RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Is Active Powersports for real? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/10747831-active-powersports-real.html)

Numbness 10-04-2011 05:32 AM

Is Active Powersports for real?

Hey all,

I'm looking for a Goldberg Eagle 2 ARF. According to GP, they are "temporarily unavailable"; can't find 'em at Tower, nor at my local hobby shop. However, I did find one at Active Powersports (internet only company). They don't have a customer service phone number, which makes me nervous. Does anyone have any personal experience with this company? Thanks in advance.

rob

opjose 10-04-2011 10:56 AM

RE: Is Active Powersports for real?

There are many small one person internet vendors that seem to get your order and THEN order the actual product from the manufacturers.

They turn it around and ship it out to you.

I wouldn't try it, especially if you cannot seem to get any sort of response to inquiries.

smithcreek 10-04-2011 11:02 AM

ORIGINAL: opjose

There are many small one person internet vendors that seem to get your order and THEN order the actual product from the manufacturers.

They turn it around and ship it out to you.

I wouldn't try it, especially if you cannot seem to get any sort of response to inquiries.

In other words, you don't know.

opjose 10-04-2011 11:07 AM

Yes I don't actually know.

I've seen and dealt with similiar vendors however with varying results.

stevenmax50 10-05-2011 11:30 AM

I would never give my money to someone who doesnt even have a phone number.

Scar 10-05-2011 01:01 PM

Well... you might try QuikTechHobby.

At least then, you'd get plenty of people who know about them to reply.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson

Das Capitolin 02-14-2012 02:18 PM

Just a friendly warning to anyone considering Active Powersports for R/C parts:

Active Powersports (aka Escondido Powersports) will charge your credit card before it ships anything, and since they don't carry any inventory (it's all drop-shipped from distributors) you could receive damaged or broken items and have a difficult time getting any refund or replacement. I 've made two different orders for buggy wheels, and three weeks later they've charged my credit card but silently cancelled both orders without notice.</p>

They offer almost no customer support and seldom answer their service line at (760) 746-0600.  Email and form messages generally do not receive any response.  During the one time I was able to make phone contact, I was informed that they're not able to complete orders for more than one of any item, as they do not carry inventory and only purchase from distributor overstock.

Their prices are far less than others for a reason: you'll never actually get the product advertised.</p>

dirtnapper01 01-31-2013 08:28 AM

Stay away, charge first, never ship, shipped my stuff after 3 wks., even though I had cancelled it that morning! Stuff is on the way, but will be refused as instructed by UPS. See if I get my money back. STAY AWAY!

rgm762 01-31-2013 03:11 PM

I would stay away also, hobbico owns carl Goldberg, http://www.hobbico.com/brands.html and has basically discontinued most if not all Goldberg arf's, http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/...ued/index.html so if a company says they have one, there is a very good chance their lying

SlickZERO 05-04-2013 01:38 AM

Can't believe they are still in business. They got me. If you notice they show everything in stock. I ordered several parts for a DLE 20 from them because everybody else was out of the rod. They charged my card and 3 weeks later shipped everything except the rod. They were out of it too but they got me to order from them by claiming everything was "in stock" and they got my money. Now 5 months later I am still waiting for the rod. They don't reply to e-mails. Luckily a reputable company got rods in and I was able to get one a few days after I received the order from AP. I am lucky I got most of the order and they only beat me out of a few dollars on the rod. From what I have read it could have been worse.

jester_s1 05-04-2013 05:10 AM

If the major distributors are all out of an item then chances are some rinky dink operation out of some guy's garage isn't going to be able to get it either.

SlickZERO 05-04-2013 06:06 AM

I agree. I should have checked here before I sent them $135.00.

chopper man 05-04-2013 06:48 AM

I guess I just don't understand. Why do people shop at these unknown places in order to get a deal then land up buying from a reputable place because they get ripped off. They pay a little more but they get the merchandise. Sadly they land up paying double. You get what you pay for or in this case you pay and don't get:D. For me, I'll stick with Tower. Just my nickel's worth which isn't worth much.

SlickZERO 05-05-2013 02:31 AM

ORIGINAL: chopper man

I guess I just don't understand. Why do people shop at these unknown places in order to get a deal then land up buying from a reputable place because they get ripped off. They pay a little more but they get the merchandise. Sadly they land up paying double. You get what you pay for or in this case you pay and don't get:D. For me, I'll stick with Tower. Just my nickel's worth which isn't worth much.
Tower and everyone else I know was out of the rod. So I Googled the part number and Active Powersports came up. They showed crank, rod, etc. everything in stock. It wasn't cheaper. They have a convincing web site so I ordered the parts. The next day they showed all parts shipped. 3 weeks later the box arrived with no rod. It was circled on the receipt and marked "BO". That was 4 months ago, still no rod, and won't reply to my e-mails or return phone calls.
THEIR POLICY SEEMS TO BE: Show everything in stock and get your money. Have what they can drop shipped, and forget the rest.

