Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Well, it finally happened...

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Well, it finally happened...

Old 04-28-2009, 02:48 PM
DustinB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, it finally happened...

Been flying since january and I've been wondering when it was going to happen, I crashed my GP Big Stik 40 today. Surprisingly it actually wasn't my fault, the front peg that holds the front of the wing on broke and the wing went flipping away in the wind. The plane rolled over and I tried to give some elevator to make it at least hit somewhat level, it still pretty much lawn darted. I knew that damn flimsy wing peg was going to fail one day, I wonder why GP hasn't done anything about it. I guess there's no warranty on this seeing as I bought it second had?

Everything seems to be ok as far as the servos and receiver are concerned, I'm just praying my brand new saito 82 golden knight is ok, looks like the carb mount is bent as well as the need valve, just from inertia.

So now I'm looking at getting a new plane, I still plan to rebuild this one but I want something else to fly in the mean time. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like a good quality built plane somewhat similar. Something that can handle the wind good. I was thinking maybe the new GP 40 size extra, the blue one, or a u can do 3d. I already have a seagull extra 300s, but it is a slight bit too much for me, really touchy. Any ideas on a fun solidly built plane? I'm hoping to put this saito 82 on it.

I will post some pics of the damage later when I get my camera out.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:16 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Well, it finally happened...

There has been a couple guys lose a wing, and they immediately went into a knife edge and landed the plane like that. I'm guessing that I don't have the skills for that yet, and I hope I never get to attempt it. Sorry for your loss, my first crash bummed me out cause it was my fault. I had it back in the air in two weeks though, luckily it just knocked the nose off.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:18 PM
dash008
My Feedback: (1)

I have a stik 40 too. I like it but if I crashed it I would probably get something else. I like the looks of the Pulse XT, but I REALLY like the looks of that new toledo special that just came out. I would get one of those which I think your saito 82 would be perfect for.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95712.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	1188544  
Old 04-28-2009, 03:18 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

You might consider the new Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF or the Phoenix Models Dolphin .40 ARF. These are two classic sport plane designs that would assembly very quickly. The canopies come pre-installed, the control surfaces come pre-hinged and pinned from the factory, and either can be ready to fly with just a few hours of final assembly.

Your Saito .82 would provide more than enough power for either. Congratulations on getting your first unscheduled landing out of the way!
Old 04-28-2009, 07:06 PM
DustinB

Thanks for the replies, I wish I had even had a chance at knife edge. At least those guys still had one wing, I just had a fuselage. The pulse and the escapade are more of sport planes aren't they? I'm looking for an easy flying plane capable of knife edge, hover, slow flight, etc.. Has anyone flown one of the GP Extra SP 46 size? Something similar?

Here are the pics, as you can see the plane isn't totally destroyed, but I won't rebuild it for a while. I'm more worried about the engine. In the pic you can see how the carb is twisted and the needle valve is bent. Is there any way to tell what all is damaged? This is my first crash and I don't know where to begin other than the obvious bent needle.

Thanks

Oh yeah, and to top it off, I decided to fly my trex 450 once the wind died down and had bad luck there too. So far I'm 0 and 2 today. Nothing bad happened other than a broken main blade and landing gear. ESC apparently cut off from low voltage and it didn't want to auto rotate for some reason. Landed hard on the gear upright.

Name:	Bz78532.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1188653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70726.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	1188654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91141.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1188655  
Old 04-28-2009, 07:09 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Heck,that's only a day or so worth of repair!!!! You got lucky, most lawn dart landings wind up destroying the fuselage!!!

Ken
Old 04-28-2009, 07:22 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, that's minor damage compared to what it could have been. Looks like a good rebuilding project to me.

DustinB, you mentioned the new GP Extra-300SP. That is an incredible airplane. The quality is outstanding and it the flying quality is unbelievable. That being said, it may not be the best plane if you have only been flying since January. Even though it is a great airplane, it is VERY aerobatic and does things quickly. I'd personally recommend that you fly something like the Stik or a good low wing sport plane for a while first. That way you can enjoy the Extra since you'll be more ready for it down the road. There is no way I could have handled the Extra after 4-5 months of flying. That's my two cents worth anyhow.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:11 PM
DustinB

I plan to rebuild it, just not right away. That little peg on the front breaking has really got me irritated with this plane.

