Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Noob to R/C flying, is this right for me?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Noob to R/C flying, is this right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:57 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noob to R/C flying, is this right for me?

So I have very minor R/C Heli experience and 6 years exp operating and building R/C cars. Today I was randomly browsing craigslist, and found this:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/tag/1370938109.html

Seems like a pretty good deal if everything works, any other package I can get as a decent starter plane for >$200? I just like the idea that hes bought all those batts, then again I can just buy a large capacity one and be in the air the whole time. Words of wisdom for me?

My nitro cars have been tugging on my wallet with fuel prices of $30 a gallon, and I've always been very much into flight, so why not start now and upgrade to a nice model when I master a starter like this. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Tom.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:16 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Noob to R/C flying, is this right for me?

If it's all in good shape and the batteries haven't been used up then that's a good buy, assuming that's the plane you want. If you want to learn to fly .40 sized sport planes at an AMA field, that's not the way to start. If you want to have a park flyer to play around with and enjoy, then that's one of the better ones.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:50 PM
rcnitrohead

Thank you very much sir, yeah a small-mid size scale looking park flyer is exactly what I'd like to start out with, not getting crazy with planes right now as I'm a college freshman and cash is on the tight side. Assuming I do buy that package and the batts aren't to my liking, I know there are lots of LiPo options available for these planes, what size LiPo would you roughly recommend for such an aircraft to get proper run times? I appreciate it.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:55 PM
Sandmann_AU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you really want to know if you enjoy flying before investing big bucks in the hobby book a lesson with an instructor. They're pretty cheap and the instructors usually supply the plane and all the gear, and teach you on a "buddy box" system (two linked controllers in master/slave). If you have a ball, then look at either buying the park flyer or a bigger 40 size trainer. If you hate it, you've spent very little and had a day out.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Alex7403

rcnitrohead you must be familiar with Floyd Bennett field, if not we have a great RC field in brooklyn http://www.flyparcs.com/index.html
come on a weekend and speak with one of the instructors see what they recommend.
electrics however are not very successful trainers there.

Alex

Old 09-13-2009, 10:52 PM
rcnitrohead

Yeah I'm down by Bennet beating on my trucks all the time. I stay away from the field cause I don't like bothering the dudes with their $5k planes- so I wouldn't want to pester them. I have no doubt I'd enjoy flying, this is not a "testing the waters" type of thing- I have wanted to fly before I even got into R/C land vehicles, I was just a little young for that then.

The reason I don't want a large wingspan trainer is because of cost right now, I figure I can get a decent size park flyer now to have fun when I bash the crap out of my cars, and then fly around for a while. I don't want to get too serious cause I commute to school by car and and I'm saving for my own vehicle right now- I need to keep a tight budget. Thanks for the tips guys.

When I'm pushing 35 or whatnot with a house and stable income, it is my dream to own a turbine powered jet... So in a good few years haha .
Old 09-14-2009, 06:26 AM
Missileman

I have to wonder what shape it is in?
Quote: " It has been crashed but still flies"
For $130. You can get a brand new one for $160. Forget the extra batteries, you don't know what condition they are in.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:23 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I would second the advice to go and try it out at the local field. I am an instructor at our field and I do it because I like sharing the hobby and promoting it. Occasionally, club members will have beginner stuff for sale and the prices can get really good if they like you. The benefit for them is recruiting a new club member. If you went the real model route, you would have club and AMA fees and fuel costs, but in the long run it's probably a wash compared to using up batteries and crashing because you didn't get the training you needed.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:46 AM
rcnitrohead

True, but like I said I don't want to get tied up with AMA and whatnot as I barely have time as it is, and don't want to be throwing my wallet out to buy more nitro for flying a real trainer. Plus, as it is I have to deal with my car engines and I'm in the middle of a huge scale car project which is taking its toll, I just need some stress free performance right now.

Missileman, thats a good point, since the plane in new condition is that cheap- maybe I'll just get a new one. What kind of LiPo batt could I use in this aircraft for the longest run times? They use an 8.4V NimH, I'll look around for options.

Next time I'm down by Bennet, I'll hit up the field and see what the guys say. Lets hope they aren't the big ego types cause they have the balls to fly multi- thousand $$ planes [8D]
Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 AM
rcnitrohead

Can anyone give a rough estimate on how much flight time I'd get on an 11.1V LiPo as offered in a package like this? I'm guessing 20-30 minutes?

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/HBZ7300.html
Old 09-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Missileman

I wouldn't go more than 15 minutes tops.
2 reasons.
1. you don't want to over discharge lipo batteries. That can ruin the pack
2. anything longer and you start to lose concentration.
When I am flying after about 10 minutes I am ready to land and take a break.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:39 AM
rcnitrohead

Yeah, I know LiPos are really sensitive, at least compared to the old technology if mistreated. This pack is 11.1V 3S at 1300mah.

Even if you do suggest not to fly for extended periods of time, I'd like to have a high capacity pack so like the listing I linked about, I don't end up with 7 batteries..
Old 09-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Missileman

I have found that 3 packs and a good charger that can charge multiple batteries can keep me flying all day will reasonable breaks between flights.
I am willing to bet you can probably make room in that plane for 2100 mah 3s lipos is you modify it a bit.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:17 PM
rcnitrohead

The 2100mah batts you speak of are still 3 cells? Whats the size difference over stock? How much run time could I expect on a battery like that? I appreciate all the help, I know I probably sound like a broken record with you guys getting questions like this all the time. Thanks for your patience.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Allfat
My Feedback: (1)

The problem you will run into with loading up with big batteries is they are heavier. I would look up the weight of the stock battery and look up the weight of the lipo you are wanting to put in. Make sure that the lipo is less or equal weight to the stock battery and you will be fine.

A good place for cheap but good batteries is hobbycity.com. If you do order from them, always use the EMS shipping despite its slightly higher price. You will get your stuff in 3-4 days instead of 2-4 weeks. Totally worth it.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:50 PM
rcnitrohead

Well the LiPo is included in the newest version of the Super Cub kit. I was wondering about the battery Missileman suggested, I'll do some research on it.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:15 PM
blueapplepaste
My Feedback: (5)

I'd stick something like a 1200-1500 mAh 3S battery in there. That'll give you lots of flying time and won't weight the plane down. If you switch to Lipo, make sure you get a speed controller that can do lipo cells.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:18 PM
rcnitrohead

Thanks for the suggestion, also the newest version of the kit is LiPo ready and has a LiPo battery included with it. [8D]
Old 09-16-2009, 09:28 AM
blueapplepaste
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Thanks for the suggestion, also the newest version of the kit is LiPo ready and has a LiPo battery included with it. [8D]
Right, I thought you were talking about running lipos in the plane from the ad - that one is set up for NiMH. If you get the new one that is lipo ready, then you'll be all set!