Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

ultimat 120-55"

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

ultimat 120-55"

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 02:50 PM
2PUPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ultimat 120-55"

I want to get the ultimate 120-55" , what would be a good engine to match to this plane , I dont want to under power or over power it , I know nothing about this hobby as this plane will be a gift to my nephew , he does the 3D flying if that makes a diifernce in engine type and size . Any help would be appreciated .
Old 04-29-2009, 03:06 PM
jetmech05

Default RE: ultimat 120-55"

120 is the size of the engine...for lots of power get him an OS 1.60 and pits style muffler.....
Old 04-29-2009, 03:22 PM
opjose

What engine will fit the plane, depends in large part on the plane.

It would be helpful to know WHICH Ultimate 1.20 is being discussed.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:44 PM
2PUPS

This is all I know about the plane its sold by raiden tech , ultimate 120 - 55", its an ARF nitro gas radio remote controlled biPlane , glad he`s the one that flys these things and not me , I,m just the uncle with the money . .
Old 04-29-2009, 03:58 PM
opjose

That plane will do fine with engines in the range of an two stroke 1.20 sized engine up to a two stroke 1.60 sized engine.

In the four stroke arena it will do well with engines ranging from a 4 stroke 1.20 up to a 4 stroke 1.80.

I have a Magnum 1.80 engine in this plane, and I think it is perfect for it.

The engine will mount within the cowl in a side mount configuration, with the muffler hanging down or with an extension.

The plane will also require a spinner, prop, tubing, servos, a receiver, battery pack, switch, "Y" cables, extensions, etc.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:19 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The OS 1.20AX would be another good choice. It is a two stroke. It also includes a muffler that can be used as a pitts style or a standard muffler. It is also equal power to a 1.50 to 1.80 four stroke.
I am not familiar with the exact plane he has but I fly a 54" span Goldberg Ult with this engine.

david
Old 04-29-2009, 04:22 PM
2PUPS

Hmm , servos and receiver , wth did I get myself into , lol. OK next question , whats a good choice for these items , want to set him up with a good system , but dont need to go top end either , something dependable and good quality . And thank you to the people that have helped so far and will continue to help on this project so far , maybe I need to get into this hobby and see what its all about .
Old 04-29-2009, 04:27 PM
opjose

The plane uses individual servos for each of the ailerons, so a standard servo will work fine for the ailerons & throttle ( five total ).

If I recall correctly the elevator uses two servos so either one will have to be a reversed servo, or you will need to use radio mixing to handle the elevator. Standard sized but higher torque servos would be better for the elevator.

The rudder needs a higher torque servo as well.

Either Digital or Analog servos will work.

The choice of the receiver is in part dependant upon which transmitter he already has.

You could probably let him get his own receiver as you are supplying hime with everything else it seems.

-

Old 04-29-2009, 04:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I understand what you are trying to do here as a gift, and I think it's an outstanding idea. But (isn't there always a but??? ), there might be a better way to go. Once a pilot advances to the point where they are doing 3D flying they usually start getting particular about the equipment they use in their planes. This is going to make it difficult for you to purchase a gift like this that would be what he wanted in a plane he is flying. So instead of worrying about all the "extras" for the plane you might consider a different route to go. Purchase the plane for him, and also purchase a gift certificate from Tower Hobbies for everything else. That way he would be able to put the engine and radio equipment in the plane that he wants to use. This way he'll get the plane that he wants to fly and you get to give him the gift!!

My farther-in-law did the same thing with me a while back. He purchased a Dave Patrick Ultimate for me, and then gave me his credit card number to order everything else from Tower to go in it!!!

Ken
Old 04-29-2009, 04:36 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: RCKen

My farther-in-law did the same thing with me a while back. He purchased a Dave Patrick Ultimate for me, and then gave me he credit card number to order everything else from Tower to go in it!!!

Ken
He really knew what spot to hit, it seems!
Old 04-29-2009, 04:49 PM
2PUPS

What I should have said is , I want to get him the whole sha-bang set up , plane , engine , reciever , transmitter , servos etc . I been looking at transmitters dont know all the in an outs except I,m going to be out of some dough, but he is graduating college and want to hook the kid up for his graduation gift .
Old 04-29-2009, 05:01 PM
opjose

How much did you allow in terms of dollars for all of this?

