Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

My Wife Dont Understand

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

My Wife Dont Understand

Old 01-21-2010, 10:36 PM
ES CONTROL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Wife Dont Understand

How can I get my wife to understand this wonderful hobby ? I do not get into sports, hunting , fishing,or golf. And this has worked very well for keeping me on the wagon . (P.S. I do lose my mind with airplanes.)
Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 PM
richg99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: My Wife Dont Understand

I have many hobbies..and have had many more over 49 years of marriage. My wife hasn't understood most of them. It isn't necessary, as long as she lets me enjoy them all. ...she does...... and is very supportive. Rich
Old 01-21-2010, 11:20 PM
dignlivn

Good Luck !

26 years of her not understanding any hobby.
(Guitars and Planes)

Bob
Old 01-22-2010, 12:20 AM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: richg99

I have many hobbies..and have had many more over 49 years of marriage. My wife hasn't understood most of them. It isn't necessary, as long as she lets me enjoy them all. ...she does...... and is very supportive. Rich
I'm right behind you at 45 years. My wife, like yours doen'st understand my hobbys either. Lately, she has taken up a couple of her own, and see seems more suportive of mine now. Of course, maybe she just wants me out of the house for a few hours so she can have some quite time.

By the way, your hobbies are not the only thing she doesn't understand. And I'm sure that the opposite is true also. That's marrage. Enjoy it.

Don
Old 01-22-2010, 12:28 AM
1320Fastback

Not nearly the experience as you guys by my wife of 3 years does understand my hobby as her father is also addicted. Truth be told though her hobby probably cost more.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:59 AM
mundo330
My Feedback: (3)

I have 20 years in my marriage and it is the greatest. Between Planes and helicopters, guns, motorcycles and music she has shown support and even interest to a certain extent. Now that my son is an accomplished pilot himself she is even more supportive. And as far as our shooting sports, she even joins in along with my daughter, a 17 year old 2nd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do and accomplished martial weapons expert that can drive tacks at 50 yard with her Savage Match 64. My wife shoots 1 1/2" groups at 25' with a Bersa model 86 380, not bad for a woman that never shot until she was 45. Just always remember to show her at least as much interest as your hobbies and never let her forget she is a woman (you know what I mean!) and your hobbies will never be an issue!
Old 01-22-2010, 01:22 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

How can I get my wife to understand this wonderful hobby ? I do not get into sports, hunting , fishing,or golf. And this has worked very well for keeping me on the wagon . (P.S. I do lose my mind with airplanes.)

HA HA! if you ever really find out, well please write a book. Lots of potential customers waiting. First wife hated it. Met 2nd wife-to-be on an RC field. Now she hates it too.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:40 AM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't spend some on her too, your not doin' it right!

My "dog house" is the r/c stuff. I guess I lucked out with one that would rather me be playin' with these things rather than "those" things!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:26 AM
Oberst
Banned

I've been married over 9 years and when I met my wife she knew I was a Pilot. Her Uncles were pilots during WWII for Germany, so her whole Father side of the family had a flying background.

When I told her I wanted to fly R/C she became interested, but was conscerened about the price of it all at first, but then she saw me handing her my whole paycheck for bills, and asking if I could save $40.00 a week for my next airplane and or supplies, she became a big supporter of my hobby. She goes to all the events and picnics and has a ball watching everyone fly.

I over heard one of her female friends ask her why she allows me to spend so much money on "Toys."[:@] And she answered back, " For one, they are not toys... and secondly he pays the bills first. His priorities are in order, besides, I could think of other non-productive ways he could be spending his time and money, so I don't have any complaints."

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I think the biggest complaint from some of the wives is the cost of it all. From a few I've talked too, one side hated this hobby because their husbands bought planes before paying his side of the bills. Priorities are important, and I do agree with the wives on that one.

The other side I've heard is they know how expensive this hobby is, how long it takes their hubbies to build or put together these planes, and hates to see hubbies fly for fear they would crash and waste it all.

