOA is.

Regarding flaps, you can install additional flaps, fixed or movable, if you extend the ailerons to regain the area the flap will take away from them.
Those two things will increase the wing surface and will lower the calculated wing loading, which is good.
I recommend you studying the following articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-lift_device

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flap_(aircraft)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading_edge_extension

More information on practical dimensions and on installation of flaps using central servo can be found in the excellent book written by Andy Lennon: Basics of R/C Model Aircraft Design, available at many public libraries.

http://www.amazon.com/Basics-Model-A.../dp/0911295402

Regards!
Old 10-22-2008, 07:03 AM
alienteabagger

Thanks for all the links/info lnewqban.... Its alot to digest.

Since weight seems to be the biggest issue with this particular plane I went ahead and tallied the weight of everything that would be going into the plane and came up with an AUW of 2319.7g (thats a bit more than 5lbs!!) using an electric power system and HiTech HS-422 servos.

I also gave the fuse a good session of stare and wonder and realized that the fuse is solid. In other words it isn't buil like alot of the planes I have seen previously. Looking down into the hole where the electronics go, I can see that the fuse is made up of wooden sheets backed by reinforcing ribs. I wonder if peeling off the covering and cutting lightening holes into this sheeting would help light the plane. Using the same technique I do for aluminum, that is drilling holes that are evenly spaced and leave enough material so that the wood maintains most of its strenght.

This would leave me with the challenge of having to recover the fuse with new film.... Any thoughts on this guys?
Old 10-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Missileman

I am judging by your floor tiles in your pic that your model has a 50"ish wingspan and based on the original engine .46 I would say it is a typical 40 size plane
Based on that I find the average weight of that size model is 5lbs to 6lbs.
As far as I can tell your airplane is not heavy but about average for that size model.
Here is an example of a similar model that is just over 6lbs,
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEDN9&P=0
As far as needing high throttle to stay airborn perhaps he didn't have the engine tuned correctly, other problems with engine, under propped, ect... Or maybe it was just a bit too fast of an airplane for him.
Using flaps for take off and landing are ok but for the entire flight is not so good, you will sacrifice control for the extra lift.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:24 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That airplane is a typical average 46 sized sport aerobatic (not 3D) airplane for glow power not electric. The structure is entirely appropriate and normal for what it is. I think from your first post your buddy made the electric conversion. Conversions from electric to glow are easier in some ways. It seems that he failed to take sufficient weight reduction measure and/or selected insufficient power. Messing around with flaps is a complete waste of time.

Doing weight reduction surgery takes a keen eye to things like stress paths but yes it can be done and is done all the time. Lightening holes just in the skin though sometimes don,t net quite the reduction one may hope for but it does work to a point. As far as recovering all I can say if you are going to be doing major conversions like this then its about time you start learning. A flyer who can,t do modern covering techniques is a crippled flyer who won't stay in modeling very long. Its easy and every one becomes easier to the point of it becoming fun and the more enjoyable part of a built not something to be avoided at all cost.

For that airplane consider not the HS-422 servos but HS-225's instead.

John
Old 10-22-2008, 11:15 AM
JohnW

Ditto with Missile and John, assuming 12" floor tiles, typical 40 sized plane, etc., 5-6lbs for that size/type of plane is typical. Assuming the weight posted includes everything as indicated, I'm leaning toward "underpowered" which explains the need for high throttle in the original post. Figure airframe can’t weigh very much. We have motor, motor batteries (assuming electric motor) and flight gear making most of the weight. Probably not much left to save by wacking on the airframe, and post assembly is really the wrong time anyway. Possible, yeah, but probably not work the effort unless you want some experience, which is a valid reason. I’d probably just add more power and call it good.

Alien, how do you plan on powering this model? Same system as previous owner?
Old 10-22-2008, 02:17 PM
alienteabagger

The wing on this plane measures 46" along the trailing edge. The fuse is ±43" from the tip of the cowl to its rearmost portion.

I would prefer to power this with an electric power system, when I priced everything out there wasn't too much of a difference in price between going nitro or electric. I had planned on using this [link=http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=404&osCsid=113738e3258cd468a20a3d855a45459c]Grayson Hobbies EZ Glow-to-Electric[/link] conversion kit. Based on the AUW I had calculated, this seems to be an adequate power system. I like nitro and electric equally, if I can find a very reasonably priced (read: CHEAP) engine for this plane then I may jump on it.

