Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

O.S. VS. SAITO???

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

O.S. VS. SAITO???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: O.S. VS. SAITO???

ORIGINAL: oskartek

I think OS is a good value for the money spent.

Saito is overpriced, for a few bucks more you can have a YS and have superior performance to Saito or OS.

You nailed it right on the head for the YS performance, but you can normaally buy the YS Cheaper.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:19 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CKLLOYD

IF YOUR PLANE HAS MORE SLIME AND IS DRINKING MORE FUEL AND CANT SWING A PROP OF THE SAME SIZE CC FOR CC THEN YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND LEARN TO AJUST AND TUNE YOUR ENGINE RIGHT... WITH THE RIGHT FUEL AND NITRO MIX A SATIO WILL OUT PERFORM A OS OF THE SAME CC
The newer OS's do not use the same sort of crankcase vent as their older engines and most of the Saitos. The way they recirculate the oil almost eliminates the mess. That's a fact, not an opinion. I am qualified to say that because I own or have owned all of them. As far as tuning, I'm one of the guys who doesn't spend half the day screwing with his engine (I hope I am not setting mhyself up for amiserable day at the field next week by sayign that). I know very well how to set one up and tune it. I've been dealing with engines in one form or another since I was 10-11 years old, going on 40 now. In fact, I actually teach school on tuning engines for a living (not RC of course). I think I am qualified to say if one engine uses more fuel or spits more oil than another. That's not to say one is absolutely better than the other. That could be argued back and forth all day and nobody would win or lose. They all have positive characteristics that are factual and some drawbacks that are factual as well.

Saying one brand will outperform another brand all of the time just isn't based on facts. It is like saying a Ford will outrun a Dodge every time. If you mean a 2010 Mustang GT vs. a 1978 Dodge Aspen that would be correct. If you mean a Dodge Viper vs. a '79 Ford Granada then you'd be wrong. Manufacturers come out with new products; they progress and improve.

What I'd really like to know is how many of the people who swear by one particular engine have actually owned any of the others for any length of time?

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

If two engines are running the same fuel and are of the same displacement why would one have more oil discharge than the other?
Like I said above, the OS's route and recover the oil differently and that results in less oil discharge. If there is one thing that kind of frustrates me about the Saitos is that they really haven't made innovations like that lately. They've come out with bigger displacements and more power but otherwise they've been the same for quite a while. You could argue of course that there is no need to fix what isn't broken. Ultimately they all have their good points and their flaws. You have to buy what you like and what is best suited for the application. I've probably been a little too strong in promoting and praising the OS engines in this thread but it is all intended in fun. I really do like them though and I think people should give them a try instead of just assuming one is better than the other.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:40 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dunno what you are talking about.

My Saitos don't put out any more "goo" than my O.S.'s...

If anything it sounds like an overly rich condition on the Saito... something it WILL tolerate, where the O.S. cannot.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:43 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Just my opinion, I have a saito and a os. I love both but the problem I have sometimes with my saito is that it is tooo light for MYYY applications and I end up putting the electronics in different places and put dead weight on the plane. If you our out to make you plane lighter I would go with a saito. My OS i love. To me they are easier to tune. Saito tune ok but are a little bit harder to me, and like someone said they spit oil everywhere.

If I was in to buy a new engine and weight was the issue, I would buy a Saito, If weight was not a issue then I would get a OS everytime.

As far a YS someone talked about, I have never owned one but most people claim they have more power than any engine in the same class.

OH also most saitos I have heard which are many, have a hard knock. The OS's run a lot smoother almost without the knock.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:29 AM
psuguru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ken6PPC

I wouldn't hesitate to buy either brand, because they are both high quality engines!
I have OS, Saito, Enya, RCV and Laser 4 strokes.
I like the OS for their general useability, I like the Saito's for their looks, I like the Enyas for the power and I like the Laser for its quirky Britishness (and its quiet thrunge). I just fondle the RCV from time to time and then put it back into its oily little box.
But frankly, because of the exchange rates, they all give me pause when considering a new one.
My experience of the later OS's is that because of the oil recovery method and the size of the muffler, oil tends to be flung further away from the model than the Saito's manage. The Enyas just get oil everywhere because the inlet trumpet is too short and the needle design is old so the carbies are always "wet", even with a bit of fuel tube as a seal. The single Laser I have just exudes black oil from every crack and crevice. 'Major pain.
Just my limited experience

Old 02-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Bonified Wingnut

Go Magnum

Sorry in advance-BW
Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: rowdog_14

Just my opinion, I have a saito and a os. I love both but the problem I have sometimes with my saito is that it is tooo light for MYYY applications and I end up putting the electronics in different places and put dead weight on the plane. If you our out to make you plane lighter I would go with a saito. My OS i love. To me they are easier to tune. Saito tune ok but are a little bit harder to me, and like someone said they spit oil everywhere.

If I was in to buy a new engine and weight was the issue, I would buy a Saito, If weight was not a issue then I would get a OS everytime.

As far a YS someone talked about, I have never owned one but most people claim they have more power than any engine in the same class.

