RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   WARNING BE CAREFUL (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11024701-warning-careful.html)

billd76 04-02-2012 03:54 AM

WARNING BE CAREFUL

These pics are very graphic, but I hope they serve as a reminder that these aircraft are not toys. I was at the field yesterday. Had a great time flying, even though my PT 19 wing broke in half on landing. Guess I should've inspected it more closely during the rebuild. Anyway decided to fly my morris hobby profile with the OS 55 AX. Got the enigine started and instead of walking around and disconnecting the glow driver from behind the plane I reached around the prop from the front. I got complacent and got bit hard. Good news is that, the prop basically filleted my thumb, missing the tendon. It took 60 stitches . Be careful, pay attention even with the smallest of props and planes. Take the time to be safe!!

AA5BY 04-02-2012 04:07 AM

RE: WARNING BE CAREFUL

Oh Gosh.... sorry about your accident and your warning is appropriate for all of us to heed and be vigilant.

As to your PT-19, I've followed your purchase and efforts and hope it will fly again.

jetmech05 04-02-2012 04:26 AM

Geez I am so sorry that happened to you....I got bit 3 years ago last Thansgiving morning....
This is a good post thanks for the reminder

MinnFlyer 04-02-2012 04:49 AM

Sorry Bill, I had to remove them. They were a bit too graphic.

Now I gotta go eat breakfast again :D

smithcreek 04-02-2012 05:02 AM

I didn't click on them to enlarge, they were graphic enough at thumbnail size. [:'(] :D Even people that have been flying for years at my club reach over the prop in a hurry to remove the glow plug ignitor. Kind of funny when the very next thing they do is walk behind the plane to tune it or pick it up most of the time. As long as you're walking around back, just wait two seconds to take it off.

Ken Erickson 04-02-2012 05:03 AM

When we were preparing for our Charity Fly-In last year, my son suggested that I ask the Hand Center at St. Vincent Hospital for a donation, "Because you guys give them sooo much business!".

Ken Erickson
Columbus, IN

goirish 04-02-2012 05:43 AM

I'm not sure it was to graphic. I think we all need a reminder that when we lose our train of though this is what could happen. I sent it to every club member to remind them that motor and engines are getting larger and can cause great damage.

goirish 04-02-2012 05:45 AM

Sorry to hear and see that Bill. Good thing you are a Marine, if you had been in another branch you would have passed out. OK, guys I know when I say another branch. (maybe the GS)

billd76 04-02-2012 05:45 AM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Understood, If anyone wants them for club new letters just PM me. Would like to hope I can keep it from happening to anyone.

levram1 04-02-2012 07:14 AM

Send them to me because they are not on the thread.

klord125 04-02-2012 08:34 AM

I'll take your word for it. I for one do not need to see the pictures. I don't do so good with that kind of stuff LOL...

Platinum 04-02-2012 11:18 AM

I also was hit with my OS91 Surpass with a 14/6 prop.
I would like to see you graphic?

Thks.

billd76 04-02-2012 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: levram1

Send them to me because they are not on the thread.
Need your emial address. Not showing up in your profile

Mustangman40 04-02-2012 12:29 PM

I am on the Board in my club and would like the pics to keep it on members minds as to what can happen..

Jimbo

Sessholvlaru 04-02-2012 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Remove them? Why not just put "Graphic" in the thread title? If you can't handle it just don't look.

BIGMIG 04-02-2012 01:46 PM

I posted here just a week or so ago about these model airplanes and helicopters ( THESE ARE NOT TOYS ).Or something like that......

Anyone who has been flying for a while or who is around enough people who do will know of someone who has got on the wrong end of a prop.!!! These motors and propellers are serious business........Electric or gas....Think of these as a lawn mower....!! And this just relates to the spinning blades or props.........Not to mention what can happen in the hands of a new pilot,or a plane that has a malfunction and goes out of control flying (some of the bigger models ) at speeds of 40..50..60..70..or more miles per hour.

The guys who have been into this sport for a while should know better ( But a lot of us still do things that we know we should not do and at times can pay the price for doing so ).What i'm more concerned with is the new ( GUY or GAL ) who buys these models thinking they are just toys and has no idea until "after the fact" what damage they can do if not properly handled.

