RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Wheels On Starting Stand (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/10596942-wheels-starting-stand.html)

MetallicaJunkie 06-28-2011 02:17 PM

Wheels On Starting Stand

1 Attachment(s)
how would i go about installing wheels on a starting stand? im pretty crafty, but would like some input/ideas i found this pic here on RCU

just drill a hole and put a bolt, washers and a nut? or am i missing something?

bingo field 06-28-2011 03:36 PM

RE: Wheels On Starting Stand

Looks like lawnmower wheels, so yes, your idea should work. Without them , they would be a little tough to move to mow around.

MetallicaJunkie 06-28-2011 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: bingo field

Looks like lawnmower wheels, so yes, your idea should work. Without them , they would be a little tough to move to mow around.

that's for sure

goirish 06-28-2011 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

how would i go about installing wheels on a starting stand? im pretty crafty, but would like some input/ideas i found this pic here on RCU

Nope you are not missing anything. I would put a little bigger wheel than the one shown.. We have 7 of them at our field and they all have I believe 8" wheels.

CGRetired 06-28-2011 04:10 PM

Geeeeezzz... You know, this is one of those "I wish I though of that" moments. I can't count the number of times I dragged the darned stands around at our field and thought "there must be a better way"... and of course, it was right there under my nose.

Ah well, you know, necessity is the mother of invention. I guess perhaps I'm an orphan or something... [X(] :D

CGr

goirish 06-28-2011 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Geeeeezzz... You know, this is one of those ''I wish I though of that'' moments. I can't count the number of times I dragged the darned stands around at our field and thought ''there must be a better way''... and of course, it was right there under my nose.

Ah well, you know, necessity is the mother of invention. I guess perhaps I'm an orphan or something... [X(] :D

CGr
CG, that is why you are fit as a fiddle. All that exercise lugging that thing around[8D]:):D;)

Lnewqban 06-28-2011 04:40 PM

Yes, you are,.........add one more nut.

Charlie P. 06-28-2011 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's what we have so they can be wheeled into the pavilion at night..

MetallicaJunkie 06-28-2011 05:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Lnewqban

Yes, you are,.........add one more nut.

where would i put it?

goirish 06-28-2011 05:29 PM

use it like a jam nut. That way when you roll it around, the nut doesn't come loose. Nothing worse than a loose nut :D:D:D:D

MetallicaJunkie 06-28-2011 05:30 PM

good idea.....i need to think of how i will tighten them without causing the wheels to lock up from over tightening

Lnewqban 06-28-2011 05:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See the schematic.

Both nuts press the wood, while the wheel has some axial play.

You can also use a sleeve between the bolt and the wheel if fit is too loose.

Best luck with the project.;)

MetallicaJunkie 06-28-2011 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Lnewqban

See the schematic.

Both nuts press the wood, while the wheel has some axial play.

You can also use a sleeve between the bolt and the wheel if fit is too loose.

Best luck with the project.;)

thanks a bunch!!

nice stands Charlie

Gray Beard 06-28-2011 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a heads up about stands. The photo is of a couple of the club members using one of our stands. We started out with the wooden type I think the instructions were in model Aviation? Then a club member started making them out of metal. At first we only had a couple so he added wheels so we could move them around, really heavy!! The back center section also is able to be extended for longer planes.
One thing we discovered about them, you put a big gasser on one it can flip even one of these over, the couple we had with wheels went over even quicker. Make sure the two vertical rails are tall enough for Bipes. We only had a couple of them I was able to use during my bipe days due to the rails and if I didn't get one with the extended center planes like my Tiger Moth were too long for them.
These stands are one of the things I really miss these days. They make an old guys life a lot easier and less painfull.;)

Instructor 06-29-2011 08:58 AM

We have at least ten of them at our field. Before you just insert a bolt, you need to add some type of spacer to the vertical leg just above the wheel, a little wider than the wheel you plan on using. This could be a small piece of 2X4. Take another piece of 2X4 and bolt it or screw it to the spacer. This piece needs to be long enough so the bolt you are using as an axel goes through it, the wheel and the vertical leg the wheel is attached to. This will keep the bolt or axel form elongating the hole in the vertical leg. This is the way we built ours. We have had them about 5 years now and the wheel is just a solid as the day we made them. Hopes this helps......

Larry

raptureboy 06-29-2011 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No need for wheels, we put squares of astro turf under the stands pinned down with landscape staples and now we don't have to mow around them and if you drop a screw or something you are more likely to find it.:D

Gooseman240 06-29-2011 12:04 PM

Wow, lot of great ideas. So for the astro turf, do you spray some kill all to get a nice brown area on the edge of the astro?