I had another stare and wonder session with the plane this morning and have decided on NOT cutting out any part of the fuse or otherwise trying to lighten it. The plane by itself weighs in at over 1830g, which leaves the remaining 489.7g all in the power system and electrics.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:00 PM
JohnW

You could easily have almost 500g in motor battery alone. I don't know. 450W seems a bit thin for that plane. I loose perspective a bit sometime as I have excessive planes, like a 4lbs plane with 2.6KW of power, so if I’m off, I’m sure I’ll be corrected soon. I'm sure the 450W would work, but you'd be at the edge. Most electrics you cannot realistically fly at their maximum rated wattage and expect anything more than a very short flight. Have you checked Hobby City for motors? Very inexpensive and they work just fine. Maybe get something closer to 800W for that plane?
Old 10-23-2008, 07:08 AM
alienteabagger

Below is a list of the items that will be going into the plane along with their respective weights. From what I have learned in this thread I may need a more powerful motor (if I want to have power to spare) since the motor I am considering is rated for a model that is 5.5lbs and the current AUW is about 5.115lbs. I havent checked HobbyCity for motors yet, I do however buy my batteries exclusively from them. So I know their prices are awesome.

Any suggestions are welcome...

Tequila Sunrise .40 1814.4
Hitech HS-422 45.5
Hitech HS-422 45.5
Hitech HS-422 45.5
Zippy 2200mah 3sp1 172
480w Motor 132
Speed control 39.8
BEC 15
AR6200 receiver 10
Total weight (grams) 2319.7
Total weight (pounds) 5.12

Old 10-23-2008, 07:22 AM
Missileman

I don't know alot about electric airplanes but the few 40 size ones that fly where I do use 2 of the 2200mah 3s lipo packs which kind of makes sense because an equal size electric helicopter uses a 6s lipo.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:58 AM
JohnW

Here’s my concern. You indicated the plane needs high throttle to fly. I think we have established that flaps, unless you completely rework the wing including changing he size of the controls, will have little effect. And even if you add flaps, it may change flight speed, but not the need for high throttle. The motor you have listed is rated at 450W and for 5 LiPo cells, but you will be running it with 3 cells (less power.) Assuming you have 350W, that is less than 1/2HP. So I’m a bit concerned there is enough kick there to really fly the plane at anything but on the edge of stall. Assuming it does fly, I think it is safe to assume it will need high throttle. Say we pull an average of 350watts to fly, on a 3S1P pack, that would be pulling about 30A. If the battery is 2200mah, that is 15C continuous which means a 4 minute flight or less until the battery dies, a bit short for most. I don’t mean to run over your puppy, but I think you may enjoy this plane a bit more with a larger motor and battery.

While I can do the math, and understand electric motors, I don’t have enough experience with specific motor brands/models in the size range you’d be looking at to make a recommendation other than I'd think a 800W motor would be better. If you don’t get a good response here from others, maybe you could post a question in the electrics forum about recommended setup (motor, battery, ESC.) I’d suggest you indicate in the post plane type (aerobatic), weight before battery/motor, wing area, and wing span. Also include a pic like you did here. I’m pretty sure you’ll get some good feedback.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:33 AM
alienteabagger

ORIGINAL: JohnW

Here’s my concern. You indicated the plane needs high throttle to fly. I think we have established that flaps, unless you completely rework the wing including changing he size of the controls, will have little effect. And even if you add flaps, it may change flight speed, but not the need for high throttle. The motor you have listed is rated at 450W and for 5 LiPo cells, but you will be running it with 3 cells (less power.) Assuming you have 350W, that is less than 1/2HP. So I’m a bit concerned there is enough kick there to really fly the plane at anything but on the edge of stall. Assuming it does fly, I think it is safe to assume it will need high throttle. Say we pull an average of 350watts to fly, on a 3S1P pack, that would be pulling about 30A. If the battery is 2200mah, that is 15C continuous which means a 4 minute flight or less until the battery dies, a bit short for most. I don’t mean to run over your puppy, but I think you may enjoy this plane a bit more with a larger motor and battery.

While I can do the math, and understand electric motors, I don’t have enough experience with specific motor brands/models in the size range you’d be looking at to make a recommendation other than I'd think a 800W motor would be better. If you don’t get a good response here from others, maybe you could post a question in the electrics forum about recommended setup (motor, battery, ESC.) I’d suggest you indicate in the post plane type (aerobatic), weight before battery/motor, wing area, and wing span. Also include a pic like you did here. I’m pretty sure you’ll get some good feedback.

Could you recommend a good 800w that can run on 2 3sp1 LiPos? The thing is that I do not want to have to buy another type of battery. To clarify, I have quite a few 3sp1 LiPo batteries of varying capacities and currently have 8 2200mah 3sp1 20C LiPo which I use for my different vehicles (helis and planes alike) and really do not want to have to buy any 4 or 5 cell lipo that would only be used for a single plane. I have no problems or objections to running 2 3cell lipos together though.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Missileman

How about this one motor:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWV3&P=V
It is used in a similar sized plane:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVEL2&P=0