Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Mode 1 vs. Mode 2

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Mode 1 vs. Mode 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:50 AM
wcv38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mode 1 vs. Mode 2

I have never flown Mode 1. As a full scale flight instructor, I can tell you that learning Mode 1 while learning to fly full scale during or after is going to make it a more difficult as well as a lot more expensive. If you are up to the challenge to learning both that is one thing, but it seems more logical to stick to one thing.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most mode 1 flyers will not respond to this type argument because flying skills speak louder than words.
Ralph White
Old 01-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am supprised that there has been very little mention of him trying to teach himself to fly. I knwo that it can be done, but why try? Is it worth it to teach yourself to fly to fly mode 1? it probably would be cheaper for you to fly to someplace, have someone who is skilled at teaching mode one, then to crash all of your own planes. I know that one can teach yourself to fly, but why if you don't have too. You could teach yourself to fly full scale also, but 99.9% of people find it is easier and cheaper to get an instructor.

Jon

P.S. I fly mode 2, because that is what I was taught, I don't think that it is going to matter to me, I will probably be a Sunday flyer for the rest of my life.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:01 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: wcv38

I have never flown Mode 1. As a full scale flight instructor, I can tell you that learning Mode 1 while learning to fly full scale during or after is going to make it a more difficult as well as a lot more expensive. If you are up to the challenge to learning both that is one thing, but it seems more logical to stick to one thing.
I also am a full scale flight instructor and I dont see any problem with learning both. The sensory inputs and reactions to those inputs while flying model airplanes are so compleately different than full scale that you could say the same about learning piano at the same time. The theories of flight are the same but that is about as far as they can be compared. If you have a good flight instructor He/She sould be able to help you correlate the two with each other. Contrary to what some may think the physics of flight are identical, so the rules will be the same.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:22 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

PIMMNIZ is one of the few that made sense - "there is absolutely no comparison between flying a 'real' airplane and R/C" The fact that you are facing the direction, boith pitch and roll in a full size airplane changes everything. Plus, there is the seat of the pants feeling that is not there in R/C. The fact that most "real" airplanes are controlled in a Mode Two control configuration has nothing to do with it - the two are completly different skills.
Hanno (Prettner) and Wolfgang (Matt) do in fact fly Mode One, and have not done bad for themselves in international aerobatic competition, an event requiring skill possibly second only to pylon racing. Possibly! As far as the present is concerned, there is Quique Somenzini, (Argentina) , a household name in aerobatic flight circles. Quique was the first to hover, and developed a lot of the 3D manuevers.
As far a the "lefties" are concerned, another point with no bearing. I took photos and made a yearbook for a local high school girl's softball for 15 years. I have seen hundreds of fly balls to the outfield, and no matter how loud the coach hollered "two hands", the girls always caught one-handed - their LEFT one. Now are you ready to admit that a teenage girl can do anything better than you can? Widely different skills, yes, but involving the left hand.
And if you fly the other mode simply so you can chase the bugs off your nose with your left, I have to remind you that you should not be flying a high performance airplane without a buddy standing by you. Not only should he be there to watch other traffic, but he can de-bug you when needed, and maybe scratch your - if you get an itch.
SALINAS HAWK - Remember the old latin phrase: NON ILLIGITIMUS CARBOURUNDUM. (Don't let the *******s grind you down!) Eloy
Old 01-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Jay Cappis

Just remember, you don't get to fly many of the other club members airplanes when they are all on Mode 2.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:53 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Funny

I just bought a 2 spektrum heli mode 1 and HVACMAN is converting them to acro mode 2.

I taught myself how to fly airplanes on mode 1, but was told that most radio products out here are on mode 2.

Steve
Old 01-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Mode One

ORIGINAL: Steve Landron
Mode one,

I just want to know where’s the yoke is on the Helo's (CH-46’s,) the F-18's parked on the flight deck above my head (CVN-76 USS Ronald Reagan) an Aircraft Carrier. For that matter; the RV-4's, RV-6's, Kit Foxes, numerous other kit planes and new aircraft on the market today. Again if you did not feel so strongly about MODE ONE verse MODE TWO why is MODE One your screen name? I personally don’t get it.

On a side note, this is just a Hobby forum, why all of the major debates? WHO CARES how you fly your planes and helos, just do it in a safe manner.

I truly wish some people would get over the incessant need to correct people putting themself on a pedestal. Go out and fly, get off this forum and do something (shovel snow?). I’m stuck on watch for a few more hours but after that I’m out of here and will be flying my helo.

