Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

High tension poles

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

High tension poles

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Osirisf16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High tension poles

Hey guys, does anyone know how much far away you must be from the high tension poles (electric cables) to be in the safe zone (no interference)?
Old 08-23-2009, 01:43 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: High tension poles

Funny you should ask.

Just the other day, one of our clubs most exalted members (nationally known etc etc) decided to test his newest 2.4 rig. The field has high tension lines parallel to the field. However, they're not even close to the flying area and a quite far back in our NoFlyZone.

So he's got the rig in a trainer that's "his grandson's" to test before risking one of his Big Buck IMAC hosses.

He flies the sucker out and over the lines and back. Then decides to fly along them. After stooging about what seems adequate enough time to prove there isn't any problem he turns the plane to come back, and flies it into the power lines. Seems he thought it was this side of the lines and it wasn't.

So how close can you fly to them? Purt' near, it seems.

I believe a number of radio experts have testified that interference from high tension lines is not a problem. So, does Cyprus' high tension lines work the same as US lines? And are they dedicated to just transmission of power? Those might be questions that mean more to you.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:12 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have successfully made planned crossings under high tension lines on a few different occassions in the course of planned cross country flights using 72mHz equipment with no undue problems.

However communication towers may be an entirely different matter. Also simply flying into the lines is a different matter that is not to be recomended.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as there is no arcing (bad connection, conductive debris, excessively damp weather like snow or ice across the lines etc.) there should be no problem with any of the RC frequencies near a power line. Any arcing and all frequencies including 2.4GHz can be interfered with.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Osirisf16

Here a photo with the high tension poles on the back:

Another one:

Old 08-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Osirisf16

Old 08-25-2009, 11:16 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Hi,
I fly with a couple of electronic engineers and have had conversations about this as well. We have some Medium tension lines at the North end of our field. Both 2.4 and conventional signals can be interfered with when the lines get between the plane and the radio. ( I asked the lines not to do this but....)
I am told 2.4 is a little more "line of site" than our old stand by. We have even seen cases of a person walking close by in front of a radio blocking signal. All power lines have a field that can interfere with signal in the right conditions. Common sense says stay away from them. Says me who once hung a trainer on our power lines[:-].
Old 08-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have flown at several fields with all kinds of electrical gadgets from micro wave to power poles without any problems. One club member showed me how he was getting a hit from a power pole with a transformer on it. Every time he went by it with his hands off his radio his plane took a big hit. He was the only one at the club that had the problem though?? Never did find the problem??
Old 08-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

I have flown at several fields with all kinds of electrical gadgets from micro wave to power poles without any problems. One club member showed me how he was getting a hit from a power pole with a transformer on it. Every time he went by it with his hands off his radio his plane took a big hit. He was the only one at the club that had the problem though?? Never did find the problem??
The transformer had a defect, there was some arcing occurring which could effect any and all frequencies including 2.4GHz.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's what we thought but didn't get into the whys of it. Just don't fly in front of the pole!!