Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Airplane long storage

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Airplane long storage

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:38 PM
fly boy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airplane long storage

I'm leaving for the Navy in Sept 15. What do I need to do to my nitro planes? Do the rx batts need be cycled every now and then? Will they go bad if they are not cycled. I have 4 yrs of active and then another 4 yrs of inactive reserve. I do plan on flying some foamies in differnt parts of the world while in the Navy. I hope to start flyin my nitro planes after I get done with the 4 yrs of active.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:56 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Airplane long storage

will they be un used for 4 years??

if that is the case...

honestly, I would get new batteries when you are ready to fly again.

Thank you for you service!
Old 08-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

remove the batteries so you don't get black rot. Flush the engines with alcohol then oil them with mystery oil or a good after run.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:51 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When you are home from the service periodically, I would check on them and feel of the engines.

I kept some control line engines for 40 years. I would feel of the engines every year or two and re-oil them.

The Monokote covered plane still looked as original but the other covering types, the covering didn't survive.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:55 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like gray beard said use marvel mystery oil or air tool oil....the batteries i wouldnt plan on using if i was going away for 4 years
Old 08-11-2010, 06:08 PM
fly boy2

thanks guys, So they dont just sit and go to waste. I thing I will give all my rx batts to my club members where they will hopefully be used. About the engines; can I use Automatic trans fluid?
Old 08-11-2010, 06:17 PM
w8ye

I've had batteries set around for more than four years.

When I started using them again, they still worked well as if they never sat around.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:51 PM
alltumbs

Prep your engines for storage as stated above, disconnect the RX "and" TX batteries, and when you come home on leave hook up / charge up, and work out your thumbs. And thank you for serving our country !!!!!

Jim
Old 08-11-2010, 08:08 PM
mclina

I can't add any advice, but thanks for what you are doing. We all really appreciate it.

If you need anything when you get back (like new batteries), just let us know.

Good luck and God bless.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I too have had batteries set for years and after a few cycles they were fine. just make sure they are disconnected and removed from your planes for storage. At the price of a pack these days that would be a nice thing letting them go to club members. If you do come home for leave, remember, you get a month a year, you may also want to keep them and when you come home give them a cycle or twolike thumbs says.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Lnewqban

Living as you are in the humid South, I would place each fuse and each wing into big plastic bags, and seal them.
I would do it during dry weather, so the wood remains dry and isolated from humidity changes during time.
That also will keep insects, etc. out.

Same for electronic parts, especially Tx and Rx.

We all appreciate your service.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:22 PM
fly boy2

thanks everyone; Its all moving so fast. I still remember when I had 9 months. Now I have lil over a month[X(]. What has to happen is I have to get the planes ready. I have to get my Tiger Oscar and the algae eater to their new homes. I still have to make a living and nonliving will.(thats gonna be weird since I'm only 19) Where did those 8 months go[&:]
Old 08-12-2010, 05:24 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember that you will have leave available occasionally, and it only takes a few minutes to put the batteries on a cycler, and you can fly the next day. This gives time for meeting with family and friends and flying. There are a lot of bases that have flying clubs also. Memphis used to have one. Good Luck!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:12 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Toss the batteries; enlist in the Marine Corps instead. [>:]
ATF will work great, also wrap the engines or nose of the plane in plastic wrap to keep dust off and out.

Rrragman
Old 08-13-2010, 03:14 PM
captjckirk

Flyboy2, having spent 4 years in the United States Navy during the Korean War I know you picked the right service. May God keep you in the palm of his hand and return you safely back home. captjckirk.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:18 PM
alfredbmor

Batteries is the hardest part to make them survive, NiCd maybe not, but I would be good to store them with some charge on them and place them in a cool dark place.
Nimh should be stored by the same method but fully charged. Lipos should be charged at its 80% ~ 90% and with the same characteristics.

Engines has been explained very accurate, in my personal experience, I fiil them (totally) with automatic transmission fluid and wrapped in plastic, trying to keep away any sign of moisture, using by a preference of mine a very old or unusable plug so the oil will not harm the element.

Good luck on your endeavor.

Alfred.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:13 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Who knows where battery technology will be in 4 years. You have the right idea. Give them to your flying pals, so at least they will be of some use to someone.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:49 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The advice to bag the planes is very good, especially in the South with the dirt dobbers. Humidity changes along with thermal cycling can lift your covering over time. I would unmount the engines and flood them with oil (ATF is fine) and store them in plastic baggies. They'll practically last forever like that. I think if it were me, I'd sell the radio gear and rebuy in 4 years. With the speed that the technology is developing now, your stuff won't be worth much at all when the time comes and you do run the risk of corrosion getting to it.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 PM
w8ye

I've let planes set for 10 years. Not a whole lot happened to them. A couple cat scratches and a lot of dust,

Cleaned them up, rebuilt the tank, loosened up the engine, cycled the batteries, patched the cat scratches, and went flying. flew like it always did.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:42 AM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

I would prep the engines as mentioned and remove them. Vice the just letting them sit for so long let them sit while you do your schooling. I remeber it took me a year to do the navy schools. Then when you get to your first three-four year duty station have some of the engines sent to you. Order a plane and find a local club. Many of the Navy bases have clubs very near or on some bases right on. I am attatched to MCAS kaneohe Bay HI and we have the best RC airplane club on this island it is right on base and uses actual aircraft facilties to fly from (an old unused taxiway). Almost everything (radios, engines, and the like can be shipped for reasonable prices using USPSflat rate boxes. The planes can not be shipped as easy but when you transfer from duty station to duty station they can be shipped with your house hold goods.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:28 AM
alltumbs

102, the times they are a changing. Flying on base ... I'd never make it to the main gate ...... Ever !!! Where do I sign ?????
Old 08-20-2010, 11:07 AM
fly boy2

thanks everyone; ya'll are the best( as always). I'm gonna fly my GP Cherokee and my OMP Edge at least a few more time before I start preping them.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:17 AM
w8ye

If they set a year or two, be prepared to rebuild the gas tanks with a new stopper rubber and new fuel lines
Old 08-21-2010, 02:19 AM
TimBle

your engines can be stored with any oil. I would use automotive engine oil like a SAE 5W 40. Engine oils have a high dose of anti corrosion additives. Even neat castor is great. Atf ia more a circulating oil so theres less anti corrosion additives in there.Batteries, if you will absolutely nor be using them then donate them. If you will be using them every few months, unplug and store in a dry, cool place like a plastic bag in a fridge.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:06 AM
w8ye

I met a guy at the flying field who had a Saito 30 for sale. He said he had it submerged in a gallon can of motor oil so there would be no rust.

I followed him to his house and sure enough, the Saito 30 was submerged in a covered can of clean motor oil.

I bought the engine

When I got home, I drained the motor oil from the engine and immediately noticed the bearings were rough

I disassembled the engine and there was the most rust I had ever seen in a model engine. The motor oil did nothing to prevent the damage from the acids. There were rust pockets on anything that would rust.

I was able to clean the engine and replace the bearings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.