Weasel Keeper 05-05-2013 07:34 AM

The RC gods are telling you to buy the kit version ;)

chopper man 05-05-2013 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: SlickZERO

Tower and everyone else I know was out of the rod. So I Googled the part number and Active Powersports came up. They showed crank, rod, etc. everything in stock. It wasn't cheaper. They have a convincing web site so I ordered the parts. The next day they showed all parts shipped. 3 weeks later the box arrived with no rod. It was circled on the receipt and marked ''BO''. That was 4 months ago, still no rod, and won't reply to my e-mails or return phone calls.
THEIR POLICY SEEMS TO BE: Show everything in stock and get your money. Have what they can drop shipped, and forget the rest.
Sad that you can't trust so many people. Hopefully you'll get your money back or your stuff. Did you call your cc company?
Good luck.

SlickZERO 05-05-2013 05:08 PM

ORIGINAL: SlickZERO

Tower and everyone else I know was out of the rod. So I Googled the part number and Active Powersports came up. They showed crank, rod, etc. everything in stock. It wasn't cheaper. They have a convincing web site so I ordered the parts. The next day they showed all parts shipped. 3 weeks later the box arrived with no rod. It was circled on the receipt and marked ''BO''. That was 4 months ago, still no rod, and won't reply to my e-mails or return phone calls.
Sad that you can't trust so many people. Hopefully you'll get your money back or your stuff. Did you call your cc company?
Good luck.

I paid with PayPal and has been over 4 months. I was lucky it wasn't more than just the rod but they will never get another dime out of me or any out of our 135 club members.

Shaun Evans 11-06-2014 09:56 AM

Whew!

Glad I checked up first! I had a $500 order all set to go to the point of one last click! Found this thread (I looked because the no phone kinda made me suspicious) and averted a disaster!

THANKS, GUYS!

SlickZERO 11-06-2014 01:44 PM

Do not order from them. 2 years ago everybody was out of DLE 20 rods and cranks. I found them on Google. Ordered and after 2 weeks received the rod but still waiting on the crank. No response to e-mails. Sounds like a profitable business. Don't ship parts but keep the money. I am surprised they are still around.

jester_s1 11-11-2014 07:26 AM

They are still around because there are still cheap people who shop based on price alone. The customers these guys go after are the ones who sit there and Google for the item they want and buy from the cheapest vendor they can find. Companies like this are bad for the hobby all the way around. They discourage hobbyists with their antics, and they suck money away from the ethical businesses that provide good items and good service. We're already seeing the demise of the local hobby shop as it used to exist 30 years ago, and the good online retailers will be next. 20 more years from now it's entirely possible that there won't be a Tower or TBM to buy from; we'll all have to deal with HobbyKing and fly by night companies like Active Powersports for everything we get.

SlickZERO 11-11-2014 08:18 AM

The parts I wanted were cheaper at Tower and other stores. Active Power Sports was the only one that showed them in stock. (which was a lie). That is how they got me, not that they were cheaper. They did send me "updates" until it was past the time limit to file a claim with PayPal. As soon as the time was up never heard from them again and never got 2 of the parts.

jkdv8 11-11-2014 12:48 PM

great. Should have done more research like you guys. I like most of you purchased a speed controller and motor from them(only place that had the ESC in stock at the time.) Received an email from them the next day saying the motor was "backordered" and wanted to know what I wanted to do. Ask to either ship the ESC and wait for the motor or just cancel the motor. 3rd email sent yesterday haven't heard nothing. Probably end up opening a claim with PayPal.

Flight 21 09-29-2017 12:26 PM

Ditto on all that has been said here. I placed an order yesterday, paid and everything. However thanks to this forum I sent an email to them asking if the items were actually in stock and that I had heard about poor business practices from them concerning listing OOS items and to email me immediately if the items were not in stock. They did email back and confirm that the items were not in stock and they did refund my money. No apology or explanation other than blaming HPI and not taking responsibility. I won't ever buy from them again. I doubt they carry any RC parts in stock at all and just take orders left and right and then clean up whatever mess they created when they get around to it. They might actually send items, however it won't be until they place and order form someone else and then turn around and ship it out. Thanks RCU and you guys for the heads up!

[email protected] 12-20-2017 06:01 PM

I wish I had done my due diligence before I ordered from this bone head. This is not a brick and mortar company with employees and a customer relations department. This guy sits at his computer, takes deposits and passes the orders on to the manufacturer, then THEY ship to you. It's called drop shipping. He's a middle man and has no control over inventory or when back orders are filled.
I ordered four bodies at a significant savings and bragged about to my rc circle of friends. It was a week before I saw a tracking number, another week goes by and only one body show up in a box. Keep in mind there was no mention of any items being out of stock on the product page of one the order page.
You have to click the Home tab on his web site to find the contact email. ([email protected])I sent an email asking wusup. He replied and said all the rest is on back order and said I can wait or take a refund. I'm opting for the refund. We'll see how it goes from here.

giguchan 02-21-2018 07:56 AM

THIS is why i ask before ordering..... Good thing i saw this thread.... Like some of you i was already to "click" their site is shady looking and the PP links dont look right.

Another crisis averted.

I'll wait.