Interesting.
Steve, I want to thank you for serving your country and you can thank all the folks on your ship for me, also! I am proud of you and I am proud to have served my country too, in the U.S. ARMY, from 1969 to 1972.

However, I feel your inability to hold a mature discussion with someone you disagree with is showing through! If you will read every one of my posts, you will see my only bone to chew on this subject is Mode Two people's constant reference to their mode being more like flying real airplanes. I have enough hours doing both to know there is no similarity except as I have said, that it improves your knowledge of the subject.

In general aviation (where you and I can actually experience being in the left seat) it is my opinion that the yoke is far more prevalent then the joy stick.

I spent the day with my Grand Daughter, however, I have every right to come here and stick up for what I feel is important, so how dare you tell me what I should do with my time!!!!

Your dang "Skippy", I'm proud to fly Mode One!
Old 01-17-2010, 04:49 AM
Salinas Hawk

Hello all
   I didnt realize what a can of worms I was opening.  Just the same, thank you everybody for the great expert advice. 

Also, I will try and find an instrutor after all.  But it seemed to me that with Real Fight and $99 ARFs it would not be that difficult or expensive to teach yourself.  That just show how much I know... very little.

Thanks again,
Salinas Hawk
Old 01-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Mode One

Salinas Hawk, I started with .60 sized powered airplanes, made the change to Mode One for the reasons I have stated previously. Then I moved to a place where the help available was limited and I had an interest change,to flying sailplanes. Sailplanes are very docile and easy to learn to fly. When I switched to sailplanes, I maybe could have switched back to Mode Two without much trouble. However, I had found that Mode One seemed natural to me and had the benefit when launching sailplanes with a high start, that I could hold in some up elevator with my left thumb while my right hand was busy launching the sailplane. So I stayed with Mode One. When I became interested in powered planes again, a couple year later, I had become friends with someone in town who had also been a member of the club I had been in and was proficient at Mode One and helped me through a few transition flights.

You've gotten some very good advice here. Sorry to say; but, yes this is a controversial subject. I am a proponent of choice! I fly Mode One and feel it has some benefits which R/Cers overlook. When people get involved in this hobby, most don't even know there are stick configuration choices! Mode Two so dominates the market now here in the U.S., that when they hear of; or, see a different mode, they tend to take offense to it! I've literally been asked:"Why on EARTH, would you fly that way?" So, quite honestly I've grown weary of the fight and explaining the story of why Mode One exists and why I fly that way! Still, I am proud of the fact this is how I fly!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:57 AM
psuguru

ORIGINAL: Mode One

Look, I'm not here to get into big arguments either. However, when I see illogical position statements asserting something being like; or, being better then, something else and used to influence decisions others are trying to make, I'm sorry, I'm going to disagree.

The reality is: Flying R/C is not like flying full scale, period! You don't use your thumbs; or, thumbs and forefingers to control full scale airplanes. Really the only thing that transfers between the two is the understanding of what, does what.

I have no problem with the vast majority of R/Cers in the US flying Mode Two and if the majority of them would simply stop with this assertion that flying their way is more like flying real airplanes, I'd likely have less to say when this topic about Mode One vs Mode Two, comes up. This is especially true, when you consider that very few full scale airplanes use the joy stick anymore!
You say you are not going to argue, then make contentious statements of fact and contradict others' opinions.
If that's not arguing, thenI don't know what is!
Iprefer to set up my models so that flying them IS like flying a full size aircraft and I set up the throws so that the controls are harmonised.
I had considerable light aircraft experience ( 1000h+) before seriously taking up the hobby once more and I was immediately struck by just HOW alike flying models and their larger counterparts are. Obviously there are differences, but it's the similarities that make it fun for me.
I'm afraid that this idea that somehow you are forbidden from using thumbs and fingers to control an aircraft is just silly. If you need your meaty paws wrapped round the control column all the time, then you need to learn how to trim better. If you'd everflown the delightful Chipmunk, you'd know that you can aerobat easily with just finger pressure.And it's only the products of Messr's Piper and Cessna that make one think that manufacturersfavour the control wheel. Most European and Experimental light aircraft all favour the column (or "joystick" to the crude of mind).
Old 01-17-2010, 02:20 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Well, I must say that this is the first time since I was assigned as moderator of the Beginners Forum that I had to lock down a thread. The reason I am locking this down is because it is beginning to get out of control. This is unusual in the Beginners Forum because most of the time, posters are considerate of the feelings of others. That seems to be going away in this thread, so...

This thread is now closed.

CGRetired.