Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Do you remember your 1st Crash?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Do you remember your 1st Crash?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:51 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you remember your 1st Crash?

..Yep i remember, i was flying a nextstar and doing very well until i was coming in for a final approach the old one more flight..., at full speed i over shot the runway,ran out of fuel and tried to land,on landing the wings clipped a tree, shearing off the wings and shoot the fuselage through the woods like a missle...a total loss..i did however harvest the servos and engine and bought another trainer and didnt crash into that tree again lol
Old 06-11-2009, 08:17 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: Do you remember your 1st Crash?

Yep...my LT-40...crosswind landing.....dumb thumbs the rudder the wrong way.....added power to pull up over the fence...front half the plane made it, the horizontal stab didn't...fixed and flew alot more after that....by the way that was the plane my daughter had her first crash with as well...didn't survive that one
Old 06-11-2009, 08:43 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Skylark 56, about 6 months after solo.  

Heavy wind, but down the runway centerline.  I forgot that I was not in a trainer and that there was a good wind blowing.  Just after base, and right after turn to final, I cut the throttle to idle and that was all she wrote.  The plane took off in the opposite direction, upside down (did an Immelman all on it's own) and started to head in the opposite direction.

I had completely forgot that I had chopped the throttle to idle and tried to fly the stupid thing.  When I realized that I was still at idle, it was to late.  Basket case, totally destroyed.  I managed to save the engine and servos, but the RX and the rest of the plane were totaled.

CGr.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:56 AM
goirish

My memory is not that good.  When you have what seems like hundreds of crashes it is hard to remember the 1st one.  I had tried to learn on my own.    POOR CHOICE!!!![]
Old 06-11-2009, 09:03 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

heh i learned on my own and have crashed at least 4 times now i fly at a club field
Old 06-11-2009, 09:12 AM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Tiger II, 3 months after solo.
I went to the field alone, kind of a crappy day. There was a pretty strong but constant wind down the runway and it was cold.
I was practicing the sportsman pattern sequence and the engine I had wouldn't hold a tune well
(old used engine that was given to me).One of the maneuvers is a vertical line from straight and level flight directly
in front of the pilot. I established a baseline that was way to low (maybe 40 feet off the ground). I came in straight and level and pulled.
The engine sputtered half way up the line and lost power. I quickly pushed to level the plane but it had lost all momentum and started
to lose altitude. Like a moron I started to pull the elevator instead of pushing the nose down and gaining airspeed. SPLAT it
pancaked from 15 feet. repaired and it is still alive I gave it to a friend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69218.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1216312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97388.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	1216313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31528.jpg
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1216314  
Old 06-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Minnreefer

My first and worst crash, I was on the buddy box, about the third flight, I was doing pretty well, my instructor (if you can call him that) was not paying attention, I looked (stupid) around my shoulder to see where the wind was coming from, my plane was gettig low and around some trees, I tried to recover, but the plane was heading down, my instructor , decided to add full power and try to fly the plane, which was now at tree level and heading down, out, he was not able too, and totaly destroyed the plane.  After that, I was on buddy box a couple more times, then jsut decided to solo one day on my own.  I am still a little bitter about that, and wish the instructor offered to help in some way after the crash, or at least offer a true apology.

Jon
Old 06-11-2009, 12:29 PM
redfox435cat

yep, it was awsome, and funny as hell. I had about 10 gallons of fuel run through my tower trainer, As usual I'm running the model flat out in power loops and rolls. I just come over the top of a high speed loop and the hidges failed on the elevator. The plane went about 30 degrees down angle at full power into the ground. Hear that high pitch queal then silence. I was frozen for a second comeing to grips with what just happended, then fell on the ground laughing. Once I started laughing everyone started laughing. We went to find the model, it was springtime and the brush was thick. We found the plane with the engine buring about a foot into the mud. The plane was totaled, broke 2 servos. I got the motor home, that was the first time I attemped a full tear down of an engine. I got it apart, cleaned up and back together and runing no problem. I still have the engine today and still runs. os 40 fp.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:36 PM
carrellh

