Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Will I ever need more than 6 channels?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Will I ever need more than 6 channels?

Old 06-16-2009, 05:54 AM
Bonza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I ever need more than 6 channels?

Hi,

I'm new to the hobby. I picked up an electric Super Cub to get my feet wet and am now thinking of grabbing the hangar 9 Mustang PTS with a Dx6i Spektrum transmittor.

Will the Dx6i pretty much serve me throughout my RC Plane experience? Will I ever need more than 6 channels for anything? If so what would require more than 6?

Assuming that a 6 channel radio is all I will ever need, and that this RTF comes with simulator software, it seems like a smashing deal.

Appreciate the help!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:00 AM
mclina

Default RE: Will I ever need more than 6 channels?

I am up to about a dozen planes, and I have not needed more than 6 channels. It really depends on what you want to do, though. I think a six channel radio is a good place to start.

I have heard mixed reviews on the PTS Mustang as a trainer. I will let others give you advice on that.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:55 AM
fadi

Unless you want to go into very complexed models, that virtually require a servo for each moving surface, retracts, smoke, bomb launchers and so on, I don't believe that you would ever need more than 6 channels. And if you are into Helicopters, 6 channels is more than enough for most models.

In fact, people often choose higher channel count radios because they have flexible mixings and switch controls and much more professionals menus and options.

But I would say that the 6 channel will be enough fo the coming two or three years, you will understand by then what direction is the hobby taking for you, and your preferences, and so on...

If you didn't buy the DX6i, it is still worth trying to look for the DX7 instead, not because it is a 7channel radio, but mostly because it has better options and mixing capabilities. I've been flying for more than 3 years now, and I use a DX7 for a mix of helicopters and airplanes ranging from electric to nitro up to 60 size with no problems at all.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:59 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been flying for almost 50 years and I've never needed more than 6 channels. And I have flown everything but Jets.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

It isn't always the number of channels. The radios with more channelshave desirable features that facilitate setup that may cause you toconsider their purchase.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:30 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you're planning to stick with sport and simple scale models for the forseeable future, then 6 channels is good. If you want to move to big aerobats (33% scale and up) or complicated scale models the bigger radios are helpful with the extra mixes. Essentially, you need one channel per servo, and one channel per mix.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:55 AM
jetmech05

Will you ever need more than 6 channels......probably.....When I started in the hobby I couldn't see myself needing more than 6 even with retracts and flaps......the basic 4 plus retracts and flaps = 6......
When you start flying larger aircraft or bipes there will be times that you will use more than one channel for a single function....2 elevator servos in 2 channels, or upper and lower ailerons on a bipe in 2 channels.....If you ever fly a gasser there are channels that just simply get ate up.....I have a 50CC gas Pitts Python....1 channel, throttle, 1 channel, rudder, 2 channels, elevator, 2 channels, ailerons, 1 channel, choke servo, 1 channel for optic kill switch......that's 8....there are ways to reduce the number of channels used like I really don't need a choke servo,but I am not reaching through the prop arc to manually open the choke on a gasser that just turned over.....the less extra stuff you have on an aircraft the less stuff there is to break.
My opinion on the PTS Mustang is not a good one....I have taught students on both the Mustang and the Raptor.....my biggest gripe is the landing gear is weak on the Mustang...that is exactly what a student doesn't need.....You don't need the flaps either as you're going to be busy enough at first without flaps.....Plus it's not really a Mustang its a semi-scale (kinda looks like a Mustang). I find the airplane too sensitive in pitch for most beginners......I consider the PTS family the worse trainers on the market.
now since I've said that watch me get all the flak from PTS owners.....
Since I've been harsh on the PTS's I'll be nice now....I've taught on the PTS, all of my students solo'd. Therefore the aircraft performed their functions.....there are better flying trainers out there.
One more thing since you're new.....If you ask a thousand pilots in our hobby the same question...you'll get a thousand different answers....
Also since you're new...In my opinion...go to your local field watch some guys fly...pick out the ones you think are good.....then watch them in the pits, how they are with their fellow pilots....approach the one you like and ask questions lots and lots of questions...no better place to start to build your knowledge....
Good luck to ya....and welcome to this madness....LOL
Old 06-16-2009, 08:19 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My opinion on the PTS Mustang is not a good one....I have taught students on both the Mustang and the Raptor.....my biggest gripe is the landing gear is weak on the Mustang...that is exactly what a student doesn't need.....You don't need the flaps either as you're going to be busy enough at first without flaps.....Plus it's not really a Mustang its a semi-scale (kinda looks like a Mustang). I find the airplane too sensitive in pitch for most beginners......I consider the PTS family the worse trainers on the market.
now since I've said that watch me get all the flak from PTS owners.....
Since I've been harsh on the PTS's I'll be nice now....I've taught on the PTS, all of my students solo'd. Therefore the aircraft performed their functions.....there are better flying trainers out there.
Absolutely agree with the above.  Throw in Duraplane and you have the trifecta.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:19 AM
MinnFlyer

While I agree that you CAN use more than 6 channels, you rarely NEED to.

