Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

hi-band vs. low band which is better

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

hi-band vs. low band which is better

Old 02-06-2009, 04:13 PM
alexedit
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi-band vs. low band which is better

I am buying a futaba receiver and I have two options. Low band and high band. the descriptions say that the hi-band can take crystals from channel 37 and up.

two questions: is hi-band better than low band? - what happens if I use a crystal channel 32 on a hi-band receiver?
Old 02-06-2009, 04:24 PM
bruce88123

Default RE: hi-band vs. low band which is better

No real difference between the bands as far as quality. It's just a tuning thing. If you cross the bands low crystal in a high RX or vice verse the RX will be slightly less sensitive.

If you buy http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLSX4&P=SM it is NOT high/low sensitive and can use ANY correct Futaba 72MHz crystal. Ch 11 and above.

Aftermarket RX's are also not sensitive to this condition nor are other major brands.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:50 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As Bruce says, you'll get lower performance. What does that mean?? Well, it means you could lose your plane. Always use the correct crystal for that band that the receiver is on.

Which one is better?? Doesn't matter, they are the same. Low band is channels 11-35 and high band is channels 36-60. It really boils down to what's better for the area you are in as to what channel to use. The best thing to do is contact the club where you are flying and find out if they have any recommendations. A lot of clubs keep a list of the channels that their members use, that way you can choose one that has fewer pilots on it. But that can be bad too. At some fields they don't use certain channels because there is interference on that channel. That's another reason for contacting the club, they can tell you what channels to stay away from.

Ken
Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To my knowledge any more only some of the Futaba receivers are low band / high band.

The newer 8 channel receiver covers the whole band

Other brands of receivers cover the whole band
Old 02-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Charlie P.

When you sit back and consider lowest is 72,010,000 Hertz highest is 72,990,000 Hertz and there is only 1.3% difference in the extremes it don't matter a squat as long as the receiver is tuned well to the transmitter and the batteries for both are good.

I would not try to cross the high/low gap swapping crystals. It may work if you only hop a few channels, but it may not. There are plenty of other opportunities to crash and I don't need added help.

It would matter more where the open pins are at your club. If there are six guys fighting for channel 42 and no one wanting channel 34 the choice is pretty obvious.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:53 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

w8ye,
I just picked up two the Futaba 4 channel mini receivers designed for park flyers ( [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXASY3&P=SM]R114F[/link] ) and they are still tuned Low/High band.

Ken
Old 02-07-2009, 12:44 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ken,

I went and looked. They still sell a lot of that Low/high stuff

I had in mind the old 127 compared with the newer 168

I'm a 40-60 glow guy
Old 02-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And I learned the hard way not to mix a low band chrystal in a high band RX. It was real ugly!!!![X(]