Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

JR XP8103...is it worth converting to 2.4

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

JR XP8103...is it worth converting to 2.4

Old 06-29-2009, 02:10 PM
mxaexm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR XP8103...is it worth converting to 2.4

For the past two years I have been flying with Futaba 6xas (good enough for my needs). Recently I got JR XP8103 (pre-owned but I don't believe it has ever been used) for free and now I'm thinking if its worth to convert that JR tx to 2.4 or should I just stay with my Futaba 6XAS and gett rid of the JR tx. Another option would be to sell both of the transmitters, add some cash and get DX7. I don't really mind flying 72mhz. but if I can switch to 2.4 relatively inexpensively that I might just go for it.

If I will decide to get a module, what kind of module should I get? (website, prices etc?)
Old 06-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: JR XP8103...is it worth converting to 2.4

You can get a 2.4g module with receiver from Horizon Hobby for $110.

The JR is a more capable radio in terms of programming options.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:49 PM
The Ghost

It is a great radio. Convert it over, but only use the JR [link=http://www.modelflight.com.au/spektrum/spektrum_airmod_jr.htm]Conversion[/link]. Look around at the major hobby suppliers over there and you should be able to get a great price. I had the same radio, but I went with the new JR DSX9 (9303) for several other reasons. Several members in the club use the conversion and have no problems with it.

Cheers
Old 06-30-2009, 01:44 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im using a converted JR10x, and love hat i can fly certain models on 2.4 and others on 72
Old 06-30-2009, 07:43 AM
mxaexm

Is JR XP8103 (converted to 2.4) better than DX7?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

It's a little bit of a tough call. The best way to find out is ask people that use them and find out what their limitations are. The DX7 is a great radio with a lot of features, and you can't have the 'model match' on an FM radio with a 2.4 module.

The 8103 might be a little better for competition. The problem is that they list the features on the websites but not the limitations.

If you don't plan on competing the DX7 is a great radio and model match is a great feature. Most guys in my club have that radio and love it, and won't end up replacing it.

If you're think you'll end up in competition flying the DX7 would get replaced.

I think that since you have FM receivers already AND the JR radio already, just get the module for it. It's an awesome radio and you won't have to buy a slew of new 2.4 receivers.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:37 AM
Ghia
My Feedback: (2)

JR and Spektrum is now the least recommended 2.4g solution. it is a DHSS system meaning it cant jump from its 2 chosen channels under interference. There have been problems while using spektrum at very large fly ins.

I know lots of poeple will say it works perfect for them, and all Im saying there is better tech out there. There must be a reason that EVERY other 2.4g solution is now FHSS or constant hopping. JR has a slow reboot time to reconnect to Rx in case of volt drop. I have heard as high as 3-5 secs

Futaba module system is good but its Rx are sensitive to heat and their prices are kinda high. I recommend XPS and Airtronics 2.4g