RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Got my LT-40 completed (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/10028596-got-my-lt-40-completed.html)

shd3920 09-26-2010 03:29 PM

Got my LT-40 completed

1 Attachment(s)
Now just gotta get a spinner for it, the right size prop (any ideas? Magnum .46), get it balanced, have a professional check it out.
I may take the aileron servo out and lock the ailerons and learn on 3-channel first.

shd3920 09-26-2010 03:32 PM

RE: Got my LT-40 completed

1 Attachment(s)
Closeups

gene6029 09-26-2010 03:59 PM

Nice work! Before i would fly it on 3 channels only , I'd leave it like you have it, but reduce the throws on the ailerons if you must. Get into the habbit of useing them, you wont be flying many 3 channel planes as you progress. I started out on single channel radios, & progressed to two & 3 channel stuff back in the day. I would have loved to start out with 4 channels, just my 2 cents. Once again nice job ya did there. Best wishes on flying it.......Gene

red head 09-26-2010 04:28 PM

Nice job !! Please, DON'T lock the ailerons and try to fly it as a 3 channel. It is a super plane as a 4 channel and you won't be sorry keeping it that way. ENJOY !!! RED

Top_Gunn 09-26-2010 05:03 PM

I don't understand what it is you'd gain by using only three channels. The only possible advantage might be that at very slow speeds (just above stall) the LT-40 isn't very responsive to ailerons. But that's not a huge deal, and it's good to learn to use a little rudder in your slow-speed turns from the beginning.

goirish 09-26-2010 05:18 PM

That plane will not fly good using only rudder. At least mine would not. I did have ailerons on mine but I tried using only rudder and the thing was very mushy, it might not get you out of trouble if you needed to. Just my 2c

mike109 09-26-2010 06:20 PM

G'day I have Kadet Seniors which were designed as three channel planes (no aileron) and an LT 40.

I would not fly the LT-40 as a three channel plane.

It does not have the dihedral of the Kadet Senior which is what makes the Senior such a good three channel plane.

The LT flies fine as designed.

Prop for a two stroke 46? I would start with an 11 x 6 or if it floats too much on landing 11 x 5. They do tend to float which is what makes them good trainers. They can fly very very slowly if needed.

As it is a trainer, I would probably use a Master Airscrew K series prop (the older ones) as they are tougher and more likely to survive a prop strike. APC seem to be more fragile though they do work better but this is a trainer and absolute power is not really a consideration but longevity and reliability are.

Mine has an extremely elderly Saito 45 Mk II which has the high lift cam from a 56. It flies it really well. I think I am using an 11.5 x 5 Bolly prop. (When you get too many planes, it can be hard to remember!)

Augie11 09-26-2010 06:36 PM

A 10x7 or 11x6 prop should do the trick. I'd go with the 11x6 on an LT 40. You're not looking for speed.

Leave the ailerons active. She will fly much better with them. Once you're comfortable with her you can try flying her with just the rudder leaving the ailerons still connected. You will actually find that the LT will fly better using both ailerons and coordinated rudder in the turns.

Good luck with the maiden flite!

JohnBuckner 09-26-2010 06:52 PM

First some thoughts on how an airplane is controlled by just rudder/elevator as opposed to rudder/aileron/elevator.

To be able to turn the airplane successfully and control it there must be dihedral effect present it takes considerably more dihedral to controll with just rudder. An airplane with ailerons can be controlled without any dihedral.

Ever wonder why all airplanes intended for Rudder/elevator always have much more dihedral than those that also have aileron?

One perfect example is the kaydet which you have an interest. Look at the Senior Kaydet kit. It was intended for rudder/elevator and it has exactly twice the dihedral of the arf version which was intended for full house rudder/elevator/aileron.

When the fellows convert the kit version with ailerons and do not reduce dihedral it always results in extremly poor roll response.

It also is true If one were to fly the arf version with rudder/elevator only without increasing dihedral then roll control would be very poor it could even be non existant if the wings had been flattened as is so popular.

Your LT 40 was never intended and likely has insufficient dihedral for good roll control on rudder/elevator and certain to be difficult to fly as such as hinted at by the other responders.

You really need to reconsider this whole idea with the equipment you have or be certain to have much trouble and bunch more posting about it.

John

red head 09-27-2010 03:45 PM

After I read your post about locking the ailerons I had a chance to fly an LT 40 and I played around with just using the rudder. What a DOG, it doesn't like just rudder and elevator. Your choice but I think you are going to be SORRY if you TRY to go that route. Besides, you will want a full house set up later so why not learn on one ??? Very few people fly 3 channel any more and most instructors feel it's better to start with ailerons then if you want, try 3 channel. ENJOY !!! RED

JohnBuckner 09-27-2010 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Indeed adding or removing ailerons without the corresponding appropriate increase or decrease in dihedral is a bad idea and can even be a disasterous idea.

Hmmm how is this for really gumming up the logic? Here is one of my favorite traners:

John

DeferredDefect 09-27-2010 04:40 PM

Awesome plane!
In my mind, the Kadet series are the best trainers available!

CGRetired 09-27-2010 05:22 PM

What's that, John? An inverted flight trainer? :D

Kidding, of course.. nice looking plane!

A B-52 looks like that on the ground, too!! :D I was looking for wheels on the wing-tips.

CGr.

cutaway 09-27-2010 05:33 PM

Unless you want a hot-rod, go with a 4" or 5" pitch prop probably between 10 1/2" and 11" in diameter. Diameter the engine can turn without overheating, misbehaving, crappy idle/etc will be significantly affected by variables like blade width and general blade design.

ex. a 9x8 pylon racing prop loads an engine much less than a Rev-Up 9x8 "W" wide blade.

captjckirk 09-28-2010 11:12 AM

LT-40, a very versatile airplane, I have built 4 thru the years, and now have the ARF. A Magnum 46 is the perfect engine up front. When you graduate into more safistcated airplanes hold on to to your "40"and put a set of Planefun floats on it. The 46 engine will do fine with the floats. A real blast!!!!!!!

JohnBuckner 09-28-2010 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)

:D I was looking for wheels on the wing-tips.

OK ;):D