Yes, it was my brother's TT trainer with a GP42. We were passing the transmitter back and forth. I got the plane out of shape and it hit the ground before he could take over and try to recover. We picked up the debris and went directly to the LHS for a replacement. After that I joined the club, got a buddy box, and started working with an instructor.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:43 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

I was still on the buddy box and had the Goldberg Eagle up. I had the BESTinstructor but another student turned on his buddy box and shot me down. It went through two huge oak trees and into the woods. We looked for it until it was to dark. At times we thought we could hear the engine still running.
I went out at first light the next day and found it....sitting upright with a barely broken horizontal stab.
I fixed it and continued training that night! I pull the Xtal out of the slave box now
Old 06-11-2009, 01:44 PM
bigdanusa

1973 - falcon 56

Slammed it into a metal guard rail full bore by the road. Put all the pieces into 2 paper grocery sacks. I wanted the neighbors to think I just came from the grocery store and not the flying field when I got home and took it out of my car.

Used the same engine and radio and bought me another falcon 56 a week later.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:56 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

My little 25 size stick went rich on me and I put it in the tall grass but it didn't hurt it. My first real crash was when I stalled out my decathlon too low, almost recovered but stalled it again by pulling too much elevator. Knocked the nose off and had it back up in 3 weeks.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Les Nessman

Yes, there have been quite a few since then as well. I was flying a 40 size Chipmunk and doing some hot dogging out in my friends pasture. Well about 1/2 way through the flight I had a dead stick landing a little rough it but didn't SEEM to hurt anything. Fueled up and re-tuned the engine the best I knew how in those days and away it went. It wasn't long during the second flight, I was pulled straight up to start doing a loop and CRACK, the one piece wing was in two pieces and fluttering to the ground. The rest of the flight was pretty spectacular actually. The engine was still running and the plane was flying fairly horizontal so I thought well maybe I could land this thing. Kinda cool looking while it lasted, rocketing along untill it pitched down and planted itself. It broke the exhaust, a couple servos, ruptured the fuel tank, of course the plane was not repairable. No lives lost though, LOL. Dead stick landing probably had some thing to do with the failure. Went back to flying my Kadet after that, and making sure I do extensive checks after a rough landing.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:57 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

I'm with goirish...there have been too many to remember what ORDER they came in.

The funniest one is easy. An H9 Super Stick that I'd put 106 flights on. (Those days I logged all of them). I had gotten so cocky and arrogant with that thing, I was willing to try ANYTHING. Had been flying high speed inverted runs right down on the deck, and of course, some ***clown yells "LOWER! TOUCH THE STAB!". Ok, sure...I'm all that and a bag of chips. So i slow it WAYYYYYYY down on the next pass, looking for that n'th degree of control. Came within fractions of touching the stab to the ground, and, just as I'd been doing at HIGH speeds, pushed the nose 'down" and went to climb out.

Of course, at roughly 1.2 feet per day of airspeed, the ole LA .46 had JUST enough power to pull her about 10' of the ground....at which point, the little Stick settled into THE prettiest tailslide I've EVER pulled off, to this day....right into the ground, tail first, engine howling.

It should be noted that said ***clown HAD to comment : "That's not what I meant!!"

Old 06-11-2009, 03:18 PM
maerlma

i remember the first one that wasn't my fault. i was flying a .25 size fiberglass/balsa sheeted foam telemaster copy that one of the guys in my first club built with my dad about 3 months after i was soloed. i was about 1 1/2 mistakes high practicing flying the rectangular pattern when the dowel on the leading edge of the wing that secured it to the fuse broke. the two plastic screws on the TE just weren't enough to keep the fuse and wing together and the wing ripped off, fluttering to the ground while the rest of it lawn darted in. it happened so fast i didn't even think to pull the throttle back (not that it would've helped much). managed to repair it, and it's still in my hangar, mothballed. i want to get it back out and fly it again, i've got really fond memories of flying that plane with my dad.  
Old 06-11-2009, 05:02 PM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First airplane (Falcon 56) went through a bunch of crashes before the Grande Finali.

Flew into side of brick school house (about 10th flight) - broke engine mounting plate just like Goldberg said.

