RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   How to pick up the crash and move on (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/10824014-how-pick-up-crash-move.html)

ES CONTROL 11-22-2011 10:29 AM

How to pick up the crash and move on

I Have had many mishaps/crashes. And everytime I sink into a depression.
Than I take that first step to repair, and the next thing I know its fixed.

This Question is not just for me but everyone. I think some of our new guys may need to hear your way to over comming this depression.

<br type="_moz" />

MajorTomski 11-22-2011 10:37 AM

RE: How to pick up the crash and move on

I sort of inherited a problem from my Dad. He builds too much love into his models. So we go out to fly RC and he's terrified it will crash, terrified to the point that when he does fly he freezes up and the fear becomes a self fulfilling proficy. He crashes.

One day in college, (1976) a friend let me take the sticks of his plane. First thought through my head was: "OMG what will I do if I crash this thing?" The answer, simple I go buy him another $85 kit and move on.

Crashing is a part of learing to fly RC. The sooner you learn from the crash and don't do that again, the better off you will be. I've been very active in the hobby since 1995, and in those 16 years I think I may have "totaled" one plane every 18 months. The most recent was a Big Stick 60 that I was having so much fun flying, I flew it till the battery died. So did the plane. That was two years ago. I now check voltages every flight. Haven't lost one recently. I did tear out the gear on an Aerophibian two months ago but that's repaiable.

It happens, look to the next good flight!

Gray Beard 11-22-2011 10:44 AM

I was told by my basic instructor on my first day of flying, if I get upset about crashing and loosing a plane then I'm in the wrong hobby. When I crash or loose a plane for any reason I'm not happy about it but it doesn't put me into any type of depression. I pick up the pieces and in a few days start a new build on another type of plane. Up until this year I have never bothered to build the same type of plane twice. If a crash and loss depresses you then this may not be the hobby for you. That was my first lesson. I do get ticked off a lot more when something in the crash breaks like a good servo or my last big crash my ignition looks like someone took a hammer to it. The plane itself, not a huge deal, I just build another. Depression is done with by the time I get home from the field. I can't see anyone getting upset with the loss of an ARF at all other then the money spent.

rs speed 11-22-2011 11:14 AM

Walking up to the crash site it usually the worst part, not knowing the extent of the damage. Usually if the motor/electronics are okay I immidiatly feel better and start thinking about what plane I'll shoehorn the parts into next. Last time I lost an elevator right over the assphault runway around 80mph and she darted straght in the blacktop. The motor broke in half and I never recovered the piston... Still I tend to recover fast and laugh it off. I usually try to fly what I can afford to crash and I accept that everytime I take her out to the field there's a chance shes not coming home. That being said I've never crashed a kit. I can imagine if I crashed a kit build or worst yet a scratch build I'd be fairly upset if it wasn't salvageable. Otherwise I enjoy building and fixing... crashes are part of the hobby!

pdm52956 11-22-2011 11:47 AM

Shoot man, a crash is nothing more nothing less than a reason to get a new plane! No depression here. :D

richardgerardi 11-22-2011 01:11 PM

I was told that there were more where that one came from:)

MetallicaJunkie 11-22-2011 01:45 PM

its been a looong time since ive crashed because of stupidity, but when i do, i immediately pick up the pieces and gas up another plane and fly.... thats why i take 2-3 planes every time i go fly :D

get back in the saddle again.... ASAP before it scars you mentally, which is harder to over come

Campgems 11-22-2011 01:54 PM

Every crash is a chance to learn something. What went wrong? What broke? Figure it out and try to make sure it doesn't happen again. Sometimes, just looking at your hands after will tell you what you did wrong. You, or at least I do, freeze at the point of the crash. On one a couple years back, I looked down to see I had pegged the elevator in the down position. I had been playing with the CG and got it to far back and just as I reached the end of the runway on landing, I must have dialed in a little up and the plane did a sharp up followed with an overaction on my part, Full down and That's all she wrote folks. Two lessons learned, 1. when adjusting CG to the rear, baby steps, and 2. Don't panic, that is a sure way to over react and crash. Still havent got #2 under control just yet.