I remember my wife didn't want me to fly the Hanger 9 Fokker last year. But when I maidened the bird and brought it home in one piece she was relieved.

More and more I've been seeing little girls becoming interested in R/C flying in the childrens clubs around here in Upstate NY. That's a great thing! I'd like to see more and more women in this hobby in the future.

One thing I notice is that all the wives like to get together at our Club meetings and Picnics. We pilots hang out seperate from the wives and talk airplanes and or fly. And the wives hang out together and talk about... well, what ever they like talking about seperate from us boys, life in general I guess.

Pete
Old 01-22-2010, 03:16 AM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: Oberst

More and more I've been seeing little girls becoming interested in R/C flying in the childrens clubs around here in Upstate NY. That's a great thing! I'd like to see more and more women in this hobby in the future.

Pete
Pete, my grand daughter just turned 11. Her Mom likes to dress her up in high heels and curly hair. She likes to go fishing and baits her own hook. Her birthday was last week and Mom and dad took her to Disney world. When she got home, there was a LT40 kit waiting for her. Best phone call I've had in years with the thank you's. My son told me that she would be "giddy" getting it. I sure wish I could have seen her face. 2500 miles does prevent a grandpa from seeing some smiles though

Don
Old 01-22-2010, 03:26 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 104 Likes on 100 Posts

When I met the first wife, she knew I was into R/C boats and planes. That was all find and dandy until it came down to her spending $75+ every time she wanted to go play bingo and me spending $15+ for suppllies. She's gone, and so are all the toys, ground up under her car tires. Now I'm going through the second time around with a new wife. Again, she knew about my boats and planes when we met. Fortunately, they have never been an issue. As long as she gets some attension, I take her out dancing occassionally and everything is paid, I can build to my heart's content. What is bad is when I start working on a boat or plane and she says she added another project to the "honey do" list. At least she asks occassionally " When will that one be finished?" or "Do I need to pick you up anything while I'm out?" It only takes me about a minute to give her an order of a burger, fries and a strawberry shake and a list of materials from the hobby shop. Funny thing is last time I did that, I got the hobby supplies and no food. Nothing some wet epoxy and a can of soda couldn't fix. Guess I got a good one this time
Old 01-22-2010, 06:56 AM
rwright142

@Campgems - I have a 6 yr old grand daughter who is in Germany now (son-in-law is stationed there so my daughter and grand daughter are there too) so I know what you mean. We use Skype to communicate with them at lest 3-4 times a week (we can see and hear them over the internet) so that helps when we miss them. Check it out - it's free skype.com. All you need is a webcam if you want to see them. The video, even on a wireless connection on a laptop is decent.

As for the wife - like others have said as long as the bills are paid first mine has no problem. I presented it to her like this: you collect purses and shoes, I collect airplanes. I could be going out to the bars and drink the money away. No problems.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:53 AM
CGRetired

Wife? What's that? My "ex" is now living in upstate NY somewhere. I can now make my own mistakes and no one can yell at me. One was enough.

CGr.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:53 AM
CGRetired

Wife? What's that? My "ex" is now living in upstate NY somewhere. I can now make my own mistakes and no one can yell at me. One was enough.

CGr.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:08 AM
speedy72vega

Here's another idea. If you belong to a club, or there's one close by, set her up an appointment with a club instructor and let her get a session in on the sticks. Most clubs have a club trainer plane, so you don't have to risk your own .
Once she has a bird up under her own control, she just might understand how amazing this whole 'flying' thing is.
It would probably be best to let an instructor take her up the first time, so there's no tension. Some women seem to get intimidated when their partner is the one trying to teach something new, but someone who she doesn't know might be a little more calming and allow her to enjoy the experience more.

