Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Extra 300 40 Size

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Great Planes Extra 300 40 Size

Old 02-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Jacked69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Extra 300 40 Size

Has anyone seen the new Extra 40 size from GP? That is a sharp plane, I do not have any 3d planes but I was wondering what do you fellas think the cost of the arf will be? The video was impressive.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:25 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Extra 300 40 Size

Two bills.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:36 AM
ChuckW

I back ordered one last night. It was $199 but I had a $30 off coupon.

This looks to be a very nice airplane but since this a beginners forum I will clarify by saying it is definitely advanced, not a beginner airplane at all.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:29 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Why even post this in Beginner's?
Old 02-03-2009, 02:51 AM
HighPlains

The numbers look pretty good on this design if the lighter ones are reached with glow engines. A third or forth airplane perhaps. Before attempting one like this, you should be flying a low wing tail dragger.

To tell if you are really ready, can you put a wood prop on your plane and do 100 take-offs and landing without breaking the prop? If the answer is no, then you need more experience.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:17 PM
lordmerren

Why even post this period.. His time would be better spent going to Great Planes web site and reading the prices in their ads.

Lm
Old 02-03-2009, 05:37 PM
CGRetired

I watched the video. I didn't see much "flying" going on. Not for the light hearted nor the beginner.

CGr.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90143.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	1126765  
Old 02-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Jacked69

Wow sorry for the post at all. Just delete it.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:13 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: MikeL

Maybe he wants to begin 3D flying?
Old 02-04-2009, 01:10 PM
MikeL

Awesome. The 3D forum is great for that. And the ARF forum is a great place to ask about new ARFs. A good part of the value of RCU is that things are organized so that all of us can find the information we're looking for.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:23 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I think his question is valid, and I would undoubtedly be asking the same thing if I were looking for a third plane. Jacked69: Since the Extra is a 3D sport stunt plane, it should be a little easier to handle on low rates than a Mustang with higher wing loading. I think you mentioned that you have the Top-Flite ARF. The Edge will probably help you prepare for it. I would buy it, then practice on the low-wing trainer for a few flights to sharpen the rudder/aileron skills. Then, transition to it. Since it is 3D capable, the control surfaces will be larger and it will be capable of slower flight using the prop wash, and this takes a little skill.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-04-2009, 06:16 PM
MikeL

Of course it's a valid question - - there are just better places for it.

It's not his fault, though. This is just the kind of thing he does. It's the fault of the moderators, who don't seem to try to organize the forums much anymore.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:28 PM
xcfds65
My Feedback: (10)

Boy this is a bunch. glad i don't have any thing i need to know about. And if i do i will make dang sure i get it in the right forum the first time. Give the guy a brake
Old 02-04-2009, 06:42 PM
CGRetired

xcfds65, Jacked69:

Of course, I was just kidding.. hope you guys (or no one else) took that seriously. If you want to hover, knock yerself out!!! It just isn't for me, although I have a decal on my plane that looks exactly as the one I put in my post.. . I got it from someone here on RCU.. won't mention any names, though..

CGr.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:07 PM
MikeL

ORIGINAL: xcfds65

Give the guy a brake
That's actually pretty close to the idea!
Old 02-05-2009, 11:55 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: xcfds65

Boy this is a bunch. glad i don't have any thing i need to know about. And if i do i will make dang sure i get it in the right forum the first time. Give the guy a brake

Don't worry about it, some people just like to complain. I think the site is run pretty well, if I didn't then I would find another.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:58 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: Jacked69

Wow sorry for the post at all. Just delete it.

I think what is being communicated in short form, is frequently beginners have a tendency to bite off more than they can chew early in the hobby and get frustrated, some even quit.

This is the case here. With only Alpha trainer flying experience, you've already purchased pattern, warbird, and now considering 3D planes, and only rely upon simulator experience to move ahead. In the RC Combat section, this thread was started also:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_83...tm.htm#8386623

I've tried to convince beginners not to get ahead more than I can count. It takes a few crashes for them to be convinced sometimes, if they remain in the hobby. We look over the beginner forum to help people avoid these mistakes. I don't see anything wrong repetition for emphasis, but you're getting sound advice, not criticism.

One more important thread, difficulty with just reaming a spinner is a good indicator of limited experience, so the 3D idea is truly getting ahead of yourself.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_83...tm.htm#8382661

These should be put on a shelf,
the Avistar RTF should be flown for a few weeks/months,
and I recommend building your first ARF by yourself to speed up the learning curve.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:59 AM
KW_Counter

Hey,
There's a guy in another thread asking about the throws on his Edge.
Why aren't you over there beating him up?

Many times I have asked questions in the appropriate forum and not gotten an answer.
I've asked the same question in the Beginners forum and gotten a lot of answers.
This is the most popular forum and there are a lot of people hanging out here who want to help.

If you don't like the way the moderators are doing it, go start your own site.

