Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What is the suggested and maximum wind speed for beginners? Poll=Max

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
1-3 mil/h : 1-5 km/h
5.52%
4-7 mil/h : 6-12 km/h
33.79%
9-12 mil/h : 12-19 km/h
42.07%
13-18 mil/h : 20-29 km/h
15.86%
19-24 mil/h : 29-39 km/h
0.69%
25-31 mil/h : 39-50 km/h
2.07%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

What is the suggested and maximum wind speed for beginners? Poll=Max

Old 06-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Nippon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the suggested and maximum wind speed for beginners? Poll=Max

Hi everyone,

Just curious what everyone's opinion is on wind speeds for beginners?

For myself I have soloed once and crashed once after that so I am back to square one I feel. The wind here in Japan is quite frequent and pretty strong at times. I am just curious what everyone would suggest is a good wind speed for those who are learning. Also what a maximum wind speed is for people who are either learning from an instructor or have recently soloed.

I have added a wind speed chart so that everyone can have their say without having too look for a calculator to figure what the wind speed is in your area.

Cheers in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15891.jpg
Views:	2220
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1224996  
Old 06-26-2009, 08:41 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is the suggested and maximum wind speed for beginners? Poll=Max

My students recently flew in 12-15 MPH with gusts up to 18 or so. They handled fine, but they are still on the buddy box. I didn't have to take it back, only for landing.
jetmech05

Default RE: What is the suggested and maximum wind speed for beginners? Poll=Max

Please tell me you're flying with an instructor....he will let you know when it's too windy to fly......
Where in Japan are you? I've been to Atsugi, Iwakuni, Yakota, Okinawa, and Tokoyo....stationed Okinawa 75-76, and again 79-81
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Going by that chart, I would say 8-12 MPH
Old 06-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Nippon

I started flying in Tokyo now I am in Akita. There are no real instructors here. Whoever is at the field that day helps out. Everyone is very helpful we don't have buddy boxes or anything we just pass the TX. It was the same in Tokyo. Anyway the wind is strong today and I wanted to practice landing tomorrow tomorrows forecast calls for 14-24 km/h winds so it got me thinking what other beginners "safely" fly in.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:51 AM
noterman

It depends........... If the wind is steady and right down the runway even beginners can fly in quite a bit of wind. If it's a cross wind or real gusty it's much more difficult to deal with. Typically, less than 10 mph is a good limit. Anything lower really reduces how often you can fly.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:12 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: What is the suggested and maximum wind speed for beginners?

Wow.

Such a subjective question.

It really depends upon a great number of factors. IMO, probably the best way for a beginner to make that decision is to consider such things as :

1) Wind direction : Is the wind blowing right down the runway, or a slight cross wind, or a dead 90 degree crosswind?
2) Wind "type" : is this a variable wind that changes speed and direction, or a steady wind from a constant direction?
3) Pilot's understanding : Is the pilot able to distinguish, based on the airplane's behaviour, between airspeed and groundspeed?

The basic things to keep in mind here are this:

What will the wind force the student to do? A crosswind on landing will force the student to use a fair bit of rudder to accomplish a smooth landing. is the student ready for that? Does he/she understand the rudder, and its true function, well enough to make the sorts of precise inputs a crosswind might demand? Variable winds may require the student to alter his/her plans or approach quickly and decisively. is the student ready and able to do that? Gusting winds may require both of those things, AND more throttle management than steady winds. Again, is the student ready?

On the other hand, a steady wind right down the runway will require understanding of the difference between air and ground speed....of course, it also provides an EXCELLENT method of TEACHING that very difference.

So, really, there is, imo, no "general" answer. I've buddy boxed students in 20kt+ steady winds right down the runway, and I've refused to take students up in variable 5 kt winds gusting to 15kt. It simply depends on what the student is ready for, whether there's an instructor on hand, whether or not the situation presents a teachable moment, all sorts of factors.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Korps

I think gboulton said it pretty nicely. It's all about what you are ready for.

If you are at the field and the wind is blowing (taking into consideration that you know the direction of the wind) and you even slightly hesitate whether you should risk it or not - stay grounded. Or atleast that is what I do - if I hesitate for a while I rather leave it for the day or until the conditions are suitable. Especially when you are flying alone...since you have to check the wind just before landing to see how your approach should be. This will mean probably taking your eye off your plane for a second or two.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:33 AM
redfox435cat

what ever your comfortable with. You should never base what you can and should do based on everyone else.

I've flown gliders in 60 mph winds but there are day I won't show up to field its over 10 because I don't feel like it.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:48 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

If this is a student, there is no such thing as "comfortable". They have not yet learned how their aircraft behaves with differing wind conditions. GBoulton gave the best answer. Heck, I've been flying now for quite some time and know my limitations and simply will not fly when the wind exceeds a certain level, which differs based on the wind direction relative to the pilot's station and runway direction.

