Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

preventing gummed engines?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

preventing gummed engines?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Dave trimmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default preventing gummed engines?

One of my first planes is currently gummed up because it has sat for a long while without running. I am packing up my planes to prepare for college, and want to know if there is a way to use after run oil to prevent the other engines from gumming up. I never ran my engines dry at the field, but I do know this will be a problem over an extended amount of time if I don't, and I really don't want to take them all outside, set them all up just to run after run oil through them.

thanks, dave
Old 11-27-2008, 11:08 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: preventing gummed engines?

Put some thin oil in them like 3 and 1 or WD40 to try to break up the gum. The WD40 is not recommended for long term storage or continuous use

I use ATF or Dexron or Mercon oil for after run oil. It cuts and dissolves the gum forming oils and does not evaporate or dry up.

Some people use Marvel Mystery air tool oil
Old 11-27-2008, 11:09 PM
The Ghost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, They are gummed up because of the castor in the fuel, Just take out the plug inject some oil in and in the carb and turn over a heap to get it into the bearings. If the motors are out of the model take of the back plate and wash out with some fuel and then oil up. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 11-28-2008, 12:22 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The quickest thing that is gonna free up a (gummed) motor is fuel,,,and it already has oil of some kind in it...put a few drops in the cylinder and a few in the carb and slowly move it back and forth until you are comfortable turning it over....Rog