Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

DUBRO PNEUMATIC TIRES - leaking air

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

DUBRO PNEUMATIC TIRES - leaking air

Old 11-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Firebird25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DUBRO PNEUMATIC TIRES - leaking air

There seems to be little practical information available regarding the air valves installed on these tires. Recently I have outfitted several of my planes [Sr. Telemaster, DHC-3 Otter and Kadet Sr] with these wheels/tires and some tires will hold the pressure, whereas others will not. I thought about removing and applying some clear silicone caulk around the valve stems and then re-inserting it. Any thoughts on the matter?
Old 11-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Steve Steinbring

Default RE: DUBRO PNEUMATIC TIRES - leaking air

I think you should find out where the leaks are before doing anything. Take the wheels off the airplanes and put them in a tub of water observing whats leaking.

I wouldn't use silicone, but a sealant like "Green Slime" which is sold at Walmart and auto stores. Will seal most small leaks without a problem. I use Green Slime in my lawn mower tires which were constantly a problem going flat due to thorns in certain parts of the mow areas, it solved the problem.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Firebird25

Steve,

Good suggestion. I called Dubro customer service in the meantime and was told that using silicone caulk would not work. In fact, there's a "pocket" that the valve fits in and only when the tires are over inflated, would they leak around the valve stems. Also if you by accident push the valve into the tire, not to go fish for it as you would damage the "pocket" and have instant leakage. Further, I was told not to store aircraft standing on their wheels as that would also accelerate deflation...

Is the name of the sealant actually "Green Slime" ?
Old 11-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Steve Steinbring

Believe it or not its really "Green Slime". I purchased my last bottle at Walmart in the automotive department. Stuff works!
Old 11-11-2008, 02:21 AM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Green Slime is AWESOME. Follow the instructions and you'll be amazed at the results.

Best Regards,
Flak