A complete setup with transmitter, can cost more than you may expect.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:04 PM
2PUPS

I was thinking about $1000 or so
Old 04-29-2009, 05:15 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me chime in here, only to offer a suggestion for you. First, do you know what he has already? If he has a suitable transmitter, one that has multiple model memories, then you don't need to focus on a transmitter. For most RC'ers, we prefer what we have already and just add to the selection of models we can fly with that transmitter. To be honest with you, you would not even have to think about getting him a new transmitter because if he IS into 3D, he most likely has a transmitter that will deal with multiple models.

So, that leaves you with an aircraft. If you have selected a model, and it sounds like you have, well, what he needs is a matching engine and maybe some servos to go with that. The receiver won't cost more than $100 no matter what you choose, so you can always provide him with a "gift certificate" for his Local Hobby Shop to buy the receiver he needs or wants. Servos are pretty much a no brainer because if you get him good servos, and they are all pretty much compatible with most radio systems (if he has Futaba, Airtronics, Hitec, Jr, Spektrum, and etc.) all the servos on the market will work. All you need to know is what aircraft you are going to buy for him and match the servos to the appropriate activity. If he is doing 3D, well, a better digital servo is in order here. Those will cost about $75 each, and he will need a minimum of 6. But the throttle needs only a basic servo, so that is about $20. The rest, two for ailerons, two for elevator, one for rudder.. comes to 5 good, digital servos.

Engine. Depending on the aircraft, and it sounds like you are working on the Ultimate 120,. well, several engines will work here. I have three planes, not 3D, but very capable, that use the OS 1.20 AX engine, about $275. Another choice would be a Saito 115 Golden Knight is one of the best on the market and will definitely do what he wants to do with this aircraft.

If, of course, you want to get him a radio system, by gosh, there are a lot on the market to choose from. I have my specific favorites, but would not try to convince anyone that my choices are the best because they are for me, but perhaps not for him. That is why I said that, if he is really into this, he already has a very capable radio and would only need a receiver. But, if you want to hear my choices, I would definitely steer you towards the newer techonlogy of radio systems, 2.4 GigHertz Spread Spectrum radio systems.

WOW, what a mouthful. Well, it's rather simple. That cordless phone system you may use at home is most likey operating on that radio frequency. It allows for inteference free operation and is very user friendly to most modelers.

My favorite is the Spektrum DX7. Plain and simple. But.. that is, by no means, the only one on the market. Futaba, Airtronics, and JR all have very capable radios in that operating spectrum. As I said, you may want to pry.. investigate.. to see what he has and maybe either upgrade what he already has, or just get him a capable receiver for the system he already has.

I really hope this helps you. It is a bit long winded, but I tried to be thorough and tried to give you several "outs" or some definite direction with your choice.

Please, do tell us what you choose once you make the decision. I assure you, many of us are really interested in what you decide to do and his reaction to your choices.

CGr.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:20 PM
CGRetired

BTW, I just saw that you were from So. Boston. I was born in Pawtucket RI and raised in Seekonk, MA, down near Providence, Ri. Small world. My Neice is in her PhD progam at Harvard!! Smart kid!!

CGr.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:25 PM
opjose

With all due respect to CGRetired...

This plane does NOT need $75.00/ea digital servos all around.

Standard servos for the ailerons will work, but slightly higher torque servos work best on the ailerons. You can get in under $30.00 for each of these. A standard Digital servo has more than enough holding power for the ailerons...

The rudder could use a higher torque servo, as could the elevator as there is one pushrod moving both surfaces.

You could opt for a better ( and more expensive ) digital servo for the tail surfaces, as he mentioned.

The Saito 115 is a nice light engine, but it is a bit small for this plane. I put an OS 1.20 pumped in my first one, and not only did I have to move stuff forward, but I wished I had opted for a larger engine. That is why I put in a Magnum 1.80 four stroker on my second one of these planes.

A 2 stroke O.S. 1.20 AX could do it, ( this is a nice low weight engine ) but on an Ultimate a larger four stroker is more authentic and produces the needed torque to swing that larger prop.

