RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Which electronics should I choose? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11679974-electronics-should-i-choose.html)

12Harris12 06-24-2020 09:34 AM

Which electronics should I choose?

Hello,

I am going to build my first rc plane but need advice on which electronics to choose as a beginner including:

1) transmitter/receiver
2) battery
3) motor
4) esc
5) servos (for ailerons, rudder, elevator)

Thanks in advance!

perttime 06-24-2020 10:49 AM

What kind of a plane do you want to build and fly?
Is budget important?

jester_s1 06-24-2020 04:58 PM

Stick with an established trainer design and use the recommended power system and servos. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.
What's your experience with RC?

sensei 06-25-2020 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by 12Harris12 (Post 12613652)
Hello,

I am going to build my first rc plane but need advice on which electronics to choose as a beginner including:

1) transmitter/receiver
2) battery
3) motor
4) esc

Thanks in advance!

I Recommend Spektrum radio and receiver, battery HRB, esc castle Creations, motor Torque and servos Savox MKS. There are many other choices out there, this is just what I would do.

Bob

12Harris12 06-26-2020 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by perttime (Post 12613667)
What kind of a plane do you want to build and fly?
Is budget important?

Sorry for the late response. I want to build a simple trainer from cardboard.

jester_s1 06-28-2020 04:07 PM

Cardboard is way too heavy and too flimsy to build a good airplane.
Have a look at https://www.flitetest.com/articles/t...nner-ft-planes and pick one of those if you want to build something. The experimentation has already been done on them, so you will have a reasonable chance of success. You won't save money by building, at least not for your first project. Learning to build can save you money in the long run though as you will also learn to do repairs and can transfer components into new projects.

Cheaper and easier would be to buy a ready to fly model like the Hobby King Bixler.

perttime 06-28-2020 09:56 PM

Corrugated cardboard is feasible for a flying model. BUT. The original question suggests that you are a beginner. Buy or build something that is already known to work, as jester s1 suggests. And use equipment that is recommended for it.

jester_s1 06-29-2020 06:35 AM

Yes, it can be done and has been done. But it's an inferior material. Foamboard is so much lighter and stronger, especially with carbon or spruce spars added in the right places..Or to kick it up a notch, a styrofoam wing covered in 1/16 balsa is incredibly strong and easy to build too.

12Harris12 06-29-2020 04:59 PM

Ok, thank you all for the advice.
i would like to build the ft-Nutball as my first plane but I have never worked with foamboard before.
Will I be able to build it without that Knowledge?

jester_s1 06-29-2020 06:45 PM

I wouldn't build a Nutball as my first plane, but it's an easy build. You'll be better off going with one of the p;lanes designed to be a trainer like the Tiny Trainer or the simple Cub. But if that's the one that has you excited, go for it.

perttime 06-29-2020 10:51 PM

Looking at the proportions, the Nutball looks like it isn't as forgiving as a purpose built trainer. A beginner generally needs a model that corrects itself to upright flight when you release the controls. The Nutball doesn't look like it will.

Foam board should be easy to cut with a sharp knife. With most foams, you need to be careful to use glues that do not melt the foam.

Have you used a simulator? Simulators are good for orientation, even if they might not include all the variables of the real world. I just have the free version of Picasim on my Android phone but it is available for other platforms too.

12Harris12 06-30-2020 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by jester_s1 (Post 12614664)
I wouldn't build a Nutball as my first plane, but it's an easy build. You'll be better off going with one of the p;lanes designed to be a trainer like the Tiny Trainer or the simple Cub. But if that's the one that has you excited, go for it.

That's the reason why I want to build the Nutball. I think that the nutball is ideal for a beginner. After I successfully built it then I most likely will choose to build the tiny trainer.
What I have noticed is that most of the recommended electronics for the nutball is out of date and isnt offered anymore. Can I use similar electronics with the same features?

12Harris12 06-30-2020 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by perttime (Post 12614691)
Looking at the proportions, the Nutball looks like it isn't as forgiving as a purpose built trainer. A beginner generally needs a model that corrects itself to upright flight when you release the controls. The Nutball doesn't look like it will.

Foam board should be easy to cut with a sharp knife. With most foams, you need to be careful to use glues that do not melt the foam.

