RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Plane won't fly. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/10657526-plane-wont-fly.html)

Wiggles21 08-05-2011 06:35 PM

Plane won't fly.

I got my first airplane, a dynam ep 400 i believe. I have flew one of my friends, but it is away for a few months.

Everything is installed accouding to the directions, I take it out to fly and it rolls down the street, but won't go up. I tried about 20-30 times. I then tried hand launching, bad idea. Cracked the nose piece and broke propeller.

It refuses to go up.

any ideas to fix it?<br type="_moz" />

MajorTomski 08-05-2011 06:57 PM

RE: Plane won't fly.

If this is your airplane:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/foep4004chrc.html
it really isn't a beginners plane. If you do get it in the air it probably won't last long.

But...since you have one let's start with the basicx

When you pull the stick on the transmitter back towards yourself does the trailing edge ot the elevator move up?

Did you check the center of gravity (CG) before you attempted to fly it?

jester_s1 08-05-2011 06:59 PM

So it nosed down hard when you hand launched it? There is probably a problem with your elevator servo or the linkage. Check to see if you have the factory recommended amount of travel in both directions. Option 2 is that something in your wing or stabilizer is broken, and option 3 is you're severely nose heavy, probably due to using too big a battery pack.

Wiggles21 08-05-2011 07:36 PM

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

If this is your airplane:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/foep4004chrc.html
it really isn't a beginners plane. If you do get it in the air it probably won't last long.

But...since you have one let's start with the basicx

When you pull the stick on the transmitter back towards yourself does the trailing edge ot the elevator move up?

Did you check the center of gravity (CG) before you attempted to fly it?
I know, bad choice for a beginner plane, but If I screw up, oh well.

I wasn't paying attention... the elevator moves down when I pull on it.

How to I change it?

Also, do you have any tips for me to do to attempt not to completely destroy it?<br type="_moz" />

ameyam 08-06-2011 12:13 AM

1) Check the CG

2) Check whether you have the factory recommended throws and that your linkages are connected (i.e. your elevator moves properly and in the correct direction. If the servo moves in the opposite direction, go into your radio setup and look for a reversing option. Refer your manual for instructions on how to do this)

3) Check whether your battries have sufficient power and are holding the required voltage. This is best done with a battery cycler with battery discharging to check what mAh it is delivering

4) Do a range check and see whether the controls continue to move from a distance

5) If you are flying in your neighbourhood, dont. Take it to a designated flying field that is free from inteference

Dont think that there is much else that can go wrong. Once you are into the air, then you are on your own about whether you can control it

Ameyam

MinnFlyer 08-06-2011 02:10 AM

Click the link in my signature. It has lots of info for beginners

Rodney 08-06-2011 06:30 AM

You may think this is not possible but check to make sure your prop is mounted properly. If it is on backwards, the thrust is in the correct direction but the power will be greatly reduced. Usually, you want the printing on the prop face to be facing forward. Also make sure your batteries are fully charged in both the transmitter and plane.

Mr Cox 08-06-2011 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Wiggles21

How to I change it?

That's your problem then...

Most modern transmitters have an option to reverse the movement of the servo. If not, then move the pushrod to the other side of the servo.

Lnewqban 08-06-2011 08:43 AM

How to I change it?

Also, do you have any tips for me to do to attempt not to completely destroy it?<br type=''_moz'' />
See those rectangular switches on the low front of your radio transmitter?
Those are for reversing the action of the servos.
Move the one for elevator in th eopposite direction.

Tips:
1) Pay attention.
2) Read link of Post #6 above.
3) Ground the poor thing until you learn with a less demanding model (I suggest an electric glider).

dredhea 08-06-2011 09:28 AM

I recommend you get your friend to help out. Have him fly it first, since it sounds like he has some experience. Then see if he has the ability to "buddybox" you to teach you to fly it. Other than that, I think it's likely that fixing the elevator direction is only going to make it possible for the plane to crash from a higher altitiude. Please find an isolated location to teach yourself; there's no need to risk injuring others during the very brief time I expect this plane to survive.

DadsToysBG 08-06-2011 12:22 PM

This is another example of hype and a new person with no help or knowledge. Really a 3-d plane for $99. This kind of false advertising may be one of the reasons why we are having trouble getting new pilots into RC. Nitroplanes sent that plane with the elevator reversed. Which is typical of this company because they don't care. He had no help or anyone to ask.
Wiggles find a AMA club and make some life long friends who will be glad to help you get quality equipment that works. Then you'll have years of fun. And maybe down the line you'll want a real 3-D plane.
Try this go to you-tube and type in 3-D and watch the vids of the good planes. Dennis

jester_s1 08-06-2011 12:34 PM

It sounds like the OP has some flying experience with his friend, but needs to be trained on what appropriate flying sites are. If your plane gets away from you, it can travel several hundred feet before finding the ground. A little bird like that isn't going to burst through someone's roof and kill them, but it can break a window, scratch a car, or send someone to the ER with a nasty prop cut. Besides, you are a beginning flyer and you don't need an obstacle course of cars, houses and trees around you. Find a park with some wide open space and fly there.

opjose 08-06-2011 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG
Nitroplanes sent that plane with the elevator reversed. Which is typical of this company because they don't care.

Actually that's just speculation on your part.

You don't know if the switch was flipped by his friend or he did so accidentally...