As jetmech05 said, you can use 2 channels on elevator, or on ailerons, or lots of things, but personally, I like to keep things simple.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

It's more about the programming options than the number of channels in many cases. I gave up on my 6 channel radio because I wanted the ability to independently control dual elevator servos. It is possible to control them with a Y harness but then you can't tune out any mechanical imperfections with your radio, which could lead to things like corkscrewing loops, etc.

7 channel radio will have more built-in mixes. My 6ch radio was missing an important mix (to me) which is another reason I gave up on it within 4 months of flying planes.

The 7 channel radio seems to be the most common, at least from what I have seen. Most people start with less then upgrade to a 7 channel. 7 channels seems to have enough capabilities for everything except advanced competitive flying and larger scale projects.

If you were to hold the Spektrum 6 channel and 7 channel radios, you would see and feel a difference. The 7 channel is a nice radio, the 6 channel is an upgraded beginner radio.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:28 AM
MinnFlyer

I have to disagree. Most people start out with a 4-channel radio and advance to a 6-channel radio.

You also have to realize that the people on RCU only represent a very small portion of the flying community, and at that, they are the more computer savvy.

I have one plane where I mixed my elevator os two channels because I needed two servos going in opposite directions - problem is, now the trim only works on one elevator. I scrapped that and got a reversed servo - problem solved and I only need one channel.

Some people like to play with computers - others, just like to fly. If you are starting out with a 6-channel radio, you are already ahead of the game.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:49 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started with a 4 channel and upgraded to 6 like Minn said.  I now have 5 planes on that radio up to an Ultimate 1.60.  The only plane I have that came close to needing 7 channels is a pattern ship that had in flight carb adjustment and I did away with that by changing the carb.

Start with the 6 channel and when you find yourself ready, then upgrade.  I suspect like me, you'll find a 6 channel with model memory will last you quite some time.

Just my thoughts.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I have to disagree. Most people start out with a 4-channel radio and advance to a 6-channel radio.

You also have to realize that the people on RCU only represent a very small portion of the flying community, and at that, they are the more computer savvy.

I have one plane where I mixed my elevator os two channels because I needed two servos going in opposite directions - problem is, now the trim only works on one elevator. I scrapped that and got a reversed servo - problem solved and I only need one channel.

Some people like to play with computers - others, just like to fly. If you are starting out with a 6-channel radio, you are already ahead of the game.
As long as we can agree to disagree

I'm seeing a lot of guys show up with these kits that include a 5 channel Spektrum, both at my club and the clubs of some of my flying friends. These radios are quickly becoming buddy boxes. The Spektrum 7 channel radio is all over the place around here. Ithink a lot of people might be upgrading 'without need' but they certainly are doing it. This is just my observation from what I've seen at my club, traveling to other clubs, visiting friends out of state at their clubs, and meeting people during practice sessions before pattern meets.

Like Isaid, I'm sure much of it is 'without need', but who 'needs' to have a scale plane, a warbird, or a 3D machine? If you want to get the bare minimum, start with a 4 channel, maybe upgrade to a 6 channel somewhere. If you like toys and technology, my guess is you won't be happy for long with a 6 channel radio.

Ibelieve there is quite a big difference between the Spektrum 6 channel and 7 channel radios - in features and 'feel'.

Iwas pretty upset with the fact that Ispent the extra money for a 6ch computer radio to start and ended up replacing it in my first season of flying. Now Ifind that my current 8ch radio has some limitations, however not enough to warrant a new radio (yet).

Old 06-16-2009, 10:21 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

A DX6i will serve you well, and fly about any plane you want it to.

If you get into Jets or nitro/gas Helis, you'll may need more, but then you'd be able to afford  to upgrade to the $600 JR X9303. 
Old 06-16-2009, 10:40 AM
hogflyer

The 6-channel will work fine for sport flying. A lot of pilots I know that branch out from sport flying keep their existing radios, purchase another more advanced radio, and end up flying both.

Radio's are like engines and planes - you can never have enough. I have 7 radio's and they are all being utilized, with a couple filled to capacity. All mine are 6 and 7 channel, 72 MHz and 2.4 GHz with the oldest I'm flying now over 15 years old.