Don

jetmech05 11-22-2011 01:58 PM

I'm not gonna lie...crashing bothers me for a few days.....what could I have done differently, did I miss something on pre-flight etc etc.....
But you know everyone crashes...period...everyone.......All RC aircraft have an experation date...just like people.
So you have a choice let the fear of crashing keep you from really enjoying the hobby....or fly it like you stole it....
You fly you crash

archie05 11-22-2011 02:55 PM

jetmech05- you said it exactly how I feel also. Really bummed out for the first few days, then I jump in and get it fixed.

Archie

CGRetired 11-22-2011 03:02 PM

The "upset" part is when we know that it could have been prevented. I've outlined the few crashes I've had and they all could have been prevented... raising the antenna? "Dumb thumbs"? We all do it and are more pissed over what we did than the model, cuz, someone said it.. we can go out and get a new model. So, we clean up and move on... very often to something bigger and better!!!

CGr.

Gray Beard 11-22-2011 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

The ''upset'' part is when we know that it could have been prevented. I've outlined the few crashes I've had and they all could have been prevented... raising the antenna? ''Dumb thumbs''? We all do it and are more pissed over what we did than the model, cuz, someone said it.. we can go out and get a new model. So, we clean up and move on... very often to something bigger and better!!!

CGr.
Oh Dick, who would be stupid enough to forget to raise the antenna??? That's just silly talk and not worth mentioning.:eek: Dumb thumb?? It hasn't been my thumbs that have gotten in the way in years. Mine are usually Gastritis of the Cerebellum. What kind of fool goes out flying the day after eye surgery? What dumbass would ever take a 20 year old plane and see how many and how fast the plane can snap roll at full throttle? That would be stupid. Almost as stupid as taking up a favorite plane knowing you have radio problems. Guess I have had a lot more luck then most in these reguards!!:D

firestone1121 11-22-2011 05:01 PM

You havent "flown" until youve crashed.... I managed to hit the only tree on the 200 acres we fly out of... that was my first and last crash and it was 4 years ago. Hopefully i didnt just jinx myself. In a way i wish i would crash more lol. That way i can make more room for what i want next! :D

CGRetired 11-23-2011 04:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

The ''upset'' part is when we know that it could have been prevented. I've outlined the few crashes I've had and they all could have been prevented... raising the antenna? ''Dumb thumbs''? We all do it and are more pissed over what we did than the model, cuz, someone said it.. we can go out and get a new model. So, we clean up and move on... very often to something bigger and better!!!

CGr.
Oh Dick, who would be stupid enough to forget to raise the antenna??? That's just silly talk and not worth mentioning.:eek: Dumb thumb?? It hasn't been my thumbs that have gotten in the way in years. Mine are usually Gastritis of the Cerebellum. What kind of fool goes out flying the day after eye surgery? What dumbass would ever take a 20 year old plane and see how many and how fast the plane can snap roll at full throttle? That would be stupid. Almost as stupid as taking up a favorite plane knowing you have radio problems. Guess I have had a lot more luck then most in these reguards!!:D
He says, "Who, me?" :D Never happen. Not in a million years. Nah.. nope.. nada.. [X(] :D

goirish 11-23-2011 04:38 AM

I had a friend that would put a garbage bag in all of his planes, he would just wad it up and stuff it in the fuselage someplace. When he would crash it, he would take the garbage bag out and pick up the pieces. Made it easier to get back to the flight line.

Sport_Pilot 11-23-2011 05:11 AM

Happy Face trashbags?

Seriously there used to be a trainer called US Aircore or maybe US Aircorp.  And other fairly crashproof planes.  They are no longer availble but maybe on E-Bay.

I may have one, not sure if I sold it or not.

goirish 11-23-2011 05:30 AM

Our club had a member that would put a garbage bag in all of his planes, he would just wad it up and stuff it in the fuselage someplace. When he would crash it, he would take the garbage bag out and pick up the pieces. Made it easier to get back to the flight line.

corch 11-23-2011 06:14 AM

As my instructor was taxiing my Easy Sport to the runway during my first initial training flight, he told me, "You can't fall in love with this model. If you think it will upset you when it's destroyed, this may not be your thing. My job is to teach you to learn how to fly safely, and to save your plane when you get into trouble. When you are on your own, you will have the skills to help yourself save the plane. But all planes will crash if you let them. Most of the time it will be repairable, but you have to except the fact that in this hobby, no model lasts forever. Mid airs happen. Parts fail. You forget a critical system to check during preflight. It happens." By the end of his speech, the plane was up in the air, looping and rolling, as he was trimming it. Then he said, "ok, you're the boss. Keep it in sight and fly the pattern, focus on keeping your wings level, and fly parallel to the runway." I sheared the nose gear off that model (fixed that night after a quick stop to the LHS) went through 3 nylon wing bolts, and a few white patches of monocote, and several props.

