Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Thanks, Horizon

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Thanks, Horizon

Old 06-18-2010, 09:32 AM
DenverJayhawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks, Horizon

I can't say enough about how well Horizon has treated me over the past year. I've had the following problems and resolutions:

1. trim switches broken on dx6i. Sent in TX and fixed/shipped back at no charge
2. broken roller switch on dx6i. Sent in TX and fixed/shipped back at no charge
3. Bad tail rotor motor on blade heli MSR. Sent new tail boom assembly at no charge
4. Bad servo in Mustang BL. Sent me a new servo at no charge
5. Bad prop adapter for Mustang BL. Sent me a new prop adapter at no charge
6. AR6200 RX servo port pins had corrosion. Sent me a brand new AR6200 at no charge

My dynamite glow igniter just broke and they said to send it to them and they'll handle it. I'll definitely stay with Horizon for all my general RC equipment, especially radio equipment.

Thanks, Horizon!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:00 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Thanks, Horizon

It's good to hear of a company standing behind their products. They definitely haven't made any money off of you this year, but maybe they'll have better luck next time, right?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:14 AM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

They have given me similar support. Great company no doubt
Old 06-18-2010, 11:20 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why Ialways tell people to deal with the good, well-known companies like Horizon, Hobbico/Great Planes, Sig and others for most stuff instead of the fly by night, ultra-cheap companies who can't even spell anything right on their web site. Service matters.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:40 AM
richg99

Horizon has done similar things for me, too.

Recently I bought some ESC's from Hong Kong. Great price...but..neither one worked ..out of the box. They said "send them back and we will EVALUATE them..send them via a track-able carrier". As we all know, a track-able shipment would cost almost as much as the two units, combined, cost in the first place. I guess I'll just buy throw-away junk from HK in the future, and buy my "necessaries" here. Rich
Old 06-18-2010, 12:01 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

rich,

Did you buy ESC thru ebay or directly from the retailer online? They never replaced anything what they said?

Mody
Old 06-18-2010, 02:21 PM
richg99

Directly from the dealer on line..(which I had done before)...but..my previous transactions did not have these poor results.

Given the costs of sending the items back..I never sent them in. A friend had exactly the same "results" with a bum lipo battery, except he had actually flown a plane with it.
Rich
Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

If you paid by CC, file a dispute with your CC. They will credit the charge if the dealer doesn't make it right. If they want it back, have em send you a shipping tag.

Horizon will do this.

Ditto on praise for Horizon. I had a motor go bad on me not once, not twice, not three times, but four. Each time they replaced the motor. On the forth failure they upgraded me to a bigger better motor at no charge!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 10:39 PM
gluemaster

Horizon provided me with outstanding customer service as well. My Hangar 9 Plug N Play 40 size Cub was missing the plug off of the y-harness for the ailerons so they sent me a new harness. On it's maiden flight I lost a wheel which I later found but they sent me a new set. The last time I needed customer service was when I couldn't for the life of me get the Evolution 46 NT on it to run right. I tried different fuels, glow plugs, carb adjustments until I was blue in the face but it still wouldn't run right. I called them, sent in the engine and they sent me a new Evolution 46 NX to replace it. No questions asked. Horizon's customer service is first rate. I haven't had to deal with others though.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:29 AM
shaggy48

Gotta add my two cents to why I like Horizon as well. A couple months ago I started a new project. Bought a plane that required a high servo torque. I was in the market for a new 2.4 radio anyway and I knew that if I went with the 6 volt receiver pack instead of the 4.8 that comes with the radio (DX7) I would get the torque that I needed, also we all know 6 volt is better for no brown outs too. So I bought the radio from a LHS but they did not have the 6 volt battery. So the guy in the store got on his computer and ordered the battery from Horizon for me. I paid for the battery right there also. A week later the battery comes in and I go get it. Turns out it's the wrong battery. The LHS guy tells me I'm just out of luck - they wouldn't send it back or exchange it or anything. I was on my own. So I called Horizon and explained the situation, and they said no problem just send it back and order the right one. I did so and my opinion of Horizon's customer service was cemented positively since then. I've since bought two engines and other parts from them and I've not been back to that LHS since. Too bad too because we only had two LHS in my area and one went out of the business and the one remaining is the one that I wont buy from anymore. Lots of other people have told me they don't like the service there either. Horizon is usually my first choice for online purchases unless they just don't have what I need. Horizon also just started customer service on Saturdays which is great for those of us who are not retired. Hope they keep up the good customer service.

Shaggy
Old 06-20-2010, 03:05 PM
richg99

Shaggy...why not send a copy of your message (above) to the owner of the hobby shop? If the owner is the guy who gave you the "no returns" policy....maybe he will understand why his business is poor and getting poorer.

If the clerk was just an employee, maybe the owner will straighten the clerk out so that the next guy doesn't get similar results. Rich
Old 06-20-2010, 07:09 PM
shaggy48

Richg99
There are times I might take such an approach but this isn't one of them. Stores establish their policies because they believe its better for them and their business. If I thought it would do any good I would have explained to the owner that, that was not the way to do business. But that would have been very arrogant of me and I wasn't about to argue with him so I said nothing. After all, who am I to tell them how to run their business? Just a customer. If they don't appreciate my business I will simply go someplace where they do.

This particular store is operated by a father and son team. No other employees. The son was the one who ordered the item and I guess knowing the "policy" he asked the Dad who said sorry you're out of luck. This store was also recently purchased so they are new management so to speak. I wish them well and hope they are able to turn the business around, but they're not off to a good start. I could have gone online myself and ordered the battery I needed. Didn't need them to do it but I was already there. Anyway this thread was about a place that seems to appreciate my business i.e. Horizon - And thats why I continue to do business with them. Great customer service. This is a hobby, not life and death and all the dollars people spend are excess funds that could be spent otherwise. Only a fool alienates his customers.

Shaggy
Old 06-20-2010, 08:58 PM
richg99

Shaggy...your call ... not mine... You were the customer. regards, Rich

Old 06-23-2010, 06:27 PM
yachty

Ive just had a warranty issue with a Saito engine.

I have nothing but praise for Horizon the company and its staff. They acted professionally and were courteous at all times. They went out of their way to be helpfull, Its great to see that old fasioned service has not died!
They are even posting a new engine to me free of charge - and im in Australia.

Steve
Old 06-24-2010, 11:33 PM
trmike

Thanks for posting the good info about Horizon.  It's good to know there are good online dealers out there after reading so many negative posts about other online dealers and their "customer service." 
Old 06-25-2010, 09:15 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Not all lhs are that way. Here if it's not right I take it back. The only thing i ask is that it is re-sellable and you haven't had it 3 months. Dennis
Old 06-25-2010, 10:36 AM
carrellh

If I had the experience Shaggy did, I "think" I would have told the LHS owner and son that they were permanently losing a customer by refusing to handle a simple exchange transaction. If I read post #10 correctly, the battery pack never left the store so there should be no question of whether it could be returned to Horizon by the LHS. I'm pretty sure all of the shops in my area would have been very embarrased about ordering the wrong item. I don't think they would "give" me anything for the inconvenience of making multiple trips but they would either give a refund or handle the exchange.

Back on topic...
I don't own very much "Horizon" stuff and I've never had to use their customer service dept. It is good to hear that they still care about customers.