RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   I have a ASP 108 2 s that I can't get to shut down (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/10300422-i-have-asp-108-2-s-i-cant-get-shut-down.html)

goirish 01-30-2011 01:15 PM

I have a ASP 108 2 s that I can't get to shut down

My ASP 108 runs like a champ but I can't get it to idle slow enough to shut off. I have the barrel closed, at least I think it is closed all the way. I can't close it any farther but it still continues to idle. I have to pinch of the fuel like to shut off. Any suggestions as what to look for.

pmw 01-30-2011 01:34 PM

RE: I have a ASP 108 2 s that I can't get to shut down

Most likely an air leak at the base of the carb. Smear a little RTV or silicone on the throat of the carb and re-seat it in the crankcase. Allow the sealant to dry over night. If this is not the cause, look for air leaks around the barrel of the carb, the fuel inlet nipple, or the idle needle O-ring. Eventually you'll find the leak.

Crash Campbell 01-30-2011 03:31 PM

Hi,

Is the stop screw allowing the carby to fully close, check it first? Mine vibrates and stops it closing fully, I adjust it and it works fine for months and then vibrates in again, despite locktite etc. If the throttle stop osn't the problem it has to be an air leak as suggested.

Cheers,

Colin

goirish 01-30-2011 05:22 PM

I just loosened the stop screw and I will try it tomorrow. Thanks

TedMo 01-30-2011 07:39 PM

Likely air leak someplace. Possibly idle screw too lean.

JollyPopper 01-30-2011 08:47 PM

Could be a leak at the backplate.

Gray Beard 01-31-2011 10:53 AM

Gene, if you stick your finger over the carb and it keeps running it's an air leak. Usually it is the O-ring under the carb. I had one engine with a steel insert that was press fit into the case, the screw that held the carb down went into that insert. I used an ear cleanine bulb full of fuel, stuck a finger over the carb, connected the bulb to my fuel inlet on the carb and gave the bulb a squeeze. The bubbles and fuel showed me where the leak was. I cleaned the area good with acetone then heated the case and pressed in JB Weld with my finger. Cleaned off the excess and it cured my little problem.
Gene

goirish 01-31-2011 11:26 AM

Yes it did continue to run after I put my finger over the carb. I was trying to stop it but it kept running. I did put some sealant on the insert and will see if that cured the problem.

foodstick 01-31-2011 12:22 PM

I always thought nobody could get an ASP 108 to RUN! :D

All joking aside..hope you get it figured out, looks like some good suggestions above.

jimmyjames213 01-31-2011 12:31 PM

sometimes you can get enough air through your muffler to run your engine (or the seal on the muffler) its most likely the carb but it happens sometimes

Gray Beard 01-31-2011 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gene, I don't work on ASP engines so I'm not sure what is under the carb, I would think an O-ring. I don't know if they have the same systen of holding them down, something like this SK? Here is my leak tester. Just hook it up, open the carb WOT, finger over the carb and squish in some fuel under pressure. I look for bubbles or fuel flowing out. The engine is usually on the bench when I do it so I can turn it and rotate it so I can see everything. If you have a bad O-ring just replace it. Don't bother fooling around. In the end you will be better off.