RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   What components to use for a heavy-lift long-range fixed wing plane? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11686448-what-components-use-heavy-lift-long-range-fixed-wing-plane.html)

cargoplane 01-06-2021 10:24 AM

What components to use for a heavy-lift long-range fixed wing plane?

Hello guys!!!
I looking for advice regarding components and wing parameters for a fixed-wing cargo plane that is capable to lift 13-22 lbs (6-10 kg) payload and fly with it 24 mi (40 km) to the drop point and return back home.

What components should I use to achieve my goals?

Thanks in advance!

DGrant 01-06-2021 11:07 AM

Your best component is study. What you're proposing is an extreme stretch for even very experienced people, and most likely would only be accomplished with a "team" rather then any individual.

Also what you're proposing isn't anywhere in the "general hobby" area... but more like very advanced in many aspects. I'm guessing by your question here in the "beginners" forum that you've never flown any RC planes at all... and don't have a grasp on what's available to the mainstream hobbyist and what other advanced resources might be needed for what you're asking.

If you've never flown an RC plane, the first thing would be get a trainer plane, an instructor, and go about learning to fly, and getting a foot hold on that, and see for yourself what kind of challenges even the simplest plane holds when flying LOS(line of sight)... and therein you'll gain insight on what might be needed to fly long range, out of sight. That's a whole different game I'm sure... but before that would even occur just learning to fly and studying it would be your best component to your whole scenario... walk before you run.. or even find out if you can walk(in this case fly).

These types of posts come up frequently, with the original posters having extravagant extreme ideas of carrying payloads long distance, or some other dream they might have that they somehow think the items needed to achieve these goals is simply a list, and order it up. The fact is there's thousands of possibilities out there, and way more then can be put into on thread here on RCU... and much of it is already written if you search it out.. but what you're asking is usually far beyond any general hobbyist, and there's no "list of components' until you make your own... and learn to fly and trust your own instincts. Flying RC is easily learned by many people. Long range flying, carrying payload, return to base, etc.. is way far beyond general hobbyist. So use Google search(you probably found this site using it), and keep studying, and maybe someday you'll find your dream and reach your goal.

init4fun 01-06-2021 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by cargoplane (Post 12655329)
Hello guys!!!
I looking for advice regarding components and wing parameters for a fixed-wing cargo plane that is capable to lift 13-22 lbs (6-10 kg) payload and fly with it 24 mi (40 km) to the drop point and return back home.

What components should I use to achieve my goals?

Thanks in advance!

Of course , the biggest problem with your question is the all important detail left out , , , , , the intent .

Yes , I realize this could be a purely innocent desire , or , for all we know , you could have dreams of delivering 13-22 lbs of C-4 to your local politician's house that you hate , and since your brand new here it's not like you have any past reputation to base an opinion on as to whether you should be helped or not .

cargoplane 01-07-2021 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by DGrant (Post 12655343)
Your best component is study. What you're proposing is an extreme stretch for even very experienced people, and most likely would only be accomplished with a "team" rather then any individual.

Also what you're proposing isn't anywhere in the "general hobby" area... but more like very advanced in many aspects. I'm guessing by your question here in the "beginners" forum that you've never flown any RC planes at all... and don't have a grasp on what's available to the mainstream hobbyist and what other advanced resources might be needed for what you're asking.

If you've never flown an RC plane, the first thing would be get a trainer plane, an instructor, and go about learning to fly, and getting a foot hold on that, and see for yourself what kind of challenges even the simplest plane holds when flying LOS(line of sight)... and therein you'll gain insight on what might be needed to fly long range, out of sight. That's a whole different game I'm sure... but before that would even occur just learning to fly and studying it would be your best component to your whole scenario... walk before you run.. or even find out if you can walk(in this case fly).

These types of posts come up frequently, with the original posters having extravagant extreme ideas of carrying payloads long distance, or some other dream they might have that they somehow think the items needed to achieve these goals is simply a list, and order it up. The fact is there's thousands of possibilities out there, and way more then can be put into on thread here on RCU... and much of it is already written if you search it out.. but what you're asking is usually far beyond any general hobbyist, and there's no "list of components' until you make your own... and learn to fly and trust your own instincts. Flying RC is easily learned by many people. Long range flying, carrying payload, return to base, etc.. is way far beyond general hobbyist. So use Google search(you probably found this site using it), and keep studying, and maybe someday you'll find your dream and reach your goal.

Where can I get them?

init4fun 01-07-2021 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by cargoplane (Post 12655465)
Where can I get them?

To fly any unmanned aircraft beyond your in person visual line of sight legally , you must first be an FAA certified "Part 107 Operator" . Without that FAA certification , your flight could earn you a $25,000 fine and some jail time . That's why DGrant suggested you do more research VS simply asking for a list of parts . Yes indeed , part 107 means you've gotta file an actual flight plan with the FAA and get it approved before the flight , and as such your WELL beyond the "Hobbyist" (the focus of this website) realm .

I can't help but notice that you skipped right over my earlier post , so I'll have to conclude you ARE looking to do something illegal here ? Drop some drugs over the prison wall perhaps ? I highly doubt your gonna find much help here ......

DGrant 01-07-2021 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by cargoplane (Post 12655465)
Where can I get them?

Google. Anything you want, just ask Google.

Your question was vague and it's hard to discern what you mean, when you ask "Where can I get "them"".... what is "them"? LOL

You're on a very large message-board/website forum. You need to study and read. Any/all answers to your questions are in this site, and others.... already written. I'm not about to rewrite it because someone can't take the time to study it.

I wrote before, and I'll write it one more time, get to a local club and learn to fly. Go spend some money on a trainer plane from TowerHobbies, or HorizonHobbies, or EBay for all I care.. Learn to fly a simple model, then you can decide if you have any ability to take on what you're dreaming... or if its even possible. I don't want to say it's not possible, but the odds are very very slim it's possible for most people, even with extensive experience.

Many people have alot of trouble even flying the simplest models... and some just never get it... so go find out if you can even learn to fly a simple electric plane. Until you do that you're wasting your time... but that's up to you.

It would help to know where you're at... as we have resources to guide people to local clubs.

I'm still curious about the intent here too... as far fetched and impossible as it is.

jester_s1 01-09-2021 09:27 AM

The short answer is nowhere.
There is no place you can buy off the shelf components to do what you're talking about doing. You can buy a commercial drone where the engineering has been done for you that will do what you want. Then you can get the license to fly it and hope to recoup your investment from clients that you fly for.

Pylonracr 01-12-2021 08:59 PM

I'm kind of going to roll with the majority here, What exactly do you need an airframe for that is capable of carrying 20 pounds 24 miles, dropping it, and flying back? Yes, it is possible. I for one, will refrain from offering any assistance until I am satisfied that the intent is innocent.

Scott