Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Bowed wing panels

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Bowed wing panels

Old 01-11-2009, 09:17 PM
BananaHands

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bowed wing panels

I know that this probably belongs in the building board but seeing how it is somewhat embarrassing, I am hoping that it is common rookie mistake....

Is there any way to correct a bowed wing panel? I know the cause, it was a bad building board and maybe some poor choices when it came to the spars. Is it possible just to wet it and bend it back? I used alphetic resin instead of CA (I think) if that changes the method. Thanks in advance,

Mike
Old 01-11-2009, 09:39 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Bowed wing panels

If you can set it up with shims or blocks and weights to force it the other way and leave it that way for a while you may be able to reset the trueness of the frame

After you get it jigged up you may want to wet the areas you want to bend
Old 01-11-2009, 09:41 PM
TFF

How bad is it? Might not matter. What kind of plane? You can try wetting it and try to put an opposite bend in it. You have to go past the flatness and hold it until it drys. Supporting the center and weighting the ends. Type of glue does not matter I can build crooked with both.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:51 PM
BananaHands

Hey, thanks for the quick replies. To answer your questions TFF, it is a Great Planes PT-40 mkII and it looks bad but I'm not very sure how bad it will be. I can try to get a picture but I don't know how soon that will be. Now for a few more questions, If I wet it and straighten it, how will I preserve the washout or is washout not that big of a deal? Also, I built the wing with more dihedral, is there any fixing this? Can I just cut it in half and reposition the leftover braces? How should I plan for the addition of floats in the future? Again, I appreciate your help, I need to hurry up and learn so I can start my Top Flite Bonanza.

Mike
Old 01-11-2009, 09:57 PM
w8ye

i would saw it into at the middle and cheek some new doublers onto the outside of the original dihedral brace doublers
Old 01-12-2009, 10:04 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Getting back to the original question, again, a lot depends on the amount of bow.

For a PT-40 you can get away with a TON of mistakes and still have an airplane that flies well.

The washout will be more important. If, while straightening the bow, you remove or increase the washout on one side and not the other, the plane will want to roll to one side or the other.

So if the bow is not too bad, leave it alone.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:16 AM
jetmech05

if it's not too bad you can remove the bow when you cover the wing...just take the warp out and heat the covering on the side that will hold the wing where you want it
Old 01-12-2009, 01:37 PM
w8ye

I have a old Sig LT40 ARF that was bought when the ARF first came out. It was an excellent ARF to assemble but the right wing panel was warped something terrible with about 5 degrees wash-in. The wing is warped up at the leading edge about half way out. All my efforts to correct the warp were fruitless as eventually the warp would return.

I drooped the right aileron some to compensate. You would think this would be a snap stall waiting to happen at landing. But a couple hundred flights and 10 years later and she's still flying with never an accident. It flies perfect.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:06 PM
xcfds65
My Feedback: (10)

All i can say is if that plane is 10 years old you take very good care of your planes. I have some that are about 5-6 years old and they look like it. covering is coming off in some places and you can tell we land on grass the wheels are green LOL. Nice plane. and on the warped wing all i can say is good luck i have never been able to get the warp out of a wing after it gets that way i just have to deal with it.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Boeing727
My Feedback: (1)

A snap stall ?

Hmmmmm.