RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   How addicted are YOU? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/10118730-how-addicted-you.html)

Jetdesign 11-06-2010 11:39 AM

How addicted are YOU?

I found out there was a hobby store not far from where I work/live, so I went to check it out. They had a little [link=http://www.electrifly.com/parkflyers/gpma1132.html]foamy[/link] plane that looked pretty cool. I told myself I'd wait, think about it, etc. and have not been able to stop obsessing over this stupid $60 piece of foam since.

I bought it yesterday, but said I'd wait and hold off on the electronics - it's getting cold outside, no need to spend the $$$ right now, I'll wait 'til I've got the right system planned out, etc.

I just ordered all the electronics this morning.

I really would like to try to get ahead a little in life, but so often there seems to be a 'one time purchase' in RC that I can't seem to live (happily) without. Just bought a simulator, bigger TX battery, foamy and electrics...

It will never end. At least I worked a couple of hours OT last week which offsets the coast of the foam [&:]

Hopefully your stories will make me feel a little better about myself[&o]:eek::)
Or maybe they'll help me justify a $50 RX to save 10grams of weight [:@]

bigdanusa 11-06-2010 11:43 AM

RE: How addicted are YOU?

The more the prices go up, the less addicted I get!

It's getting totally ridiculous!

big dan

goirish 11-06-2010 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I found out there was a hobby store not far from where I work/live, so I went to check it out. They had a little [link=http://www.electrifly.com/parkflyers/gpma1132.html]foamy[/link] plane that looked pretty cool. I told myself I'd wait, think about it, etc. and have not been able to stop obsessing over this stupid $60 piece of foam since.

I bought it yesterday, but said I'd wait and hold off on the electronics - it's getting cold outside, no need to spend the $$$ right now, I'll wait 'til I've got the right system planned out, etc.

I just ordered all the electronics this morning.

I really would like to try to get ahead a little in life, but so often there seems to be a 'one time purchase' in RC that I can't seem to live (happily) without. Just bought a simulator, bigger TX battery, foamy and electrics...

It will never end. At least I worked a couple of hours OT last week which offsets the coast of the foam [&:]

Hopefully your stories will make me feel a little better about myself[&o]:eek::)
Or maybe they'll help me justify a $50 RX to save 10grams of weight [:@]
Hi, my name is JOE and it has been one hour since I bought any RC stuff. Welcome to the real world Joe.[8D][8D][8D]

noveldoc 11-06-2010 11:52 AM

Gentlemen, let's start the meeting.

My name is Tom. I am an RC-holic.

Tom

GaryHarris 11-06-2010 11:57 AM

Hello. My name is Gary, and I'm an RC addict. I'm trying to cut back though.

Rather than buying another plane after crashing my LT 25, I decided to rebuild it. While looking through all those old boxes for some 1/4" tristock, I realized I still have a Sig SSE yet to build after I finish my BUSA Eindecker 90 and Herr Cloud Ranger. I need a 4 stroke for that SSE. :)

GaryHarris 11-06-2010 12:16 PM

Anybody ever walk around with a piece of Monokote stuck to yer foot?

FLAPHappy 11-06-2010 12:27 PM

Ever walk around with your fingers glued together with CA?

Lnewqban 11-06-2010 02:03 PM

Joe,

The addiction to flying RC has no cure; however, we all can make an effort to modify our approach to the hobby.

Making money is more or less difficult, but buying is so easy that it can become compulsive.

Try changing your mind from buying made to building, improving and repairing your planes and polishing your flying skills.

Read any current RC magazine: each and all articles tells you to buy, buy ...........and buy.
Good thing that we don't see RC staff advertised on TV!!!

That situation belongs to the past.
Consumers had a high buying potential, little free time.
Massive production in Asian factories was cheap.
Demand matched offer.

The results:
1) Less modelers created model airplanes and less people learned about them.
2) More people were exposed to trying RC flying, and many became really proficient at playing with the Tx's sticks.

Unless while the economic crisis remains among us, less people will be able to afford the expenses of the past, and more people will have a little more time.
At least for a while, modelers that want to remain active, must use their money in things that they really need to keep going.
I believe the crisis is good regarding the returning to basic skills of building and repairing of old modelers.
By example, some of the newer modelers will learn about plans, construction, repair and bashing.

Will kits and construction articles will come back?
I don't believe so, but the almost abandoned arts of designing, scratch building and repairing will not die completely.

da Rock 11-06-2010 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield
It will never end.

Actually it will.
And thanks to model airplanes, it can end with a smile on your face. :D

G.Barber 11-06-2010 05:14 PM

Hello, my name is Geoff,and I have been addicted to RC planes for 18 years- though I pray that there is no end in sight, and my wife NEVER finds a cure...:D

Actually, I have been doing reviews for RCU for the past two years now, and this has taken me in a different direction. Now,my hobby IS reviewing RC planes, and I'm NOT complaining one bit!

tailskid 11-06-2010 06:43 PM

Hi, my name is Jerry and I've been addicted to airplanes for over 60 years......

radius1x1 11-06-2010 07:39 PM

Hi, I'm Radius and I'm also an addict. I binged again today. Those buggers at HH got me!

tailskid 11-06-2010 07:58 PM

Aren't we all supposed to say "Hi" and sit down? My legs are tired of standing.....

StevL 11-06-2010 09:01 PM

Okay here is my question, and yes I'm an addict.

