RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   My Dad's 15 Minutes of Fame (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/10311796-my-dads-15-minutes-fame.html)

MinnFlyer 02-04-2011 08:47 AM

My Dad's 15 Minutes of Fame

1 Attachment(s)
Some of you may know that during WWII, my dad was Crew Chief of a P-51D named Ain't Misbehavin'. And, thank God, both my dad and Ain't Misbehavin's pilot, Jessy (Dick) Frey are still alive and kicking.

Now, here's an interesting story in as small of a nutshell as I can fit it:

A few years ago, two former Air Force pilots decided to buy a Mustang. They found one and gave it a major overhaul to get it airworthy, but they didn't care for the name that was on it, so they picked the name Ain't Misbehavin'. Not long afterward, Jessy Frey heard that a nearby gathering of Mustangs was going to feature a P-51 with that name, so he gathered up some pictures and introduced himself to the pilots.

Needless to say, these guys flipped! They had picked a name that had an actual combat record! So on their next major overhaul, they stripped her down and painted her to look just like the original!

Once the renovations were complete, they flew her up to Indianapolis where Jessy Frey lives. As fate woulf have it, that happened on the same weekend that I was driving my dad back home to Florida for the winter, so we made a stop in Indy.

A crew from Warbird Digest was on hand and published a spectacular article about the reunion of Pilot, Crew Chief and Airplane in the current issue.

So I just wanted to let you know that if you find a copy, grab it - it's a great story (and as a side note, I got a ride in it!)

Luchnia 02-04-2011 08:59 AM

RE: My Dad's 15 Minutes of Fame

Totally cool!

If we only knew the half of what our parents did in their time. They rarely will "tell all" because much of it they want to forget. My dad passed a number of years ago and while I was digging through some papers after his death I found a letter from the president to his small company where they had held a hill over in Korea for about three days during the Korean conflict without sleep until our forces could get there.

I stand in honor, awe, and amazement of those men and believe in maintaining the utmost of respect for them. In my heart I believe the pass generations of strong men did more for this country than most can ever imagine. When I look at those in leadership today, I don't get the same thoughts as I do when reading about the men of old.

Thanks for the great story [8D]

ChuckW 02-04-2011 09:07 AM

Very cool. We owe a great debt to the generation who fought that war.

exeter_acres 02-04-2011 09:09 AM

Very Cool! Please pass along my heart felt Thanks to Your Father and Mr. Frey for their service.

G.Barber 02-04-2011 09:13 AM

As a friend of Mike's (and his dad Pat) I can also say that Pat is a great person, and a helluva RC pilot. I hope to be flying RC when I get to be his age! I wish I could have seen Pat's face when he saw the P-51 as it looked during WWII.

Thanks to all those that sacrificed to help make this country so great!

RCKen 02-04-2011 09:21 AM

ORIGINAL: gabarber

,,,,,I can also say that Pat is a great person, and a helluva RC pilot......

Just don't give him a Decathlon to fly!!!!Right Mike????;)

Mike,
I'm still jealous that you got to fly in the Mustang!!!!!!!:D

Tell Pat that I'm proud of him!!! He's a great guy indeed!!!!!!

Ken

G.Barber 02-04-2011 09:24 AM

Ken- you're touching on a sore subject with the Decathlon... DON'T POKE THE ANGRY BEAR!!! :D

MinnFlyer 02-04-2011 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
GRRRRR! :D

But seriously, if you get a chance to snag this copy of Warbird Digest, do so. It's a great article.

here are some more pics I shot that day

PS, My dad turns 90 in March!

DavidAgar 02-04-2011 09:43 AM

Wow Mike that is a special time. Now as for you getting to go for a flight in it, I am beyond jealous..... Dave

RCKen 02-04-2011 09:45 AM

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

Wow Mike that is a special time. Now as for you getting to go for a flight in it, I am beyond jealous..... Dave

Dave,
Wanna get even with Mike for him going on that flight and we don't????

Ask him where the video from the flight is!!!!! ;)

Sorry Mike, couldn't resist as I'm jealous too!!!!

Ken

RCKen 02-04-2011 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: gabarber

Ken- you're touching on a sore subject with the Decathlon... DON'T POKE THE ANGRY BEAR!!! :D

Every chance Iget I'm poking the bear!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong. Mike's dad is a great guy and Ilove him to death. But still can't resist having a little fun with him!!!!!!:)

Trust me, it's all in fun and Idon't mean anything bad by it!!!!

Ken

MinnFlyer 02-04-2011 09:47 AM

Not only did we all get a ride, but these guys didn't just take off and tool around the sky. We did rolls, loops, high-G turns, etc! It was AWESOME!