Hogflyer
Old 06-16-2009, 10:58 AM
carrellh

Will "I" ever need more than six channels? No. All of the models I have had, or plan to have, use:
Ailerons 1 or 2 but all of them could easily be flown with 1
Elevator 1
Throttle 1
Rudder 1

Will "you" ever need more than six? There is no way for anyone on RCU to know for sure

Some replies mentioned mixing and other programming functions as reasons to buy higher channel counts since the 'features' list tends to grow with the number of channels (and the price). Again, you're the only one who can know the features that are important to you. I need very few features while others need quite a few.

Another post mentioned "feel" and that could be a very good reason to choose one transmitter over another. If you can go to a hobby shop that has a good selection, hold a bunch of transmitters as if you wer flying. If you plan to use a neck strap, or transmitter tray, take it with you and use it at the hobby shop. You might find that one model fits you better than another.

If you do go to a hobby shop to try out transmitters, please buy from them even if the price is higher than buying online. It would be a slap in their face to buy somewhere else after using their resources to make a decision.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:05 AM
TedMo

Isn't it interesting how many answers you can get on most any subject? Simply put don't buy less then 6 channels. Buy more if you can afford to.Also buy quality not junk. Which one? Perhaps choose what's being used in your locality. My choice? JR DX7.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Jetdesign

The Futaba 6EX can not mix out the pitch coupling in knife edge flight.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:36 PM
MinnFlyer

What's wrong with learning how to fly the plane instead of letting the computer do it???

Geeze, some guys would be lost without their buttons.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:19 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

What's wrong with learning how to fly the plane instead of letting the computer do it???

Geeze, some guys would be lost without their buttons.

Ah yes, learn to fly the plane, what a concept that seems lost today . I started buying 7 channel radios some years ago but still have never used more than 6 channels. Maybe someday.
As to the P-51 PTS being a good trainer, well opinions vary but my wife has one since way back , shortly after they first came out. I was surprised just how trainer like it flies. You should be able to transition to it without too much trouble. Now there are many people who don't like the plane and think it's not a trainer but it truly is if you understand what has been done to the plane. Heck my club has an instructor who thinks you Must start with a 3 channel high wing plane. He does not recommend a 4 channel plane as a trainer at all. But that's how he learned and that's where many people get hung up. They cannot accept new designs. If you want the P-51 PTS then you'll be fine.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Jetdesign

There's nothing wrong with learning to fly the plane. I always recommend learning to fly the plane before you use mixes.

It's like math - I think it's best to learn calculus before using the high powered math programs like Mathematica (some professors seem to disagree?) but once you know the basics, why keep plugging away with a pen and paper - uh, I guess I mean pages and pages of paper?

Why use a word processor when you have a pen and paper? Because it's nice, easy, and efficient, and lets you spend your time doing other things. Of course you have to learn to read and write first.

Why get a 6ch when you can fly most planes with a 4?

This is why I said a 7 channel is not necessarily needed, but if you like the comforts of technology you will probably get annoyed that you don't have that feature, whether you really 'need' it or not. There is a substantial jump between the 6 channel and 7 channel radios. It is the line between 'upper-lower' and 'lower-upper' class of radios.

If you're going to spend some extra dough and get a 6ch computer radio, you might as well get a 7. Just my opinion but to me it makes sense.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:52 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems to me after reading this thread that the meaning of "NEED" and want or use are being swapped.  Will you NEED more then 6 channels, not for the average sport plane.  That gives all controls plus flaps and retracts or retracts and lights. or flaps and smoke.  Will you be able to USE more then 6 channels.  Yes you can.  It does make setup easy to do with some mixing.

The one thing is how much do you want to and can you spend on a radio.  I fly glow and electric helicopters, park flyers to 1.20 biplane with my Airtronics RD6000.  It has done almost everything I ever wanted to do.  I have a lot of aircraft so I picked up a second one so I could fly (8) aircraft without changing radios or swapping Rx's.  I now fly the (2) RD6000 as well as (2) RDS8000's.  The cost of a new RDS8000 is close to that of a 6 channel radio.  it will give you lots of room to grow and try things out.

You can always use more of a radio.  It is very hard to use more if you do not have it.  If you do get a 7, 8, 9 or 10 channel radio, you will find a way to fill it.

Dru.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:55 PM
opjose

I guess I'll be a dissenting vote.

I would say you will QUICKLY need more than 6 or 7 channels.

As you move up in size, you'll find that it is better to use radio mixing to accomplish what you may need with multiple servos.

Many larger 3D planes beg for 8 channels or more.

By my third plane I wished I had a 10 channel system to keep up with the demands of my fourth ( a Giant U-Can-DO ).