OH also most saitos I have heard which are many, have a hard knock. The OS's run a lot smoother almost without the knock.
YS's are in a class all by them self when it comes to Throttle responce, performance and overall power. A YS 1.10 equals a Saito 1.50 in the power department, and a YS .63 puts out as much power as a OS .91. Most of the time, the YS's are actually far cheaper than either a OS or a Saito. They run 8-9 lb's of Boost and half the best fuel system in the industry.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:34 PM
psuguru

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37
YS's are in a class all by them self when it comes to Throttle responce, performance and overall power. A YS 1.10 equals a Saito 1.50 in the power department, and a YS .63 puts out as much power as a OS .91. Most of the time, the YS's are actually far cheaper than either a OS or a Saito. They run 8-9 lb's of Boost and half the best fuel system in the industry.
So you like YS's then?

Old 02-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: psuguru

So you like YS's then?

Who wouldn't???????People that have never used them are told about how hard they are to tune?? Usually by other people that have never used them. That big brass screw for the regulator is almost never touched and the other two screws are just the high and low end like any other engine. Over time the diaphragm will need replacing. Wow, two bucks and two screws!! Scarry!!! That's an every couple of years job. I tune mine for summer flying then never touch a needle, when the weather starts going down for winter I know I will end up four clicks fat on the high end. Scarry and very hard to do. Wait a minute?? That's right, my Saitos and OS engines have to be fattened up at the same time too!!!Yep, them YS engines are a real bear to keep running. As the weather warms up again I will be leaning them all again for summer flying, hope that days comes real soon!!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:57 PM
victorzamora

You might want to give RCV engines a serious look. I like their SP-series more than I like their CD-series because of the incredible size prop they can spin and the RPM they turn. Plus, they look AWESOME in narrow scale cowls (ie: not visible).

But just between Saito and OS, I'm going to agree with a LOT of people's opinions. I feel like they're very similar in performance. You might want to buy the plane and decide whether the extra weight in the nose is a benefit.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

But they (YS) only run right on at least 30% nitro...

Old 02-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: Beavis

But they (YS) only run right on at least 30% nitro...

I have no idea where you heard that one. All that is required is 20/20, which is also marketed for Saito's and OS's now too.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: psuguru

So you like YS's then?

Who wouldn't.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:42 PM
CKLLOYD

OK I AM GETTING KIND OF OLD AND STUCK IN MY WAYS BUT DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR I THINK THE SATIO IS A BETTER CHOICE.. I HAVE OVER 1500 ENGINES IN MY COLLECTION AND HAVE BEEN INTO RC'S FOR OVER 40 YEARS NOW WITH THAT BEING SAID MY ENGINE OF CHOICE IS MY WEBRA 91 OVER HEAD CAM BELT DRIVE 4 STROKE MORE POWER THEN ANY OTHER ENGINE OF THE SAME SIZE. THE RCV THAT WAS TALK ABOUT IS A NEAT ENGINE AND LIKE VICTORZAMORA SAID IT WILL SWING A VERY LARGE PROP FOR IT SIZE BUT THAT IS BECAUSE IT HAS A 2 TO 1 GEARING IT ALSO HAS A COOLING PROBLEM. I HAVE ONE IN MY FAIRCHILD 22
IT IS A RCV 120 AND SWINGS A 18" PROP I WILL BE CHANGING OUT THAT ENGINE LATER THIS YEAR FOR THE 1\4 SCALE RANGER INLINE 6 THAT I AM BUILDING.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

I have no idea where you heard that one. All that is required is 20/20, which is also marketed for Saito's and OS's now too.

The fact that YS needs high nitro content is common knowledge and actually stated in their manuals, as well as widely acknowledged by YS staff (personal experience). It has to do with the fuel delivery / compression ratio set-up that is peculiar to these (certainly very nice) engines. Still, I and others find it a nuisance to have to have "special" fuel for YS that is not optimal for other engines in our hangar and vice-versa. As to the 20/20 being good enough, depending on the manufacturer and age of the fuel, this may indeed be the case. But not always. To prevent any surprises, at least 30% nitro is necessary. You can start a poll with the YS camp if you need to be convinced...
Old 02-10-2010, 05:20 PM
ChuckW

I actually have good luck with 15% in YS's. I see no need for 20% or 30% when it comes to general Sunday flying. That's not to say that the higher nitro won't help squeeze out every last bit of potential in the engine but for just sport flying I've always gotten them run and idle great on 15%. They'll still outperform just about any other similarly sized engine on 15% too. Now, my only experience is with the later model .63's, a couple .91's and a 1.10 so I can't speak about all of them.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:43 PM
jeffie8696

I may have to buy that 140 Dingo my buddy has. NIB.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: Beavis

