Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Ultra Sport 40+ Done!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Ultra Sport 40+ Done!

Old 03-22-2009, 04:07 PM
blaughn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Sport 40+ Done!

I am about to end a 20 year absence from RC. Now if the weather, particularly the wind, will cooperate.........

The Ultra Sport 40+ kit was a nice kit with a few tough elements. The turtle back and the 2-piece ABS cowl were a pain. Other than that, Great Planes lived up to their reputation.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15668.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	1163487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19870.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	1163488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49093.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	1163489  
Old 03-22-2009, 04:11 PM
xcfds65
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Ultra Sport 40+ Done!

blaughn that is a nice looking plane you have built yourself there. let us know how well it fly's for ya.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:30 PM
bonebreak

Welcome back! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I really like the color scheme. Let us know if it flies as good as it looks!
Old 03-22-2009, 05:52 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like that color scheme!
Old 03-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really raelly like the colors. I really like the plane too!! Nice job!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:53 PM
beau0090_99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Blaughn,
That is a great looking bird. If you want someone to help you with the maiden, let me know. Too bad you didn't have it done on Saturday, what a perfect day.
Send me a PM if you're interested to have someone with you.
Curtis
Old 03-22-2009, 10:17 PM
blaughn

I will keep you posted on the maiden flight. Hopefully the before and after pictures will be the same.

There is just something elegant about Red, White and Blue. I'm told the colors don't run......

"There are many old, bald pilots. There are very few old, bold pilots!"
Old 03-22-2009, 10:47 PM
draftman1

nice looking plane there. welcome back, I did the 20yr absence also, never again
Old 03-23-2009, 11:18 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

What did you use for the red, it looks metallic. I like that color, it looks like Sooner crimson!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:00 PM
hogflyer

blaughn,

That looks great! I too like the color's.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

What did you use for power and radio?

Hogflyer
Old 03-23-2009, 12:30 PM
blaughn

The white is Ultracote. The trim is Monocote metallic blue and metallic red. The cowl is sprayed with Topflight Lustercoat white. The pinstripes were cut with the Topflight pinstrip cutting machine

The canopy was tinted with Rit dye. Two packages of black, one of denim blue and one-half cup of salt disolved in 2 gallons of water. The water was 130 degree tap water. I put a plastic trash bag into an ammunition box to hold the dye solution then placed this container into a stoppered laundry tub. I then filled the tub 130 degree water to the point where the ammo box and dye solution was about ready to float. I cleaned the canopy with dish washing soap and then soaked it for 60 minutes. I replaced the water bath surrounding the ammo box several time to keep it hot. Here's a useful thread addressing this subject: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_92.../tm.htm#921515

The canopy had one edge that was very slightly curved in. This caused a bit of a clamping challenge when gluing it to the fuselage. I think I would try it without refilling the water bath - letting the dye solution cool downward from the 130 degrees next time.

By the way, the excess canopy glue came off of the canopy by using Windex window cleaner. The tint was unaffected by this cleaning as far as I can see.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:33 PM
blaughn

It is powered by an OS .46AX with a Futaba faast 2.4Htz 7c radio.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:26 PM
blaughn

I took the Ultra Sport 40+ out to do an engine run and taxi test. Aside from a tail wheel that causes the bird to track left, everything went well. After three taxi runs down the runway, she hit a little rise in the runway and a little gust of wind caused her to lift off the runway - 4 feet up and very slow! Rather than try to bring her back down, I added throttle and up she went. With that, a 20 year absence from RC was over. I was airborne.

After my heart beat returned to something closer to normal, I began a trim check. One click of aileron trim and she flew like a dream. I had the brand new OS 46ax engine running slobberingly rich but even so, this airplane is quick. I have the control surfaces set to the mildest recommended throw and the plane responded very predictably and showed no sign of edginess. She doesn't snap roll very tightly at this setting but I can tell she will with the more aggressive throws.

I got two flights in and I was most impressed by the handling during landings. She does not bleed off speed quickly so you need to start your deceleration well before the 180. I made a power off approach turn into a 6 mph wind and by the time she reached the threshold, all that was needed was a slow, gentle flare to a full stall touch down.

Her slow flight characteristics seem very docile. A slow-down to stall speed at altitude caused no wing drop at all - I simply started to mush downward with no fall off! This is a real confidence builder for your landing approaches.

The dark blue wing bottom with the white stars lived up to my expectations. It really helped keep me oriented and ahead of the bird.

I am truly pleased with this Great Planes kit. It was a fun build and it appears it will live up to its manufacture's name in the air. I can hardly wait to get past the run-in period and see what she will do then. I am a little uncomfortable with getting too aggressive with the engine running as rich as it is. I want a little more airtime before doing dead-stick practice.[]
Old 03-28-2009, 09:30 PM
bonebreak

Well heck yes!! Great to hear that the maiden went off wthout a hitch! Congrats.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:53 AM
beau0090_99

Bruce,
That is great. Congratulations on the maiden. My wife and I were out at TCRC yesterday afternoon to check out the field, as I had never been there and am considering switching fields. I met Corey who was just packing up his Eagle 2. Seems like a nice place to fly. I plan on going to the membership meeting on the 14th to check things out and get more details.
Congrats again and welcome back to the hobby, I bet it feels like you never left.
Curtis