It's a bit strange to call this a "3D" plane when it is designed much like a low wing foam trainer.
3D planes have large control surfaces, very low weight, and thick semi or symetric wings.

As a beginner's plane it is not bad at all and has rather tame characteristics.

No point throwing mud on something untried...

Wiggles21 08-06-2011 01:16 PM

The elevator is now turned the right way, it still doesn't go up.  If you hold it, it will pull but not enough to fly (the same as before I cracked it's nose  :D.   The prop is on the right direction.<div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>I'm not flying in a open street, the street leads to no where, the area is under construction.   </div><div>
</div><div>Parks for flying are not an option, the nearest one is 1hr away.</div><div>
</div><div>
</div>

Wiggles21 08-06-2011 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Lnewqban

How to I change it?

Also, do you have any tips for me to do to attempt not to completely destroy it?<br type="" />
See those rectangular switches on the low front of your radio transmitter?
Those are for reversing the action of the servos.
Move the one for elevator in th eopposite direction.

Tips:
1) Pay attention.
2) Read link of Post #6 above.
3) Ground the poor thing until you learn with a less demanding model (I suggest an electric glider).
1) I'm sure there was a time you didn't pay attention too.
2)didn't see a link.
3)Unless you plan on buying me a decent glider, that isn't going to happen. It was a gift.

gmeyer-RCU 08-06-2011 02:30 PM

I had one of these what a pile of crap that being said let's see where I went wrong
20 yrs nitro flying I was cheap when I bought this thing
1 cell in the battery pack was shot NO POWER had to ask the elc. flyer's about that
your elevator is binding some where CAREFULLY disconnect it and see if it will move up
this plane is mistakenly sold as a 3D plane? it might do loop's and roll's but it is NOT a 3D plane
I would go and buy something else like a hawk sky or a multiplex merlin and enjoy it
I once flew an elc. flying toy that no one else at the field could fly for an 8-10 year old boy after I landed I had a polite heart to heart talk with the dad about what he had bought and what would be a whole lot better for just a little more money I flew that thing 3 times that day the second flight the son flew around a bit for 6-8 min's the third flight I had very slight control over the plane and managed to crash gently into some tall grass
NEVER SAW THEM AGAIN even though the plane was not damaged
look on youtube there is a great video by ******** about the hawk sky it is not a expensive plane. Greg

Drmeff 08-06-2011 02:34 PM

The link he told you about is www.gettingairborne.com, you can't miss it, it is right in his signature as he said. (I think someone mentioned paying attention...)

Just take your time and read up for a bit, it sounds like you are way out of your league at the moment. From the sounds of it you don't have enough power or a long enough runway to get off the ground. Do you have the correct amount of battery power for this model? Are your batts fully charged? Please take some time and go over the manual again and read these posts otherwise your "gift" will be a heap of foam on the ground.

I am not trying to be a jerk, but I think your expectations are a bit high. You don't go from "how do I get my plane off the ground" to flying a low wing plane on the same day...

Link119 08-06-2011 02:37 PM

Link is in the signature.

Wiggles21 08-06-2011 02:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Drmeff

The link he told you about is www.gettingairborne.com, you can't miss it, it is right in his signature as he said. (I think someone mentioned paying attention...)

Just take your time and read up for a bit, it sounds like you are way out of your league at the moment. From the sounds of it you don't have enough power or a long enough runway to get off the ground. Do you have the correct amount of battery power for this model? Are your batts fully charged? Please take some time and go over the manual again and read these posts otherwise your "gift" will be a heap of foam on the ground.

I am not trying to be a jerk, but I think your expectations are a bit high. You don't go from "how do I get my plane off the ground" to flying a low wing plane on the same day...
I had signatures disabled, not sure how I did it.

Battery is fully charged according to the charger, runway is 2 miles lon :D

I can fly it if it would actually get in the air...
<br type="_moz" />

gmeyer-RCU 08-06-2011 03:04 PM

had the charger that came with the plane too, it lies check the battery with a volt meter 11 something if all 3 cells are good 7 something if only 2 are good like mine Greg

lopflyers 08-06-2011 05:51 PM

It just dont have enough power[X(]
Get a high wing trainer, a club and an instructor:D

Wiggles21 08-06-2011 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: gmeyer-RCU

had the charger that came with the plane too, it lies check the battery with a volt meter 11 something if all 3 cells are good 7 something if only 2 are good like mine Greg

Do you have a reccomendation for a volt meter, or a charger?
<br type="_moz" />

Wiggles21 08-06-2011 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

I'm going to be getting another plane in a month or so, will prolly be one of those.

Clubs are not and option, not going to drive 1hr everytime I want to fly.
<br type="_moz" />

jester_s1 08-06-2011 06:17 PM

A club is best, or at least an instructor, but at least go somewhere that has some wide open space. As for fixing your plane, if you have adequate horsepower up front and your elevator works while the air is flowing over it, it will take off. You could have binding, a bad servo, a flimsy linkage, a broken or misinstalled hinge, or maybe just too rough a surface to take off from. If you will hook up with an experienced flyer chances are he'll have it diagnosed in about a minute.

Spoofer 08-06-2011 06:26 PM

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

I'm going to be getting another plane in a month or so, will prolly be one of those.

Clubs are not and option, not going to drive 1hr everytime I want to fly.
<br type=''_moz'' />

Just have to say this- I have been flying for a little over 2 years now, I drive 1 hour to my club field to fly.
I love this hobby so much, I would drive two hours if I had too.....:D