I already have a seagull extra 300s 75 size that I've flown a few times, never landed it myself though. I think the guy had the throws set way too high, above recommended low rates so it seemed really responsive. I could already make the stick do anything I wanted and fly around with the throws maxed out. I've also flown and landed everything in realflight g4.5 with no problems at all. I've flown a few different planes at least a couple days a week almost all day since I started and I spend about 30 min to an hour or more a day on the simulator before bed.

I was thinking if I toned down the throws and dialed in a good bit of expo I could fly the GP Extra SP or the GP U-Can-Do 3D. Am I just having wishful thinking? Anything else similar to these planes? I like to hover, stall turns, inverted flight, knife edge, almost stalling slow flight,etc...
Old 04-28-2009, 08:50 PM
dash008

A Twist I think would just about meet your needs. It's a really nice airplane.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:58 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DustinB
I was thinking if I toned down the throws and dialed in a good bit of expo I could fly the GP Extra SP or the GP U-Can-Do 3D. Am I just having wishful thinking? Anything else similar to these planes? I like to hover, stall turns, inverted flight, knife edge, almost stalling slow flight,etc...
In my opinion the Extra is a much better plane than the U-Can-Do; I own the Extra and I have owned the U-Can-Do. There is really no comparison between the two, they're entirely different types of airplanes with the Extra being much more precise. The Extra may not be as forgiving as the U-Can-Do though since it doesn't have that huge thick wing to make it float around.

Is either one wishful thinking? Hard to say with seeing your skills in person. Generally neither is the best ideas for someone who has flown for such a short period of time but I suppose there are always rare exceptions.

I would think long and hard before making a decision and maybe get some input from a few experienced pilots at your field.

If you do end up getting the GP Extra, fly it on the recommended low rates for a while. It will be plenty aerobatic even then.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:09 PM
dash008

By the way I understand how you feel. I crashed my Big Stik the first time I flew it. Broke the fuse in half and tore up the wing. I had to work on something else for a couple weeks until the emotions went away and then I was able to fix it. It flies better now. And I'm not so worried about keeping it perfect anymore now that it's got a big fat doubler on the tail and packing tape holding the covering down. I fly it on high rates all the time with about 40% expo. You mentioned you want an easy flier that will do all the stuff you mentioned, knife edge, etc... and then slow down and land like a trainer... I don't know any other plane that does that as good as this one... Any of the sticks, big, ultra, etc...

Name:	Hf98288.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1188704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41060.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1188705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93244.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1188706  
Old 04-29-2009, 06:17 AM
dignlivn

Sorry to hear about your crash.

Thanks for the heads up about the wing issue. I have the same
plane and engine except mine is the standard saito 82.

Think i'll look at mine and try and beef up that area in question.

Bob

Name:	Mk25661.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1188878  
Old 04-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consider a SIG Somethin' Extra. I have two of em with Saito 82's. It's a great combo. Also, replace that wing peg with a carbon fiber one when you do your repairs.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:03 PM
opjose

What wing peg are they talking about?

The leading edge peg, seems to be OK in the pictures or did I miss something?

Old 04-29-2009, 12:53 PM
vmsguy

Oh yeah, and to top it off, I decided to fly my trex 450 once the wind died down and had bad luck there too. So far I'm 0 and 2 today.

You're doin' OK.. a guy at our field loves to do hovers. And loves to do them about 10' off the ground. Darn good pilot... when the mechanicals are up to snuff. Last summer he had a big profile plane (Saito 100-ish on the nose) had it hovering. The engine had been acting up all day. But he hovered anyway... Needless to say.. "Burp, smash, splinters."

But he's got the record... as far as I know.. 4 birds in one day.

First name Gordon. Nickname.. "Crash"
Old 04-29-2009, 01:48 PM
dignlivn

ORIGINAL: opjose

The peg in question is part of the First rib on each wing half. When joined together they
create a peg the slides into the top of the fuse. I had put some epoxy on mine,when
I assembled it to hopefully give it more strength. IMO it is a weak link in a great aircraft.

Bob
Old 04-29-2009, 01:50 PM
DustinB

ORIGINAL: opjose

The peg on the center leading edge of the wing, you can see part of it, but the part that connects with the fuselage is what broke off.

I stopped by the hobby shop today to get some parts for my trex and for my saito. I ended up getting a great planes reactor that I had been eyeing for a while. Should be a good plane once I fix some minor problems this plane is known for. Got a hell of a deal on it, $100 less than tower sells it for. Anyone flown this plane before?