I'm still dumb-founded as to why a general warning on these forums can not be posted with a sticky that says "These models are not toys"

Mabe this is due to the advertisers not wanting this as it may scare off a potential buyer of one of their products? But myself i could not sell these models to anyone with out pointing out the fact that these models are not toys and can hurt you or others if not used and handled with respect for what they "are" and what they "can do" >agai i say ( THESE ARE NOT TOYS )

BIGMIG [:-]

I will also add this as a good "EXAMPLE". Now I have been flying planes and building them for a long time.Just got my first "ELECTRIC"
airplane and i'm new to these models and have a lot to learn about them.After puting the model togeather and testing out all control functions with out the propeller being installed...Decided to put the prop on and to see how much power and pull i would get out of this motor and prop (electric motors like i said is new to me ) We have a little table in the front of the kitchen (more like a counter attached to a wall...call it our snack area )and i placed it on this counter and i held on to the tail section and opened the throttle.........Well this prop is held on with a collet type adapter to the motor shaft.....Thought i had it tight enough.........Well i didn't and this prop flew off at (several thousand RPM Just guessing here as i don't know how fast it turns ) and it went bouncing off several different things and ended up in the middle of the kitchen floor ).....No damage to anything i could see..a little nick on the very tip of one blade (3 blade prop ) But mabe you can draw your own conclussions what could have happened if someone would have been in its path...........

CGRetired 04-02-2012 02:03 PM

Glad to hear you are ok, Bill. I had an incident with a new electric. The throttle was reversed, only I didn't know it. I had the prop on the motor and was in the process of setting the plane up. I didn't realize that the throttle on the TX was reversed. I started with the setup of the motor, energized the ESC/motor, and followed the instructions to turn the motor. I pushed the throttle to full open, which was supposed to initialize the ESC, but little did I realize that it was already initalized because idle was actually full with my current setting. Then when I pulled the throttle back to idle, the motor went to full. The result was five stiches on my right index finger as I instinctly reached for the plane as it tried to fly through my living room window.

These things happen. We become complacent, and ignore the basic signs of a pending accident.

I won't do that again, but I am sure that it will happen to someone out there because we tend to ignore the basic and simple signs of a pending situation.

Bill, I hope you don't suffer from this. That can and will be painful for a while. My finger took several weeks to become totally usable.

CGr.

spog1 04-02-2012 02:13 PM

These are toys. All my toys are dangerous.

BIGMIG 04-02-2012 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: spog1

These are toys. All my toys are dangerous.

I like to think a lot of my posts serve a purpose.......What does a post like this serve.??

BIGMIG [:o]

CGRetired 04-02-2012 02:21 PM

Well, to tell you the truth, some think of them as toys. Some think of them as tools of thier trade. Yet others think of them as objects of a serious hobby. Many make their living flying these things. I would think that considering them as "just toys" is a tad bit uninformed.

CGr.

BIGMIG 04-02-2012 02:34 PM

I didn't see the pictures posted on this thread.........But i have seen other pictures and some friends (the friends after the fact results
of what they did and the results)It's not pretty,but it's living proof and may well serve it's purpose if thats what it takes.

Then one can decide if these are toys or not.

BIGMIG ;)

spog1 04-02-2012 02:44 PM

I like to think a lot of my posts serve a purpose.......What does a post like this serve.??
The purpose of the post is simple,many people don't assume toys are harmless. It is misleading to state "these models are not toys" versus "these models are dangerous".

BIGMIG 04-02-2012 03:01 PM

Well the fact is most people consider RC airplanes as toys. You can type in ( Toys WIKIPEDIA ) and debate what they should be called with them.In general most people think of toys as something one buys for kids,and in general it is something that can't hurt them and an item they play with.There for i'll stick with (RC airplanes are not toys ).

BIGMIG ;)

Nothing here to debate about that with me.

Gray Beard 04-02-2012 03:54 PM

I do consider my planes and guns as toys, just toys that if not handled correctly can kill and maime. Do to the fact I'm taking so many blood thinners, {scratched my arm a little, very little and bled for three days} I decided to set up my planes for long term storage {about another year} and just fly small electrics until I am no longer taking the drugs. I fly too far from any type of help and haved been having a pretty bad run of luck lately, better safe then dead!! Toys can kill, when I was younger I had a lot of two and four wheel toys too.;)

billd76 04-02-2012 05:24 PM

guys lets not turn this into a discussion and debate, props are damn dangerous. I was wrong reaching in from the front of the plane to disconnect the glow driver. period!! If any one needs pics send me a email address and $15,000.00 in royality fees :D:D and I'll get them too you. I'm damn lucky I still have my thumb. I've learned from it and will move on!! SAFELY!!!