Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Ernst Charge Receptacle...?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Ernst Charge Receptacle...?

Old 02-06-2009, 01:24 AM
ponda
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ernst Charge Receptacle...?

OK....whats the deal with these things....I have Futaba stuff,,so I bought Ernst plug for Futaba...No way that fits...went back to LHS..they said"you have to use the JR one to get the Futaba to work. Now seriously..is this the way the Ernst folks decided to do this....I bought the JR one..but pushed..shoved..everything to try and get ther Futaba plug onto that $^&&#&^( plug receiver..No Way! I then trimmed the little Futaba wing off the switch plug that is supposed to go to the Ernst charge receptacle..it finally went in..Now I'm afraid by trimming it, its gonna come out! I mean ..come on ....Whats with these guys....? Are these Ernst guys doing the wacky backky or what??

Any comments..suggestions appreciated....

Old 02-06-2009, 01:39 AM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Ernst Charge Receptacle...?

Well it kind of depends on what Futaba 'stuff' you have. Assuming you are using the 'J' style plug you need Ernst #124. Works like a charm. I've used them for more years than I can recall without a problem.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:58 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

I too have used the Ernst #124 for many years. You just have to pry the little clips open with a small screwdriver to get the charge plug in there. And its REALLY hard to get them back out again. Once its in there it holds like the dickens! Make sure you think about how all the pieces go together BEFORE you start snap the charge jack in! Ask me how I know! Run the charge jack wire through the screw hole piece first, then run it through the hole in the fuselage, then put the rubber plug on the main piece, then snap the charge plug into the main piece. Finally, screw the pieces together in the fuselage hole. Works great!
Old 02-06-2009, 03:10 AM
ponda

No..thats not the problem.....its the opening that does not let the charge jack in or any other rc device to check battery.....there is no room around the perimeter of the enclosed plug to allow anything else to fit in to connect to it. Evidently hte LHS I deal with seems to be aware of this...maybe a bad run/batch was made some time ago....
Old 02-06-2009, 05:06 AM
Sandmann_AU

Thought about getting one of the many types of on board LED volt meter's like the ones on [link=http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/?cat=45]this page[/link]?
Old 02-06-2009, 08:16 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't use these as they are trouble in the long run and add more weight
Old 02-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Sandmann_AU

I've got them in all of my planes - what sort of trouble have you had with them? As for weight, they're all of about 5 grams and since I put them inside the cockpits they're always pretty close to the CG anyway so I doubt it'll have any significant impact on the wing loading.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:28 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't use the Ernst receptacles either. From my experiences the charge plug would pop out of the receptacle too easily. I use the Dubro and Great Planes switch mounts instead. Both of these have mounts for the charge plug in them.

Ken
Old 02-06-2009, 08:37 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto.

I use these every chance I get. They are fantastic!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD665&P=SM
Old 02-06-2009, 09:35 AM
bruce88123

I use them too and have NEVER had a problem. As for Ken's problem of the plug popping out, my problem was getting them to come out when I wanted them to later. I think it's possible to get it upside down (keying) and that may be your problem. The cable prefers to be installed one way if I recall.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Dsegal

> maybe a bad run/batch was made some time ago....<

The plugs are a very tight fit going into the jack receptacle. But there have been some bad jacks that were impossibly tight. Contact the maker and see if they will help you. And look carefully inside to see which side the tiny lip that guides the connector is located.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:58 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Mine work fine. To check my batteries with it, I took the outer sleeve off my voltage meter plug. The pins are unprotected but they are very hard to damage and it goes in its own tray anyway. The meter plug will slip into the hole very easily.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:38 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: ponda

No..thats not the problem.....its the opening that does not let the charge jack in or any other rc device to check battery.....there is no room around the perimeter of the enclosed plug to allow anything else to fit in to connect to it. Evidently hte LHS I deal with seems to be aware of this...maybe a bad run/batch was made some time ago....
It is possible to over tighten the mounting screws which can warp the receptacle which makes it hard to get the plug in. Snug is all you need. Try this; before you tighten the screws down plug the charge jack in. Then tighten everything until it is snug and the plug goes in and out with just a little effort. Quite frankly I won't use anything else. I have had such a great experience with these.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:01 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the [link=http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-4.html]SOFT MOUNT ONE-PIECE CHARGE SWITCH with LED VOLTAGE DISPLAY [/link] from Maxx products. One had a rather violent incident with the ground and won - it still works but has a section of the case broken off. I haven't heard of any problems with these, but they are expensive. I like the build-in LED which so far has proven accurate when I've double check with a loaded volt meter.

Hogflyer
Old 02-06-2009, 04:13 PM
seahwk95

I just had the SAME issue with the futaba J charge receptacles from ERNST. I actually bought 2 thinking one was bad. Just like Ponda, there was no space (even before mounting) to allow the J plug from my voltmeter to seat with the female connector from the battery. The interesting thing is, although it was a tight fit, I could get the wall-wart charger plug into it. I bought one of the Expert Electronics Charge Receptacles (Advantage has them as did a LHS) and it worked like a charm. The only catch is that these do not come withthe rubber plug that the ERNST does but I just moved it from the ERNST.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Stuntpilot51

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

I use the [link=http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-4.html]SOFT MOUNT ONE-PIECE CHARGE SWITCH with LED VOLTAGE DISPLAY [/link] from Maxx products. One had a rather violent incident with the ground and won - it still works but has a section of the case broken off. I haven't heard of any problems with these, but they are expensive. I like the build-in LED which so far has proven accurate when I've double check with a loaded volt meter.

Hogflyer

Hogflyer,
DITTO! That's the only switch I use. I toss the cheap Futaba stock switch with it's 28 guage wire. I'm really happy they started using the plastic backing plate with the recessed nut holders, makes it much easier to install. No need for the rubber plug which you always lose, just close the door.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:49 PM
ponda

Hi Seawk..Finally someone with the same problem..thought I was losing what remains of my mind....I actually talked with Ernst in Oregon..Yep...they admit something went wrong, but don't think it is a big issue for them...They are sending some JR plugs to me...said these work with the Futaba...go figure...
Old 02-06-2009, 09:30 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just gave up on the charge plug receptacles.

saves weight

saves money

Saves frustration

Faster hook up
Old 02-07-2009, 02:27 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Yea they're SOOO heavy! And with the money you save you could almost buy a cheeseburger! Gosh!
Old 02-07-2009, 02:58 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Count me in with the guys that like the charge switch. Heavy-duty EMS charge switches are the cat's meow.