Update: I just got off the phone with great planes and they told me since I had a saito 82 on it they wouldn't warranty it, even though I was flying fairly slow while straight and level. What a great company. [sm=thumbs_down.gif]
Old 04-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Dumptrucker

I also crashed my plane. I had the Exceed RC 3 J-3 Piper cub. one of those really cheap beginners planes. I don't think it's repairable either.
It took a nose dive from about 40 feet straight down. All of the elecronics are still good so I can switch them to another plane when I get one.
I hope I have better luck with the next one.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:12 PM
dignlivn

I wonder if they would have stood by their product, had
you put an OS 81 on it.

Bob
Old 04-29-2009, 03:10 PM
DustinB

Yeah it's really got me pissed off, even more so than the plane breaking. I think I'm gonna have to take this reactor back, I may be done with great planes products now.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:17 PM
dignlivn

On the other hand, I wish T.H. sold Saito engines .

You said you got a good deal on, I would fly it.

JMO,

Bob
Old 05-04-2009, 06:59 PM
donjr721

sorry about your stik. i was fortunate enough to buy a stik last year at an auction for 4 bucks (no kidding) i put an ASP 61 on it, installed my gear. i should have redone the aileron linkages from the get go, they ran at an angle away from the servo instead of straight back. i had seen planes done like this before, they worked fine. i took it out, got it up, the ailerons bound and stuck me in a bank. i flew it 3/4 away around the field until it met the ground. the crash broke the left wing in half, cracked the fuselage, and ripped out the firewall. i was crushed as well. i stripped it down, reframed the wing, installed dual aileron servos (linkages short and straight to the ailerons), recovered and reinstalled everything. it flys amazing, my first stik. i don't know who it is made by, but now i have about 45 dollars wrapped up in it. my next flight with it i ripped off the main landing gear, i dead sticked it, came in hot, and set her down too hard. i have mine set up as a tail dragger. I reinforced the mains and she's ready to go again. i still can't believe the ease and maneuverability of this plane, slow or fast. i love it. keep on flyin.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:26 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah it's really got me pissed off, even more so than the plane breaking. I think I'm gonna have to take this reactor back, I may be done with great planes products now.
sorry about your stick
but
^^^ thats a little harsh. they have some very good planes.

if your ticked about the wing comming off in mid flight i can understand.
but you yourself said that you were worried about it breaking so why didnt you reinforce it?
from the looks of it that plane must have been 10 feet off the ground or landed in a haystack or some tall winter wheat or something.
any chance you over stressed the airframe? set the control throws higher than recommended? did the other guy build the plane correctly?

im not trying to be a jerk, what i learnt is.
if you are ticked off at a crash and dont bother analize how it happened, it may happen again.
so think it through, repair the plane, and have fun with it.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM
DustinB

I was planning to reinforce it, I just hadn't gotten to it. I'm not ticked off mainly that the wing came off, everyone has a problem here or there in production. What really got me mad was being told there was nothing they would do and then hanging up on me.

I went over the plane, there was plenty of epoxy used in the right places, the wooden peg just sheared right off. I never even flew it very fast, I mostly just flew around slow hovering, hammerheads, harriers, slow flight maneuvers, etc... When it happened I was actually about 30-40ft up flying fairly slow about 1/4-1/3 throttle or so. I was doing mainly the same maneuvers I just listed right before. I just got lucky it hit after a really hefty rain so the ground was nice and soft, still made a horrible sound on impact.

Like I said before, every manufacturer has a problem now and then. This one wouldn't even look at it, just "NO" and click. Wouldn't you be upset in the same situation?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Dustin,
I am sorry about your loss. But I can tell you that if that is what Great Planes said you then you are in the minority. Great Planes is probably one of the best companies out there for customer service, and they usually do whatever they can to make sure their customers are taken care of. There may be other manufacturers that might hang up on you, but that sure doesn't sound like Hobbico's way of taking care of business. If that is what happened to you I would suggest you call them again and ask to speak to a customer service supervisor.

As I look at your pictures I can't see where the "wooden peg just sheared right off." I can still see peg in the leading edge of the wing as well as the F2 former in which is sits looks to be intact as well, so it doesn't look like that was the cause of your accident. Of course I could be wrong, but that's what I see in your pictures above. This plane design has been around for quite some time and it's definitely a proven airframe.

Ken

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.