Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Big Stik 40 -dihedral?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Great Planes Big Stik 40 -dihedral?

Old 01-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Spacemonkey71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Big Stik 40 -dihedral?

Well, I've been off on a "plane buying spree" I'm even more glad that my wife doesn't know ! My 1st buy was a ParkZone Corsair + glue + 3 tri-blade props = ~ $300; The next one (2 days later) was a Great Planes Big Stik 40. I've already got 1 ugly stik that flies (from ebay - super-cheapo model for $40), another Stik that is hand made and needs to be doped and painted (i'm absoultely terrified of flying this plane! it's TOO beautiful to even CONSIDER a possible crash... ) and now I've got the Big Stik 40.

I plan on mounting a K&B .45 on it; it's an old engine, but they run like a champ (if you stick to using 10% "pink juice" in them! Put 15% "green death" in it and POOF! The engine beats itself into a stupor....).

Here's my question: The plane can be built WITH or WITHOUT a pronounced dihedral. I'm not a super-pilot *yet!* so I can see the advantages of the dihedral giving me a way to level the plane out basically "hand's off" style; but at the same time, these planes were originally built with wings having Zero dihedral and they were touted as being a beautiful flier in the "mild" setting and a hoot-and-a-holler with the "wild" setting. What would some of you guys do in this situation? Play it safe and build it with a few degrees of dihedral or go hell-for-leather with no dihedral and learn some super cool aerobatics?

(yes, I know you CAN do aerobatics with a dihedral wing, but it's not as responsive as the no-dihedral wing)
Old 01-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Charlie P.

Default RE: Great Planes Big Stik 40 -dihedral?

I assembled mine with no dihedral. Even with the optional dihedral it won't come close to being "self rescuing". It just helps in the level flight and recovering from banks/turns. I found it to be a wonderful flying model (I had an OS 70II in mine) and lost it to a mid-air. I would recommend it as a second plane if you keep to the low rates. At no time will you be able to fly a Stik "hands off". They are not trainers; but they are great sport models.

I would vote no dihedral, but you gotta fly it. It is a beautiful sport plane and flys where you point it - but you have to tell it what to do. It has good low speed handling, and a bit of dihedral would make landings a tad easier. And also mess you up if there is a side-wind. You can also split the difference and put in a few degrees - just fill the gap with thickened epoxy and peel the covering away and glass the joint on the wing bottom where it doesn't show (the part inside the fuselage).

Enjoy
Old 01-09-2009, 04:09 PM
opjose

I would also vote to forgo the dihedral.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:11 PM
carrellh

Where did you get the info that the Big Stik has multiple options for the amount of dihedral? All I see in the instructions are steps to glue the wing together one way.

You can modify any model but GP never intended for their Stik to have multiple dihedral options. I guess I do not see the small dihedral they designed in as "pronounced." I would put it together as designed and have fun with it.

As someone who has flown a Big Stik 60, with the dihedral, I can assure you that would not level itself out if I banked and released the sticks. I guess it's possible that it would level out if it had a few thousand feet of altitude.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:35 PM
alexbent

ah i need to get a plane soon
Old 01-09-2009, 05:22 PM
TedMo

I have seen you here on the forums for quite some time now so have to assume your not a basic beginner. I would recommend doing without the dihedral. At a certain point in your flying skills if you wish to progress and be capable of more you should fly aircraft that can do more. 1 is definitly use ailerons, 2 is go to symetrical airfoils 3 go without dihedral, 4 is low or mid wings. From there anything then becomes within your capabilities.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:48 PM
chashint

I don't think the dihedral in the Big Stick is anything to concern yourself about.
Glue it together so you have no gap at the root rib.
Opinions vary on this but it looks better with just a touch of dihedral anyway.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:37 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shoulder wing designs like Stiks have a certain amount dihedral effect from the wing placement alone. So as long as the aileron servo keeps working, you will find it flys very well with a flat wing. Even with a flat wing, right rudder will roll the airplane to the right, albeit rather slowly.

However, I often see people wanting to remove the dihedral from low wing designs. Not a good idea, since using the rudder will cause the model to roll the wrong direction. A rather famous design, the Contender, has this problem.

More advanced designs attempt to completely decouple rudder and aileron response. Often they still suffer some pitch coupling to rudder which is usually mixed out at the transmitter.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:04 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: HighPlains
However, I often see people wanting to remove the dihedral from low wing designs. Not a good idea, since using the rudder will cause the model to roll the wrong direction. A rather famous design, the Contender, has this problem.
I wish someone had told me that or I'd done more research a few years ago when I tried to build a 4* with a flat wing but I had to learn the hard way instead. It flew of course but it definitely wasn't as nice as the stock wing.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Charlie P.

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

Shoulder wing designs like Stiks have a certain amount dihedral effect from the wing placement alone. So as long as the aileron servo keeps working, you will find it flys very well with a flat wing. Even with a flat wing, right rudder will roll the airplane to the right, albeit rather slowly.

More advanced designs attempt to completely decouple rudder and aileron response. Often they still suffer some pitch coupling to rudder which is usually mixed out at the transmitter.
Yeah, but it sure is fun to fly otherwise! I put an OS 70II in this one, too (and added 30% more area to the rudder). I was more a wobble than a fierce Dutch Roll, really. The uplifted wing tips supposedly help. Computer radios can now correct any faults the Contender had.

And, by the way, if you're working towards a War Bird build the Contender 60 is an excellent step in the right direction. The apron flap can be thought of as rectacts training for a scale warbird. You have to slow her on approach or be ready for a wicked flair. But at least it's a reminder AWAY from the ground instead of a sudden pitch downward. It's a fun build and the kit is near bullet-proof as a balsa model can get. The Contender is a plane you can fly every day for years. I built this one in 2003 and it is my most often flown plane and my favorite Sunday fun-fly model.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95719.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1107258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37194.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1107259  
Old 01-09-2009, 10:06 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a lot of "Sticks" over the years

Forget the dihedral
Old 01-09-2009, 10:28 PM
dignlivn

I assembled my arf per the Manual. It is my
second plane and it's great. Compared to my
Astro Hog on my building bench, it has very little
Dihedral which is being built per the manual also.

Bob

Name:	Lj21735.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1107297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85223.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1107298  
Old 01-10-2009, 07:28 AM
xcfds65
My Feedback: (10)

I would leave any dihedral out of the wing. the stick is a sweet flying plane anyways. I have two of them and love the way they fly.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:24 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

A low wing airplane will require a slight dihedral or dihedral effect from thickness taper to acheve neutral roll stability as indicated by High Plains.

A mid wing or in some cases a shoulder wing airplane will acheve neutral roll stability with close to a flat wing.

A high wing cabin or parasol will require anhedral to acheve neutral roll stability.

Name:	Ca81509.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1107520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84921.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	1107521