RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Newbs need to start off with trainers! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/10648351-newbs-need-start-off-trainers.html)

Donahue Racing 07-31-2011 04:32 PM

Newbs need to start off with trainers!

not here to bash my dad or nothing (or i am lol) i am in the process of moving home, and shipping my stuff home.
my dad bought me a high winger trainer when i was a little kid, not sure what kind it is but it was built in the 70's , it is a lot bigger than a hobbico nexstar.
anyway that plane has been hanging from a ceiling in a garage for the past 20 years..

in some stuff i sent i had sent out spare props ,spinners,landing gear parts,building material, radio gear stuff ect..
well my dad started feeling all motivated " well ive been thinking about putting that old cub in the air here soo, ive looked through all of your stuff and i have enough to get it running "

i told him its not a good idea to fly it, start out with a electric trainer first, flight sim .. it takes years of flying to master something that big..
his reply is " oh well the piper cub is a simple bush plane, its flight characteristics are simple, the rc plane is the same thing, real simple to fly.. when youre flying it , you either fly it or crash it, i know to pull up on the sticks if it goes down " ha ha famous last words.

i told him over the phone how to wire the servos so its not all backwards.. he puts his old new never ran ENYAmotor in it, threw on prop and decided it was time to fly.

he taxies down the drive way , didnt know how to use the rudder and clipped the wing on a truck.. of course he had an excuse on why that was not his fault.

next day he manages to get it off the ground , the plane did a series of dives and climbs before he smashed it in to the ground.. " well im not satisfied with the quality of this plane, it is nothing like the real cub , its fast and hard to control .." said that after he tried saying my BNIB6ch 2.4 ghz radio gear was malfunctioning.

basically he thought he knew everything , destroyed a plane, motor and radio gear. now hewantsme to order a pitts biplanegiant scale "well them are similar to crop dustin' planes,i know all aboutthem ."

will get some crash photos when ever i get home..

if youre new to flying , stick to learning before take on the big toys.

el_xero 07-31-2011 04:45 PM

RE: Newbs need to start off with trainers!

HAHAHAHA sorry im so sorry to hear that man.. but I can't help but laugh... this is too funny.
I mean no offence really. He sounds just like a guy in our club who doesnt like taking advice from anyone but one person and even then only follows that advice when that person is standing right next to him ( beacuse he can't get away with not following then )
sufficed to say he's suffered the same fate as your dad multiple times.... Personally I love flying trainers I've made my avistar to upside down simi-flat spins even if you can believe that!
I think new ppl think that they wont enjoy flying an ugly trainer as much as a dolled up intermediate model, they couldnt be more wrong. When i got into glow i already got my wings on a parkflyer horizon hobby F27 stryker, strangely enough thats where i learned to fly on my own, and when i was put on a glow trainer even though i pretty much knew what i was doing, had plenty sim time, I just shut my hole and listened to every thing the instructor said to me. Did what he said when he said, I'm much better for it!

I agree with you, id never let anyone go the way i did, im an exception not the rule. Fun story you posted there though I've read many similar on here for the short time i've been on rcu. thanks for sharing!

noveldoc 07-31-2011 05:41 PM

Some of this is the fault of the hobby companies. They make it look easy to teach yourself to fly with some small backyard flitter off the patio table.

Concerns me. That is a good way to kill an airplane. But having an RC plane fly around essentially uncontrolled is also dangerous.

Tom

thebest_102 07-31-2011 05:45 PM

It is funny but the way you describe the situation I do not think any frame would have faired any better. Nothing is as good as the combination of a tame frame and an instructor that you like. If he wouldn't listen to you trying to warn and give instruction then I fear he is going to crash many more planes in quick succession. Ifeel sorry for the planes too, what did they do to deserve that fate?

Donahue Racing 07-31-2011 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: thebest_102

It is funny but the way you describe the situation I do not think any frame would have faired any better. Nothing is as good as the combination of a tame frame and an instructor that you like. If he wouldn't listen to you trying to warn and give instruction then I fear he is going to crash many more planes in quick succession. Ifeel sorry for the planes too, what did they do to deserve that fate?

oh yeah it sucks . that plane was probably built in the late 70's. the ENYAmotor was pretty old as well.the last plane i flew was my nexstar with the os 46.. its been about a year i think, im nervous about flying the one im about to buy (which i think is my old one that i sold ) .. my dad he just feels all motivated and crashes it and doesnt relize the money lost. he paid $50 for the plane 20 years, the ENYAmotor was free, and the radio gear / servos of mine that he used he didnt pay for. so its realy no loss to him .

it actually kinda makes me made,he frusterates the crap out of me. he's one of them guys who think they know it all. he wants a pitts biplane.. he has a article cut out for a pitts biplane for sale in a old tower hobbie's catolog.. because he has that cut out ,he thinks he knows everything about pitts biplanes! its funny.

he feels that because he is 48 and can do lots of other things, he dont need no flight simulator for a radio control airplane, nor having his 22 year old son telling him he needs practice...

for the past 2 days ive been "loling"over the conversations on the phone .. he talks about how he is going to clear out a room in the house for a hobby room (but yet he's too lazy to clear out a room for his 2 sons coming back home after 18 years LMFAO) he talks about how he is gonna bench run the motor , and how his work table will be organized, and how he will have pre flight checks, and radio testings and how professional the build of the plane will be ... Doesnt talk about how the plane will be too fast and how his reaction time will be too slow and lack of experience will come in to play and how $800 will splat rite in to the ground.. if not the ground a tree. or the house.. or a truck.. ha ha .. its funny , talking about professionalism.. here i am talking about the possibilities of him crashing the plane in to a house or trees,,, The whole property is surrounded by huge corn fields, i dont know why he's gotta try to fly so close to objects. at least theres no other innocent bystanders!!

this will be funny... im sure to have crash photos. after he splats a few planes in to the grounds he will then relize he needs to use a flight sim.