Might work, who knows????
Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 AM
therealcrazy8

Maybe tell her you dont understand her knitting and cross stitching? No dont do that, that will just put you in the dog house. But everyone needs a hobby. My girlfriend (soon to be fiance) says I have to many and dont need more. I even told her that her and I should find one to do together that way its something both of you can do and have fun with. Not everyone can explain the understanding of all hobbies other then that there are a people who are attracted to a certain craft even though it may or may not be understood why. Maybe just simply put tell her it keeps you on the wagon and keeps your sanity and that you would also hate to lose your mind on her because she means so much to you....lol maybe that will get you points. Good luck. 
Old 01-22-2010, 09:43 AM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

I managed to get my wife to attempt the Super Cub once. I took it up a few mistakes high and handed her the controls. She immediately put it into a 90 degree nose dive (ACT was off). By the time I recovered it, it was about a 1/2 mistake high. I kinda giggled at her. She's never expressed any further interest in attempting another round. She doesn't give me grief other than the cost of certain things like a giant scale kit or an engine, more specifically "Why does every plane need it's own engine?"
Old 01-22-2010, 09:48 AM
goirish

I have been married 50 years. My wife has no desire to fly the airplanes, but, she is involved in the club activities and enjoys watching. We go to many shows, like the weak singnals in Toledo and the champinships at the AMA facility in Indiana and she enjoys seeing the craftsmanship and the skills that the pilots have.. We like the rest of you, do pay the bills first. Her hobby is reading. I can't sit still long enough to take up that hobby.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:48 AM
ceecrb1

After many girlfriends coming and going.. and now settled down into a dectent relationship and first baby boy only 6 weeks away...

The women will either understand it or not.. Just learn to work with what you have.
Mine doesnt understand it AT ALL.. However, she accepts that I do and its me doing it and it makes me happy.

It only generally comes up when I say I'm going to get a new plane, usually the reply is : "but you have a trainer, why do you want a "3d" plane? cant the trainer do that??" <no> "so why did you buy the trainer if it cant do that"...
Not her fault she doesnt understand.. but i'm trying to slowly get her into a little knowledge to understand the basic ideas and reasons for things.

Other than that.. I dont mind at all that she doesnt come to the club.. its "me time" and if she was there, she'd only get bored or in the way.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:14 AM
therealcrazy8

Yeah my girlfriend is very understanding of my hobbies and she also looks at it as "Well its stuff you do and involve the kids in so that's good." So even though some of my hobbies or hobbies I would like to do tend to be a bit expensive she sees it as being a good thing in the long term especially when their real dad doesnt do anything with them.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:19 AM
jester_s1

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I've found that giving veto power does wonders for getting the spouse to accept the hobby, whether it be hers or mine. If she wants something, she asks what I think and genuinely gives me the option to say "No." And sometimes I do. And it's the same with me. If I want something, I tell her I want it and ask if she had any plans for the fundage that would interfere. Sometimes she says "No," but overall I get plenty of stuff and a happy wife to boot. The only time there's really been a problem is when I've just bought stuff and she didn't feel like she had any control over our money (which does belong to us both). If the wife loves you, she wants you to have things and be happy. So give her the chance to give to you instead of just taking it.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:31 AM
therealcrazy8

Jester you sound like a man coming from a long and happy marriage. Im going to drop the question here to my lady in a few months. She is very much the same way. She wants to make me happy and at the same time I want to make her happy. I can see our marriage being much like you have described in that area Jester. A happy woman does make a happy home and in turn makes a happy man
Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 AM
paero-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Have this framed in my shop:

IT COSTS ABOUT THE SAME AMOUNT TO HAVE A MISTRESS AS IT DOES TO FLY BIG R/C AIRPLANES..............I WONDER WHICH ONE MY WIFE WOULD RATHER I HAD???

No problems here!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:14 AM
ceecrb1

ORIGINAL: paero-RCU

Have this framed in my shop:

IT COSTS ABOUT THE SAME AMOUNT TO HAVE A MISTRESS AS IT DOES TO FLY BIG R/C AIRPLANES..............I WONDER WHICH ONE MY WIFE WOULD RATHER I HAD???

No problems here!!!
But can the plane do what the mistress does? unfortunately not
Old 01-22-2010, 11:24 AM
CRockVet

My wife thinks im way to adicted to the hobby but as long as she gets back rubs in exchange for airplanes and spare parts,  its all good

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.