On that plane I wanted each aileron to be controlled independantly, for differential control and to follow the elevator position for stunts.

I wanted the flaps to operate as flaps, spoilerons, or inboard ailerons ( also with differential ).

That's four channels on the wings alone.

Each elevator half required a servo, which my TX automatically deals with on a separate channel.
No hokey servo reverser involved! ( Though JR Matchboxes are pretty nice... ).

So six channels before getting to the rudder!

The seventh went to the rudder, and the eighth to the throttle.

If I had gone with a GAS engine like my other planes I would have needed at least 9 channels as I would also need a channel for choke.

Even 10 channels seems a bit restrictive now.

Someone always replies to this, trying to tell me that this is "unusual"...

eh, No it is not!

I have a lot of planes with similiar requirements now and many of my club members face the same problems.

IMHO it is better to start with the BEST radio you can afford with the maximum number of channels you can get.

That will make it attractive to a future buyer in case you ever sell it.

And in the interim you have the use of quality stuff with ample mixing capabilities and model memory.

It is hard for a newbie to swallow the expense of one of these however, and not heeding this advice I started with a five channel radio... purchased a couple of better five channel radios, moved up to seven channel, then eight, digital trims, etc. and now I'm up to 10.

Had I taken all of the money I've spent in TX's and put them into the first one, not only would I have saved a bundle, but I would have not felt the need to upgrade later.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:08 PM
DreamingTree1027
My Feedback: (5)

Well as for the radio, I would say you can get by with the 6 channels for a long time. It would be fine to start with. By the time you will need something else there will probably be something new you want anyways. More channels are good for Giant scale and scale warbirds. Other than those people get them for their mixing and other capabilities.

As for the P-51 PTS, since not many people are concerned about that, I started with it. I beleive that it is a great trainer. I flew a high wing trainer 3 or 4 times, at a club,and wanted something better, this planewill grow with you. The only thing to be worried about is a bit of rudder input on takeoff because it is a tail dragger. Other than thatit is great. It gives youa nice looking plane thatyou can be proud of andcan also learn and grow with.It is built really well and comes with the sim. Can't beat it!

Another tip for the Mustang. DONOTget in a hurry to remove the training gear and add flaps. That is why most people crash their mustangs.Pace yourself and you will be able to enjoy this model for a long time. A friend of mine hasabout 300 flights on his.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Connery

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: opjose

I guess I'll be a dissenting vote.

I would say you will QUICKLY need more than 6 or 7 channels.

As you move up in size, you'll find that it is better to use radio mixing to accomplish what you may need with multiple servos.

Many larger 3D planes beg for 8 channels or more.

By my third plane I wished I had a 10 channel system to keep up with the demands of my fourth ( a Giant U-Can-DO ).

On that plane I wanted each aileron to be controlled independantly, for differential control and to follow the elevator position for stunts.

I wanted the flaps to operate as flaps, spoilerons, or inboard ailerons ( also with differential ).

That's four channels on the wings alone.

Each elevator half required a servo, which my TX automatically deals with on a separate channel.
No hokey servo reverser involved! ( Though JR Matchboxes are pretty nice... ).

So six channels before getting to the rudder!

The seventh went to the rudder, and the eighth to the throttle.

If I had gone with a GAS engine like my other planes I would have needed at least 9 channels as I would also need a channel for choke.

Even 10 channels seems a bit restrictive now.

Someone always replies to this, trying to tell me that this is "unusual"...

eh, No it is not!

I have a lot of planes with similiar requirements now and many of my club members face the same problems.

IMHO it is better to start with the BEST radio you can afford with the maximum number of channels you can get.

That will make it attractive to a future buyer in case you ever sell it.

And in the interim you have the use of quality stuff with ample mixing capabilities and model memory.

It is hard for a newbie to swallow the expense of one of these however, and not heeding this advice I started with a five channel radio... purchased a couple of better five channel radios, moved up to seven channel, then eight, digital trims, etc. and now I'm up to 10.

Had I taken all of the money I've spent in TX's and put them into the first one, not only would I have saved a bundle, but I would have not felt the need to upgrade later.
I have to agree with this as well. If you do anything other than basic sport planes then you will quickly need more channels. Yes, you can get away with a 4 channel for a while, as I did, but I quickly moved up to a 6 channel to handle the flaps and retracts of my warbirds. Ialso find it much easier to put each aileron servo on it's own channel to that Ican do much more adjustment and control over using a Y-cable. I'm to the point now with planes using seperate elevator servos, as well as all the rest, plus choke and kill for gas engine that Ican't decide whether to go ahead with the RDS8000 or wait until the new SD10g is available. I've always flown Airtronics/Sanwa and probably always will. Just my preference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.