Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Major Injury at the Field Today

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Major Injury at the Field Today

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Bob Mitchell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Injury at the Field Today

Sadly, one of our members lost the tips of the little, ring and middle finger on his left hand this afternoon between the nail bed and first nuckle. One remained barely connected, the other two were severed and recovered. Hopefully the physicians will be able to successfully reconnect. I checked on him earlier this evening and the information desk still had him listed in the ER so I don't have any further information about his condition. He stood and supported his own weight as they got him on the gurney for transport, but obviously with some assitance, and was answering questions about medications he was on, any allergies, etc. Very pale but talking and lucid. I don't know all the details, as I arrived at the field just behind the EMTs, and in the excitement I've heard a couple of slightly conflicting stories. Several members were attending to Dale, and several others were searching for the fingertips. One was located near the plane, the other was 20 to 30 feet away.

I won't speculate on exactly what happened, but I do know that the plane was at idle, and for some reason went to full throttle. The pilot was in front of the plane, the left wing hit his legs and it started to pivot around him. At that point he apparently made an instinctive grab, and got his left hand into the arc. It's a large scale aerobat, Extra I think, ~100+" WS, DA 100, carbon fiber prop, etc. It could have been much worse.

As I get confirmed details of exactly how it happened I'll pass 'em on. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:55 PM
TakingFlight96

Default RE: Major Injury at the Field Today

I will keep him in my thoughts & prayers. I guess it just goes to show you that this hobby isn't all fun & games, you do need to be careful and accidents can happen, and they do. This is a great indicator to Beginners that Props are dangerous & safety needs to be taken seriously around them. That is just one of the moments were you have to react fast, and sadly most people try to grab something thats spinning at many thousands of RPM's. I agree with you, It could've been much worse. I could never imagine being in that situation or being a bystander. Give him my condolences.

TF96
Old 03-21-2009, 09:59 PM
richardci
My Feedback: (10)

Bob,
Pass along this info, it pertains to finger injury by a prop!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxhi4Q8EDTU
Old 03-21-2009, 10:03 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: richardci

Bob,
Pass along this info, it pertains to finger injury by a prop!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxhi4Q8EDTU
That is ThunderbirdJunkie's local HTUSA! We like that guy, he's cool.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:47 PM
cowboydfk

Very sorry to hear about your friend[&o].I see guy's at the field using stakes and rope to hold down the tail of them big planes.Let us know how your freind is when you hear.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:21 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about your friend. The worst I saw was a guy kneeled down into the prop. It took a 4x4 piece of skin off; gone. I try to get the point to beginners that they are not toys; most give you the glazed look of "Yes, Dad," and they are older than me!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:49 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Sounds like he's lucky he didn't lose his hand! A da100 with a CF prop could do some insane damage.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:53 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

hope hes doing ok
ya hes real lucky at some 10 hp that da could have been much much worse
i bet he doesnt feel lucky though, i wouldnt either after loosing part of my hand