Campgems 07-31-2011 07:37 PM

<span style="color: #008080">" well Ive been thinking about putting that old cub in the air here soo, ive looked through all of your stuff and i have enough to get it running "

<span style="color: #000000">When I got back into the hobby after a few decades away, and still not having flown a RC plane, I scratch built my first plane, a 60" 3D job. A guy at the field did the maiden for me and then told me to take it home and hang it in the garage and get a trainer to learn how to fly on.

I took his advise and decided the 60 size GP Cub was going to be my trainer. The first 10 pages of the manual must had stated 10 times.
</span><font color="#000000">"THISISNOTATRAINER"So, I bought my first ARF "trainer", a now obsolete Lanier Explorer 40. The big Cub still awaits the glue.
I've only seen one guy at the field that could do a decent take off and landing with a Cub. A young Cal Poly Aero student. Guys that have flow them, from the little electrics up to a big gasser, have had a lot of trouble keeping going down the runway straight, more on take off, but the landings were not that nice either.

Don</font>

</span>

scooterinvegas 07-31-2011 11:28 PM

There is a thread here in this forum about a noob wanting to start out with a 150cc gas trainer, "because he can afford it" :eek:

markhamregular 08-01-2011 02:14 AM

This is hysterical. I think we need a Funny Forum.
Everyone must have someone in his club like this original poster's Dad.
There are too many in mine to choose from. I am just afraid they might recognize me :-)
</p>

Top_Gunn 08-01-2011 04:08 AM

Years ago, before people even flew ARFs much, there was a guy in my club who absolutely refused help. He'd build a plane, doing a decent job, take off, and crash before he got to the end of the runway. One day he crashed two planes in two flights. I don't think he ever got more than 10 feet high. He wasn't dangerous, because he'd crash so soon after takeoff that the wreckage was all on the runway. And he did this for years. Really nice guy, too, and not at all dumb except for this one quirk.

RCVFR 08-01-2011 04:29 AM

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

There is a thread here in this forum about a noob wanting to start out with a 150cc gas trainer, "because he can afford it" :eek:
The logical result of the credit card replacing the learning curve. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

hookedonrc 08-01-2011 04:36 AM

Some of my flights that I had the most fun on were with my Avistar. It is one of the best trainers out there and I couldn't think of learning any other way. Of course, I didn't have the money to just throw at new planes until I could fly. And, I had a long time flyer as an instructor... I know the flight characteristics are the same as a full size aircraft, but the controls certainly aren't. I don't remember ever looking in a cockpit and seeing two joysticks that controlled the bulk of the flying survaces...:D

jester_s1 08-01-2011 05:58 AM

Hard headed dads will never take advice from their kids. If he's spending his money, tell him he's going to crash the Pitts within 5 seconds of throttling up, then order it for him. Don't give him any help at all. Then, if you can, accompany him to the maiden flight with a video camera and tell him you are there to video his crash. Afterwards, he still will never admit you were right, but he'll think twice next time. The only thing better would be if you could fly the plane first to prove that it all works before letting him crash it. I'd just about try to sneak in and fly it (with a videographer present, of course) then after his crash show the film to him.

JohnBuckner 08-01-2011 06:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Donahue Racing

for the past 2 days ive been ''loling'' over the conversations on the phone .. he talks about how he is going to clear out a room in the house for a hobby room ( but yet he's too lazy to clear out a room for his 2 sons coming back home after 18 years LMFAO) s he will then relize he needs to use a flight sim.

You know the theme of this entire thread seems to be more about a failing father/son relationship with no representation from the dad and the son pushing all the right buttons, reality could be something quite different.

John

MajorTomski 08-01-2011 06:21 AM

If your dad has a decent computer buy him a simulator.

Then make him a bet.

IF he can sucessfully take off and land the pits or other high perfomance plane in the simulator,in FIVE tries or less, YOU will buy him what he's asking for. If he doesn't make it then he has to fly the RC trainer YOU choose for him.

I'd go with a slow stick myself.

MTC YMMV

Tom

markhamregular 08-01-2011 06:21 AM

You just can't prove anything to a hardhead.
There is no one more blind than somone who does not want to see.
My wife is the living proof.

</p>

JollyPopper 08-01-2011 08:55 AM

I feel for the OP, but it does sound like this is more about a father/son relationship than it is aout a crashed RC airplane. I think we need to hear the father's side of the story. I'll bet it would not even sound like the same story. Not quite fair to the father since he probably does not even know he is being thrown under the bus.

smithcreek 08-01-2011 10:03 AM

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper
I think we need to hear the father's side of the story.
Whyt? You're right, it wouldn't be fair to the father and I'd ask what the other side of the story is if I knew or gave a crap about either the OP or his dad, but since I don't, one side is more than enough.:D

markhamregular 08-01-2011 10:17 AM

This thread is getting funnier by the minute.

My point: Someone should start a Funny Forum. There will be lots of materials.

red head 08-01-2011 12:24 PM

Maybe the dad isn't the only hard head. I had a student once ( older guy ) that said you just teach me to fly, I'll learn to take off and land on my own. LOL ENJOY !!! RED

bingo field 08-01-2011 04:03 PM

ORIGINAL: harryangus

This thread is getting funnier by the minute.

My point: Someone should start a Funny Forum. There will be lots of materials.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_177/tt.htm

There you go! Started this one just for you'se guys...:D... It's got a lot of hits already!