The fact that YS needs high nitro content is common knowledge and actually stated in their manuals, as well as widely acknowledged by YS staff (personal experience). It has to do with the fuel delivery / compression ratio set-up that is peculiar to these (certainly very nice) engines. Still, I and others find it a nuisance to have to have ''special'' fuel for YS that is not optimal for other engines in our hangar and vice-versa. As to the 20/20 being good enough, depending on the manufacturer and age of the fuel, this may indeed be the case. But not always. To prevent any surprises, at least 30% nitro is necessary. You can start a poll with the YS camp if you need to be convinced...
I just went out to the shop and dug up some instructions from YS for the 1.20 NC-1.20AC and the 1.10 FZ. So much for internet facts, I see it a lot on the net and hear it in the club Peanut Gallery, you just gotta run big Nitro in a YS!!! Bunkas, the instructions state 15 to 20 percent Nitro with an oil content of 15 to 20 percent of either Synthetc or Castor or a blended oil content. I have tried everything from 5% to 30% fuels in mine. All of them worked just fine except the idle was very hard to get into tune on 5%. I did get a few hundred more RPM with the 30% but nothing that would cause me to change over from my Power Master 15%, the price for the extra bang just isn't there. I even run the PM 15% in the YS 1.40 Sport.
I have never figured out where these ideas come from unless someone goes to a pattern event and sees the top pilots using something like 30% fuel?? These people are squeezing every ounce of power out of there engines and need the very best idle they can obtain. Winning is there top aim and they will spend the extra money if they think it will help at all.
Misinformation is worse then no information!!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:35 PM
ChuckW

GrayBeard, I hear you. Sometimes I think a lot of us just accept something as fact because that's what we've been told and we hear so many others repeating it. We'd probably be shocked at how much we accept as true actually isn't. The notions are just so widely held that nobody ever bothers to put them to the test. I also think it is difficult for people to change their notions even when faced with evidence that they may not be true; probably some sort of emotional attachment, who knows. We're all guilty of it at one time or another, myself included. Even people who are considered experts on a subject can keep recycling something that is widely accepted as truth even though it may not be. It makes me wonder what else I have considered reality may actually be different.

I've had argue with me in person that YS engine "will not run" on anything less than "special YS-20/20" fuel then stand there, watch me fill up the YS-powered airplane with 15% Coolpower, start it up, idle out to the runway, bury the throttle, pull the elevator stick back and watch the airplane go vertical until you almost can't see it. Go figure.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:02 PM
quiltsfly

This is great..... The question I have is that I have heard that the OS has problems when inverted, it that true.

Thanks for all the great information

Happy flying.
Quiltsfly
Old 02-10-2010, 08:13 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: quiltsfly

This is great..... The question I have is that I have heard that the OS has problems when inverted, it that true.

Happy flying.
Quiltsfly
Simple answer. No. I've run many OSengines inverted and never had any problems at all.

Ken
Old 02-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Gray Beard

Chuck, when I moved here I bought one brand of fuel at the LHS, it was a 20/20, can't remember the brand though, it wasn't Power Master though. None of my engines ran well on it, the YS engines would hardly run at all? A friend was moving out of state and gave me several opened jugs of 10 and 15 percent Power master fuel, I just started mixing the Brand X with the PM and it worked just fine. Not sure what type of oil was in the blend but the engines didn't like it. I was flying with a fellow that was using FAI fuel, store bought!! I gave that a shot in one of my YS 1.10s and other then crap for an idle it ran very well. Castor snot all over the place but it ran OK! It just pays to test things and that FAI sounded like it would be fun to test. Nothing I would use but it did work. Internet FACTS I tend to take with a big splash of salt. There is too much hear say being posted from people that have never tried different engines or fuel, just heard or seen. YS is a myth all it's own.
Gene
Old 02-10-2010, 09:28 PM
ChuckW

Happy flying.
Quiltsfly
Unfortunately we hear all sorts of things but that doesn't make it true. My guess is one person had a little trouble with an inverted OS due to an improper setup or something or maybe they used the discontinued FL-70 which did have issues. After it gets passed around, a tall tale can be born. It's a myth just like flying saucers and bigfoot. (Although I am always on the lookout for sasquatch whenever I am in the hills) OS's, either 4-stroke or 2-stroke, work fine inverted. I have several.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

Happy flying.
Quiltsfly
Unfortunately we hear all sorts of things but that doesn't make it true. My guess is one person had a little trouble with an inverted OS due to an improper setup or something or maybe they used the discontinued FL-70 which did have issues. After it gets passed around, a tall tale can be born. It's a myth just like flying saucers and bigfoot. (Although I am always on the lookout for sasquatch whenever I am in the hills) OS's, either 4-stroke or 2-stroke, work fine inverted. I have several.
I had the OS .70FS, the old model with the vent in the back. I had it inverted without any on board glow driver. You should have heard the peanut gallery telling me all the problems that was going to cause. It just couldn't be done! I stuck it inverted in a big Cub without the cowl, spent a couple hours getting the low end adjusted, stuck the engine in my Tigermoth and never touched the engine again. Flew it for years at IMAA events and never had one dead stick!! When I moved here I sold the plane, another one of those regrets!!
Gene
Old 02-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Crash Campbell

Hi,

You won't be unhappy with YS, OS or Saito, they are all well engineered and when properly tuned and maintained will provide years of faithful service. Some of the clones from China are ok. "Ya pays ya money and yer takes ya pick"

Cheers,

Colin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.