CGr
Old 06-26-2009, 12:09 PM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

Any cross wind much over ten mph and my Alpha 40 trainer wants to flip over while taxi-ing.
If I keep a good amount of up elevator, I can keep in on its wheels, but then it gets to be a handful for me to throttle up, steer with the rudder and apply up elevator.....all at the same time while, probably, having to apply some aileron input at take off!
Old 06-26-2009, 12:39 PM
jetmech05

up elevator on an Alpha 40? that will raise the nose gear up not allowing you nose wheel steering.....up elevator on takeoff might cause you to stall, depends on alot of things...the best move in crosswind taxi is to aileron into the wind...on landing rudder, be ready on ailerons in case the wind tries to flip ya
Old 06-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Popriv

I would choose not to fly with my high wing glow trainer when it was windy.
I had no problems flying my electric easyglider sail plane in windy conditions. I actually enjoy turning into the wind and the glider would just stand still.
Now I find with my low wing trainer the wind doesnt seem to bother me as much. Even with a 90 degree crosswind.

I've flown about 50 - 60 flights total.

Steve
Old 06-26-2009, 01:18 PM
WestCoastFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

I've checked and verified, when a wind gust just reaches the point of feeling like it smacks you in the face and you think, "There's some wind here," that's 20 MPH. I fly in 20 MPH gusts and enjoy it and virtually any 40 size and above can handle it just fine IMO. A wind sock can be straight out at less than 20.

For a person just learning I'd say around 10 - 12 max.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:52 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

for a complete noob, i like it dead calm or a slight breeze. once the person can keep the plane in the air i would say 15mph winds on buddybox
Old 06-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

None of my older students were very happy with wind over about 5 mph but I had a 12 year old that I never told him that wind was a problem and it didn't bother him much. I have had to land his planes a few times in high wind when he couldn't get them to touch down but he has never been afraid of it if there was someone there if he had problems.
It took me years to fly in winds over 10 mph but these days it doesn't bother me much, that said I will also say much depends on the plane too!!
Old 06-27-2009, 02:01 AM
sportrider_fz6

in my experiance wind can help but it can also hurt depending on the direction. when I lived in the desert it was always windy,I learned to fly in it. that may have helped me with the rudder but I found I had gotten used to it when I was landing and found myself coming in to hot the first few times I flew in a place with no wind where I didn't have an unlimited place to land. I find constant wind isn't really the problem, it's the gust that can get you if it comes at the wrong time.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:17 AM
ec121

I agree with the "know your limits" answers. Whatever fits in your comfort zone. Also converting the trainer to a taildragger will stop the crosswind taxiing tipovers. When I was on the trainer(about 12yrs ago), I was told that taildraggers were hard to handle on the ground. I got tired of fixing the nose gear and converted the plane to a taildragger. Experience proved to me that it isn't so. A trainer with too much throw on the nose gear is worse. And a tricycle trainer(due to the higher CG and narrower gear geometry) is harder to takeoff in a stiff crosswind. It will tip over and/or break downwind as soon as it leaves the ground. If you live in a high wind area, consider the conversion.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:51 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: CGRetired
Heck, I've been flying now for quite some time and know my limitations
You're either lying, or unique amongst ALL RC pilots.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:53 AM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

one thing that boost my comfort zone is engine choice, we have two sig LT 40's in the club, both with os 46's, one AX and one LA, there's big difference on how the planes handle wind, the one with the ax has no problems in 10+ mph winds, the LA on the other hand is a different story, just doesn't have the power for the winds
Old 06-27-2009, 12:21 PM
ec121

Confucius says "There is no substitute for horsepower." ;-)
Old 06-29-2009, 02:20 PM
rlipsett

up to max of 10 mph at the begining with a newbie but less is preferable. After he progresses to being able to do figure eights then I insist they fly in wind up to 20 since they have the basics, they learn more and when we have those windy days at the field they are the ones still flying while everyone else has packed up.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Warbird Joe

There will always be more days with wind than not. I was taught how to fly in up to 15 mph winds. I think a beginner can easily deal with 5 - 8 mph cross winds and after a getting the basics down of taking off and being able to use the rudder, you should have no trouble with winds up to about 12 mph. When you start getting crosswinds over 12 you really have to be on that rudder and sometimes ailerons to get your plane down the run way and up in the air without tipping it over as your wheels seperate from the runway.

It honestly depends on the persons ability to adapt to the quick changes of the winds.

Now if the wind is straight down the runway, the only difference is when to decide to cut the throttle back. If you shut it down like you would in a 5 mph or less wind and glide in your plane will be a dirt dart.

Joe
Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Nippon

Just an update to my original post. I went out to the field on the Saturday and sure enough there was a pretty steady wind blowing straight down the field. So much so that almost no one showed up at the field. I decided to pack up and just as I finished a few cars rolled in. I asked if they were flying that day the all said they sure are. So I turned around and got all set up again. The wind was pretty steady at 19 km/h (12 mil/h). I needed to practice landing and they were happy too help. I ended up soloing after the second flight then made an additional 10 slick landings and 2 not so nice where the prop caught the ground no damage just stopped the engine. Of course I still had wobbly knees during each landing. Everyone was happy with my landings and told me I can fly on my own anytime now. Monday I went out alone (Another person showed up after the second flight) I did touch an go's all morning.

The day I soloed the wind was pretty strong I felt, but it was almost straight down the runway everyone said that landings would be easier as the plane would want to float more. During one of my landings the wind changed and I had to land in a cross wind. It was a huge change and much much harder to land. I did manage too land but I am not comfortable enough to fly in that kind of situation again by choice. If it the wind changes during flight well you have to land it but if its a cross wind before take off I'll stay grounded.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 PM
nmking09
My Feedback: (61)

If you don't push yourself to learn (cross wind landings or anything else) you won't get any better. Keep practicing, and flying with purpose.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.