RCKen 02-04-2011 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Not only did we all get a ride, but these guys didn't just take off and tool around the sky. We did rolls, loops, high-G turns, etc! It was AWESOME!

Video????;) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

MinnFlyer 02-04-2011 10:00 AM

I WILL have a video - just as soon as I can figure out how to DL it from my dad's antique video camera!

RCKen 02-04-2011 10:05 AM

I WILL have a video - just as soon as I can figure out how to DL it from my dad's antique video camera!
HAHAHA!!!!!!!!:D

Is that the camera that you have to send the film out to be developed in???;)

ChuckW 02-04-2011 11:54 AM

PS, My dad turns 90 in March!
Looks like he could still yank a few panels off the Mustang and get somoe work done on it.

Do you or your dad have an RC Mustang in that scheme?

Insanemoondoggie 02-04-2011 12:16 PM

Mike , that is just totally AWESOME!

MinnFlyer 02-04-2011 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

Do you or your dad have an RC Mustang in that scheme?

Oh yea, Dad has the TF Mustang in that scheme

52larry52 02-04-2011 07:56 PM

That's not "15 minutes of fame", it's "65+ years of fame" and well deserved indeed ! Great story, thanks for sharing it with us. They arn't called the "greatest generation" for nothing. Seems like back in the day everyone pitched in for the war effort. My father in law was a gunner on the USS Hancock aircraft carrier in the Pacific, my dad was on the C-46 test flight team at Curtis Wright, my next door neighbor's dad flew P-40's in Europe and on and on the list goes. All of you WWII vets are a national treasure, THANK YOU ALL !!!

Airplanes400 02-04-2011 08:03 PM

Hi Minn,

I just happened to be looking at this thread (the title caught my attention). I opened the pictures you posted, and couldn't believe that I recognized one of the guys in the picture ... Pat ... Hey, I know your dad!! He's a great guy, always smiling ... and always flying his P-51's. He talks about how he was a member of a flight crew that worked on them during the war. He really knows his stuff. I expect to see him at the flying field this week. I also fly P-51's ... the radio controlled kind.
Thanks.

TedMo 02-04-2011 08:29 PM

Since I'm a WW2 vet I thank all for your kind words .At times I feel like I'm just old fashioned and out of step with society. However, My wife and I took a trip to the WW2 musuem in New Orleans last year and found myself and other vets treated like celebrities, it was great. Also of interest was A story in paper last year of the carrier Oriskany which I was assigned to but was discharged before it went to sea. It was recently sunk as an artificial reef off coast of Florida. Ha I've outlived her. Still flying models though and have been since my discharge in 1946.

RCKen 02-04-2011 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: TedMo

Since I'm a WW2 vet I thank all for your kind words .At times I feel like I'm just old fashioned and out of step with society. However, My wife and I took a trip to the WW2 musuem in New Orleans last year and found myself and other vets treated like celebrities, it was great. Also of interest was A story in paper last year of the carrier Oriskany which I was assigned to but was discharged before it went to sea. It was recently sunk as an artificial reef off coast of Florida. Ha I've outlived her. Still flying models though and have been since my discharge in 1946.

TedMo,
One of the guys Ifly with was on the Oriskany during Vietnam!!!!

Ken

brockettman 02-04-2011 09:32 PM

WOW! A reunion of heroes... Thanks for sharing! Great pictures of the men and their machine.

a1pcfixer 02-04-2011 11:39 PM

Way cool story!

My dad served in WWII and in the Korean Conflict, in the Navy Air Cor doing support runs.
I've got a photo of him and the entire crew of a B-17 Flying Fortress as they posed in front of it.

He was the only one in the crew that didn't drink, and nobody said anything bad or joking about it.
Because as such, he saved their bacon from MP's many times.....way before 'designated driver' was cool.

For anyone wanting to take a ride in several restored WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam military aircraft,
look into the tour schedule of the Collings Foundation Wings of Freedom

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedule-wof.htm
(check out the $3200 price tag for 1 hour in their P-51 Mustang!)

A couple years ago, they were nearby for a week, so I went to go look.
Ended up taking a flight in their B-17G Flying Fortress.
Best $425/45 minute flight I've ever experienced!!!

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/tour_b-17g.htm

Dad's been gone awhile now, but if he'd been alive when I flew in that one, he'd have been up there with me.

hairy46 02-05-2011 12:09 AM

That for sure is a story I would love to read! Our Military people is and have always been my Hero's! They are the most unselfish people of the USA, fighting for our freedoms and not even asking for a thank you. But thank you all that has served, are serving and will serve, This country would be lost without you!