My wife sometimes picks up a rc magazine will thumb through it for a minute or two then says; "the price of these planes are absurd". She has no idea she is looking at arf prices only :) Does your spouse know the difference? Do they know they real cost?

Steve

G.Barber 11-06-2010 09:11 PM

Mine does...[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Nitro-Tom 11-06-2010 09:16 PM

Hi my name is Tom and I am addicted to R/C Planes……AND Cars[X(]

I used to race cars, and then I gave it up due to lack of funds (20 years ago)

Then I found planes, which I always wanted to do….and set out to DO IT!

I have had just about 20 planes in the last 4-5 years…:D

My wife keeps a book, thick as a bible, with photo documentation of every plane……called “The History of Flight”

She likes to be able to “Reminisce” all the crashes……

I currently have 6 planes, 5 of which can fly…..largest is a 30% Yak with a DA50……

I love them ALL, Electric, Nitro, Gas……40 sized and up for me…

And to add salt directly into the wound [:@] I just picked up two Traxxas Slash 4X4 Ultimate R/C Short Course Trucks to race with my son…

That brings the total to Four R/C Cars including my Nitro ones

I just keep thinking my kids may have to work their way through college and you can’t take the money with you:)

Nitro-Tom 11-06-2010 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: StevL

Okay here is my question, and yes I'm an addict.

My wife sometimes picks up a rc magazine will thumb through it for a minute or two then says; ''the price of these planes are absurd''. She has no idea she is looking at arf prices only :) Does your spouse know the difference? Do they know they real cost?

Steve

Mine busted me on a project I had.....an original Great Planes Patriot.....

So I left the magazines laying around, the Ebay add for the Patriot. (ooopppss)

So she gave me the "okay" for the Plane....$100....I was on it......

Next week she says......so how much for those "Retracts"?......How much for the motor?

We added it up and came in right at $1000 for the setup -vs- the $100 she saw for this "Patriot".......

So now I am busted, I need to submit complete build sheets with bottom line to get approval :D

But it's all in good fun....I get 2 new planes this year for X-mas.....the new Micro Beast (Looks Awesome!) AND the new Habu 32E Composite EDF.......

I am PUMPED!

Warbird Joe 11-06-2010 09:22 PM

Hello my name is Joe and I am an RC Airplaine Addict. I can't stop thinking about it. No matter what I am involved with some how it turns right into thinking about building or flying. It probably doesn't help that I have Airplane magazines every where in the house and everytime I step out of the house into the garage I have airplanes totally cosuming my 3rd car garage. I am always trying to figure out what I need to buy next. Like now it is a winter flying glove from Hobby King an aluminum TX holder and of course which kit do I buy now for the winter? The TF Gold Kit or a Ziroli kit? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I need medicated. (Clears my throat) Sorry about that.

Joe

ChuckW 11-06-2010 10:04 PM

I've always known that I am really into this but lately I have really been seeing just how much. Just today the weather took a quick turn at the flying field. it got windy and drizzly so a few of us decided to pack it up. I could have taken advantage of the new-found free time to work on one of many projects around the house but not me. Nope, I proceeded to the hobby shop where I just "hung out" for I don't know how long. I realized that I am not quite 40 but I might be turning into one of "those" old guys already. Of course I couldn't spend all that time there talking to other flyers and not spend any money. The hobby shop isn't a non-profit after all. I eventually walked out with $250 or so of stuff just so I didn't look like a bum or something.

Goran619 11-06-2010 10:09 PM

My name is jordan and I'm a RC-aholic. I've only been in this hobby for a year now and all I can think about is buyiny my next plane and helicopter. I've even wanted to be late on my bills to pay for a new plane but i havent yet just for the fact that my wife would kill me. just need to save up $390 for my stuka kit, dang christmas i dont want to buy other people things I just want to buy myself a plane:(

out2pasture 11-06-2010 11:18 PM

Hello, My name is Mike and I am a RC-aholic. I drove an hour to the big LHS to see if they had the now discontinued GP Skybolt kit in stock. They had one. Bought it. Price no object. That evening, my brother “texts” me to say a skybolt kit is for sale on ebay. Two hours later I’m the proud owner of a second Skybolt kit. I may get to them in a couple of years. Now I have to hide them from the wife.

Jetdesign 11-06-2010 11:22 PM

Feeling better already [8D]

worldmodelsmach1 11-06-2010 11:51 PM

My name is Chris and I'm a proud RC-aholic going strong for the past four years. The garage just keeps filling with planes and the wall of death keeps getting filled with mangled fuselages (+1 for todays pylon racing mid air [mom sure wasn't happy])... All my mom says when she walks by is "When will it end..." I HOPE NEVER!

Bozarth 11-07-2010 12:06 AM

ORIGINAL: bigdanusa

The more the prices go up, the less addicted I get!

It's getting totally ridiculous!

big dan
I've experienced exactly the opposite. I bought my first 4 ch. tx set for $250 in 1979 - not one single feature! I bought lipos 4 years ago for double what I pay today. I've seen zero increase in most 2-stroke motors over the past 4 to 5 years. I bought indoor 3d foamies 3 years ago for $85. Now I can get the same thing for $45.

Kurt

kitfox man 11-07-2010 12:19 AM

After 20 years my sweet wifehttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gifwill now call tower hobbies and order my planes for me when my phone dont get out at work.