Spirl dive into a ball field when center tap of battery pack shorted out (1970 radio used center tapped airborne pack) - wiped out fuselage to the middle of the wing.

Landed in telephone wires - minor scrapes, an hour to get down.

Bounced off of roof of parents house, landing in driveway - just a prop

Bounced over a barb wire fence - first flight with ailerons

Folded wing when I forgot that I increased the elevator throw to try to do spins.  Ballistic flight of fuselage for 300 feet.  Too destroyed to repair, so the wreck was burned at about 70 flights.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:11 PM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: overbored77

Tiger II, 3 months after solo.
I went to the field alone, kind of a crappy day. There was a pretty strong but constant wind down the runway and it was cold.
I was practicing the sportsman pattern sequence and the engine I had wouldn't hold a tune well
(old used engine that was given to me).One of the maneuvers is a vertical line from straight and level flight directly
in front of the pilot. I established a baseline that was way to low (maybe 40 feet off the ground). I came in straight and level and pulled.
The engine sputtered half way up the line and lost power. I quickly pushed to level the plane but it had lost all momentum and started
to lose altitude. Like a moron I started to pull the elevator instead of pushing the nose down and gaining airspeed. SPLAT it
pancaked from 15 feet. repaired and it is still alive I gave it to a friend.
Yeah,Chris, but how much does it weight NOW!!!

CGr
Old 06-11-2009, 05:14 PM
The Bluehead

Of course, It was my first flight! I had flown with my brother many years ago and figured I could do it. Well, that wrong turning thing got me as I turned it back toward me and wham!!! It did several cartwheels before it stopped, shed the tail in the process. Rebulit it and many more wipeouts followed trying to learn by myself. It is still my favorite flier and it is teaching 3 more newbies this year! What made it so funny is that I set up a camcorder to videotape it. I got it all right.

Will
Old 06-11-2009, 05:36 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Dick,
It's legal for pattern. thats all I have to say

Now that I think about it, you augered it into the ground and thats how it became mine. Steve didn't want to fix it.
Difference was the radio was to balme for you crashing it. the radio I had in it was brand new.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:11 PM
andrew66

It was a kadet lt-25.  I had been solo for a couple months.  Was flying one afternoon, when the model was bouncing around and eventually lost all controll.  It went down in trees about 300yards away.  total loss.  Turns out my radio was to blame.  I still have it, and when its hooked up the servos will twitch and jitter with momentary controll.  I dont use it for flying anymore
Old 06-11-2009, 06:22 PM
chevypower1930

I remember mine! Hobbico Nexstar about 7 months after solo... strapped a camera on the top of the wing and It was pretty big I could tell it was flyin heavy and I just kept flying and coming down for final and it just kep going DOWN. just slammed into the ground haha had to order new fuselage it was deffianatly a total loss AND LOST THE DAMN VIDEO!
Old 06-11-2009, 06:24 PM
chevypower1930

WOW CRAZY. Me and Bhollo crashed the same nexstar I sold mine to him! hahah
Old 06-11-2009, 06:29 PM
MetallicaJunkie

My first crash was an ultra sport ARF back in the mid 90's (i was about 14-15), it had retracts and a tuned pipe.  It was my second airplane. I remember i was flying low and inverted and i pulled instead of pushed
Old 06-11-2009, 06:30 PM
tony0707

hi    boy do i -   i zigged when i should have zaged  was so  involved i left mt TX on the impound table and went home  -it was returned to the hobby shop the next day- good guys in this hobby -makes it how great it is and life can beusually have my planes repaired in a day or two of a problem in the old daycan fly a lot and not have any problems these days -KNOCK ON WOOD !!happy landings to all-TONY
Old 06-11-2009, 06:32 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Yup.....I had an OVERPRICED Hobbico Electristar. My impatience got the best of me. I went to the field one morning before work and decided to take off. Ihadent yet figured out how to land. Long story short- I over shot the runway on approach...then panicked when Istarted heading towards a bunch of trees....so Naturally I pulled up. However forgot to give it throttle and it stalled.....straight into ground. See pic. I figured If Ididt fix it ...could have used it as a sun dial!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40589.jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1216521  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.