As CGRetired mentioned, you may not have to deal with the radio if you go with a gift certificate for that.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:29 PM
2PUPS

good old paaaaaaaaaawtucket , been there many times yrs ago while putting high speed rail system in for railroad.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:56 PM
CGRetired

Ha.. my brother works for Amtrak in So. Boston as a dispacher. My mom, 92, just passed away, RIP, and lived in Seekonk. She lived a wonderful life and passed in diginty.

And, I gotta say... Go SOX!!!

Opjose.. my point was not to direct the 2PUPS to a $75.00 servo, but to show that there is a range of servos to choose from. I would think you, of all people, would realize that I was trying to point out that there was a range of selections to choose from. If my post was not clear on that point, well I wish to clarify that right now. The servo range is from the very basic, at about $10.00 to the very expensive. The one mentioned is an average cost for a digital servo that a person may choose.

If it were up to me, I would choose a good ball bearing high-torque servo at a cost of about $40.00 each.

And, if there is some confusion on that, I wish to say I am sorry for that. I hoped that my post was not trying to direct, but to clarify.

CGr.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:07 PM
2PUPS

whats your brothers name I might know him as I work for Amtrak as well.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:10 PM
CGRetired

Via PM.

CGr
Old 04-30-2009, 05:00 PM
2PUPS

This is what I have decided on so far , for the plane it will be the ultimate 120-55" BiPe sold by raidon Tech , for the engine it will have the Saito 180 Golden Knight , radio will be the spektrum DX7 . Now I,m looking for the servos to use with the plane .
Old 04-30-2009, 05:14 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Opjose.. my point was not to direct the 2PUPS to a $75.00 servo, but to show that there is a range of servos to choose from. I would think you, of all people, would realize that I was trying to point out that there was a range of selections to choose from. If my post was not clear on that point, well I wish to clarify that right now. The servo range is from the very basic, at about $10.00 to the very expensive. The one mentioned is an average cost for a digital servo that a person may choose.

If it were up to me, I would choose a good ball bearing high-torque servo at a cost of about $40.00 each.

And, if there is some confusion on that, I wish to say I am sorry for that. I hoped that my post was not trying to direct, but to clarify.

CGr.

Sorry, Mea culpa.

I read it wrong.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:32 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: 2PUPS

This is what I have decided on so far , for the plane it will be the ultimate 120-55" BiPe sold by raidon Tech , for the engine it will have the Saito 180 Golden Knight , radio will be the spektrum DX7 . Now I,m looking for the servos to use with the plane .
Here are some good servos:

For Ailerons and throttle.

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRPS821]Click me![/link]

Rudder and Elevator

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRPS8411SA]Click me![/link]

You'll also need a spinner, prop nut/adapter, fuel dot, battery pack, switch, and a couple of propellers

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRPB5006]Battery Pack, click me![/link]

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRPA004]Switch Click me![/link]

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN115]Fuel Dot - Click me![/link]

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=APC17080]Prop click me![/link]

[link=http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?p_id=tt3232b120:16&ppinc=spinners160&exact_match=on]Spinner click me![/link]

The prop nut adapter is also available via the Spinner Link.

This will be a nice setup, yet not overpriced.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:52 PM
CGRetired

Not a problem, Opjose. I think I put a bit to much in your reply.. you were just trying to be helpful. Sorry for being so blunt.

Meanwhile.. 2PUPS, the DX7 comes with four of the servos that Opjose recommended. You may need two more, but you can use the lesser torque for the throttle.

CGr.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:04 AM
airborne14830

Default RE: ultimat 120-55

I have the NP ultimate 120 55" mounting an XLS 120 two stroke. My plans are to do a side mount, but the insructions are short on where to begin measurements for installing the engine mounts blind nuts. Can anyone give assistance with this? I am guessing u fit the engine mount on the fire wall so the XLS 1.20 will fit inside the canopy. I all ready know i will have to cut out the bottom for the standard exhaust system.

Also, has anyone mounted there rudder servo and elevator servo in the back of the plane instead of insde the fuselage? I plan on using one elevator instead of two.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.