Have you used a simulator? Simulators are good for orientation, even if they might not include all the variables of the real world. I just have the free version of Picasim on my Android phone but it is available for other platforms too.

No, I dont have a simulator but thanks for the tip.

12Harris12 06-30-2020 09:55 AM

Can someone tell me where to get the right foam board used for the nutball?

12Harris12 06-30-2020 09:57 AM

I also have got other questions but I think should use separate threads for them, so the discussion doesn't go too much off-topic. Or is it ok if I just use this thread for all my questions?

Hydro Junkie 06-30-2020 04:19 PM

You're the one that started the thread so go ahead and ask. I too would recommend a trainer for your first plane. My first plane, back in 1986, was a Sig Kadet Jr. It was an easy build, especially for a rookie like me. I would go with a Kadet MK II and, when you get it in the air, try one of your other "dream" planes

speedracerntrixie 06-30-2020 06:17 PM

I hadn't heard of an airplane called " Nutball " before so I looked it up. Seems to be a few different versions including one with polyhedral. Looks like it would be an inexpensive project and the OP would definitely learn from it. Normal foamboard can be found at many Dollar or craft stores. I know that both my local Michaels and Hobby Lobby both stock it.

As for radio gear, motors, batteries and an ESC I would suggest you take a look at Aloft Hobbies. They carry everything you would need to outfit your project. My suggestion would be to buy a GWS Slow Stick from them with all the radio gear and accessories needed to fly. Start learning with the Slow Stick as you build your Nutball in a size that would allow you to pull the electronics out of the Stick and use in the Nutball.

https://alofthobbies.com/

https://alofthobbies.com/slow-stick-...tem-parts.html

perttime 06-30-2020 08:30 PM

I didn't know any GWS kits are still available. The Slow Stick should be great as a first RC model.

jester_s1 07-04-2020 08:50 AM

That Tiny Trainer on Flite Test would be pretty equivalent to a Slow Stick.
The Nutball is going to be too fast, too hard to see as it changes orientation, and too quick to turn. You'll crash it during the first 2-3 seconds of flight. If that's your goal, go ahead.
I'll also recommend getting someone to teach you. With a little luck, you may find someone here.

Real2You 07-06-2020 02:47 PM

Are you planning to stay in the hobby? If so, .....nevermind....I'm a noob myself....better keep my advice to myself. Ahh what the heck...Sure looks like a lot of effort and work to fly something that will either crash or you will get bored of after a few flights.

wnewbury 07-06-2020 07:11 PM

My Nutball flies well (easily) but it flies much better without the landing gear. Doesn't handle strong wind very well. I built mine from the kit but Dollar Tree sells the foam board. Theirs is not water resistant though. Good Luck.

049flyer 07-08-2020 05:17 AM

Wet grass is a killer of planes built with some types of foam board. Unfortunately, it seems that the best foam board to use is the type most susceptible to moisture related problems.

Foam board is just an OK building material in my opinion, much like cardboard or coroplast. They all work well within their limitations but none work as well as good old balsa. Foam board is probably the easiest and fastest to use.

bisco 09-18-2020 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by 12Harris12 (Post 12613652)
Hello,

1) transmitter/receiver
2) battery
3) motor
4) esc

Thanks in advance!

try value hobby, but i would suggest plans with a complete list of accessories

Hydro Junkie 09-18-2020 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by sensei (Post 12613798)
I Recommend Spektrum radio and receiver, battery HRB, esc castle Creations, motor Torque and servos Savox MKS. There are many other choices out there, this is just what I would do.

Bob

No offense to Sensei but I'd stick with one brand of radio gear for a first and probably second aircraft. If you stick with one brand, you know it's made to work together and shouldn't cause any issues. I would agree with Castle Creations speed controllers since they are very dependable BUT, which ever controller you buy, make sure it's matched to the motor's requirements. A controller than can handle 50 amps, for example, will burn up quickly if your motor pulls more than that under load

speedracerntrixie 09-18-2020 02:38 PM

These days servo comparability is not an issue. I've got a helicopter that has a mix of Futaba, JR and MKS servos and a Futaba gyro driven by Hitec TX and RX. I personally won't buy a Castle Creations ESC, they have been having a fair share of issues lately. Probably OK in the smaller sizes though.