My second model, probably the most crashed model for most fliers, was a Phoenix Seebee. Low wing, tail dragger. Awesome plane. a "builders arf." I sheared the aft third of the plane off after landing too hot and running into corn. Fixed in one afternoon, recovered and adjusted radio programming the next morning. The next season I ripped the gear plate out and perforated the wings with the wheel pants. Fixed in 2 hours at the field, put 3 more flights on it that day. That incident was caused by not being aggressive enough on landing, and I allowed the plane to stall just short of the approach. I was really mad at myself for letting that happen, but it was a mistake that I learned from....not something that should send anyone into a depression.

Of course, my attitude may change after I put my first kit together this winter!

Airbear 11-23-2011 07:09 AM

I remember when I was learning to fly my instructor just said " Dont fall in love with it" Didn,t take long to figure out what he meant.:)

porthole200 11-23-2011 07:18 AM

The only planes that don't crash are the ones you leave at home.

andernamen 11-23-2011 07:28 AM

First off, pick up ALL the pieces. Sit on it for a week or two and don't do anything right away. Wait for the emotional pain to subside. Once that passes, take a look at what you've got. If it looks feasible, start the rebuilding process. Glue some of the parts back together, order the parts you need that cannot be put back together and before you know it, it'll be back flying. I've done this with several of my Warbirds.

Radical Departure 11-23-2011 07:35 AM

2 kinds of flyers, those that HAVE crashed and those that WILL. Typically I go like this; first embarrassment because others were watching.. then its all cool as fellow flyers help you pick up the pieces and yak about what may have happened. Now that the pieces are in the truck, I'm pissed at myself because most crashes are preventable. Then I transition to 'Oh man...' when I think of the money/time I had in the bird. From there I'll think on it for a day or two.. and then start shopping for a replacement. Thankfully over time and experience crashing has become far less frequent... 5 yrs. or so now?

On that note, I'll rarely fly someone elses bird. Not that I might crash it, but personally I'd feel horrible if something happened, and you just don't know how people are really going to react in the situation.

Radical Departure 11-23-2011 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: goirish
Our club had a member that would put a garbage bag in all of his planes, he would just wad it up and stuff it in the fuselage someplace. When he would crash it, he would take the garbage bag out and pick up the pieces. Made it easier to get back to the flight line.
sweet... :D

GerKonig 11-23-2011 07:44 AM

You pick up the crash one piece at the time. Early in this hobby I had only one plane. That did not last long (there were no ARFs then). I realized it is better to have one ready to fly, and a replacement handy. So then once a "oops" happened I normally switched the radio, power plant and fuel tank to the new model, and I was ready in no time flat. Then I had 3 models, then 4... etc.

The important thing is to get a new one ready fast, and go out and have fun. If you go out for dinner and a movie you are out of $120 (at least). So what! Now, if you cannot afford to crash a model, well, maybe you are in the wrong hobby, or you need a simulator.

Finally, I have to admit, many times the fault is yours. But since you know that you are not perfect, that should not worry you at all:-) You have bigger screw-ups coming your way. It is called life...

Gerry

RCER88 11-23-2011 07:47 AM

EVERY plane has an expiration date. The problem is we don't know that date. The last crash I had was a spectacular midair I was laughing before all the pieces finished falling. The plane was a totaled but oh well. Even the engine was broken. ASP61FS That hurt but I accepted the loss.

I try to determine the cause. Learn from it and move on. I see guys get all upset. Those people are in the wrong "HOBBY", **** happens.

Proper setup, preflights and battery care can prevent many crashes. I learned that years ago!!!

If you do not learn from the crash then you are destined to repeat. Learning from the mistakes and accepting the fact it happened will make you a better pilot.

You have to be able to "crash reconstruct". In twenty plus years I have only had one crash that I was not completely sure of the problem. I wrote that one off to pilot error. Every other crash I was able to determine the cause. Most were "pilot error" by being completely honest with myself not playing the "blame game". Some were obvious failures (parts breaking in flight).