KW_Counter
Old 02-07-2009, 03:34 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Looking at his post in the combat section, I see that he has some experience with a Hangar-9 Sopwith Camel. Those are known to be tricky planes to fly, especially with the ground handling. I see no reason why he shouldn't be able to fly the Edge, which will most likely handle like the Pulse only a little faster. He has only been on this board since November, and has added quite a bit to his collection in that short time period because he wants to have everything he needs on hand while he can afford it. I don't see any problem with his questions, and I also don't feel he is doing anything wrong. A combat racer may be a little over his head, yes. But I don't see why he shouldn't be able to fly the Extra as a "third" plane. With the successful Sopwith flights, it'll probably be his fourth actually.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-07-2009, 03:49 PM
HighPlains

Just because you can fly an Extra does not mean that you have nothing to learn.

The principal problem people have moving up to more advanced models is pattern work. Take-offs, and flying a down wind leg, base leg, and final approach without stalling in a turn or collapsing the landing gear on the first bounce called landing.

Too many people can only land from one direction, or roll one way. Clearly they need more practice. Do you line up with the runway or does the wind decide your direction?

Walk up and down the line of pilots when they fly at your local field. How many are using both sticks on the transmitter? Far too many pilots treat the throttle as an on/off switch, and rudder for steering on the ground only.

Ask youself, could you do 100 take-offs and landings with your current model without breaking a wood prop? Simple task, like shooting free throws if you are a point guard.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:51 PM
rambler53

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

Looking at his post in the combat section, I see that he has some experience with a Hangar-9 Sopwith Camel. ...But I don't see why he shouldn't be able to fly the Extra as a "third" plane. With the successful Sopwith flights, it'll probably be his fourth actually.

NorfolkSouthern
I don't know where you read that, but he told me he's flown the Alpha 40 only, but many planes on the simulator, with winter set in with snow. He's been in ordering mode, a Pulse 60, GP Minnow, and others, as you say, it's a good time to stock up.
He also has an Avistar advanced trainer, great second step, then the Pulse 60 would get him tail wheel experience.

The Sopwith is probably sim experience, I read in the ad it was never flown when it was listed.

It's common for beginners to get defensive when a plane is told to be "too much" for them. Many have supported these forums and can only provide good advice to beginners if the information supplied is accurate.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:16 PM
MikeL

Jason says a great many things. How much of it is true is just something the reader has to decide for themselves.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:33 PM
NorfolkSouthern

You assume he's flown a Sopwith or did he say he did? He told me he only flew his Alpha 40 trainer, period. He's looking for the next step.
If he has only flown the Alpha 40, then I would definitely say the other planes in his collection would be out of his skill level, Except for the Avistar. Maybe the Pulse if he has enough time on his trainer. The best thing for him at this point would be more stick time to build up skills. I fully agree with that.

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

Just because you can fly an Extra does not mean that you have nothing to learn.

The principal problem people have moving up to more advanced models is pattern work. Take-offs, and flying a down wind leg, base leg, and final approach without stalling in a turn or collapsing the landing gear on the first bounce called landing.

Too many people can only land from one direction, or roll one way. Clearly they need more practice. Do you line up with the runway or does the wind decide your direction?

Walk up and down the line of pilots when they fly at your local field. How many are using both sticks on the transmitter? Far too many pilots treat the throttle as an on/off switch, and rudder for steering on the ground only.

Ask youself, could you do 100 take-offs and landings with your current model without breaking a wood prop? Simple task, like shooting free throws if you are a point guard.
As for me, the wind decides my direction and sometimes I have no choice but to deal with cross winds. When it blows too much, I make the decision to not fly that day. I have done at least 100 takeoffs and landings on my Rapture 40 and Tango each, over the last season. They still have the same props. Well, not wood so I guess I cheated. And of course, I have fully trimmed out and have about 10 flights on my Citabria, using the prop from the Rapture 40. After putting some more time on it, I hope to make a few runs with my 40 sized Giles 202, which I think will be the most challenging in my collection so far. Since an Edge or Extra has more wing area, I'm still not yet placing bets on a crash/rebuild post after the maiden flight. Not yet. We'll see!

All of this, I admit, doesn't mean I'm fully qualified to assess other's abilities to handle something like an Extra 300S. I can be wrong in many cases. I will know more when I get the chance to fly one. Here's what I do know: Excessively slow speeds will cause even a low-wing trainer to go into a stall, and spin. Too much throw on the elevator will too. That happened to me when I misjudged my Rapture 40's limits. They say that the second plane is often the one that crashes the most, and I don't doubt that. If Jacked69 is reading this, I hope it will help him get a better idea of what may happen, depending on the scenario. I only wish him success, and that he won't have to learn some of the hard lessons experienced by many of us.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-07-2009, 06:43 PM
rambler53

If Jacked69 is reading this, I hope it will help him get a better idea of what may happen, depending on the scenario. I only wish him success, and that he won't have to learn some of the hard lessons experienced by many of us.

NorfolkSouthern
Well said, that's really what the forums are all about, saving modelers/pilots time with not repeating the same costly mistakes.