RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   "Funk" on the Muffler eewwwwwww (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/2857885-%22funk%22-muffler-eewwwwwww.html)

caseyh46 04-08-2005 07:03 PM

"Funk" on the Muffler eewwwwwww

I recently came across a Magnum .91 Four Stroke.. it's used but in good shape.. I cleaned it good and fired it up this evening.. (put it on my Miss America, can't wait to see how it flies) seems to run good but a little loud to tune at home so I"ll have to wait until I"m at the field. Anyway... there's this dark red almost black FUNK all over the muffler and head pipe... this stuff is THICK.. I dremeled away for what seemed like forever and it WILL NOT come off... this stuff is unbelieveable.. what is it? just old fuel? is there any way to get it off so the muffler will be shiny again?

Casey

rclement 04-08-2005 07:12 PM

RE: "Funk" on the Muffler eewwwwwww

Casey, If it's old, burnt fuel, you can remove it by boiling it in antifreeze. You'll need to get an old pot to do it in and need to do it outside on a camp stove or some type of burner. Boil it in the antifreeze for a bit and brush it off. ;)

delman 04-08-2005 09:26 PM

When I use the antifreeze/crockpot method you use the green stuff and put it on low if there is more than one setting. Do it at least overnight - keep away from pets in a well ventilated area - label the pot poisonous for future use.

caseyh46 04-09-2005 12:42 AM

hmmm... it sure sounds difficult to get rid of this stuff... I'm not sure I want to ruin the wife's crockpot.. there'd be heck to pay for sure...

BarracudaHockey 04-09-2005 06:53 AM

It will come out looking good as new with the crock pot on low over night.

I picked up a used one at a garage sale for less than 5 bucks.

rclement 04-09-2005 08:22 AM

Crock pot? Now that sounds like a better idea than the camp stove method. First time I did it I used the barbecue since I didn't have a camp stove. I like the idea of using a crock pot though.:)

CCRC1 04-09-2005 10:41 AM

Also you do not need to "boil" it. Find a cheap crock pot, put it on the low setting overnight. Any real stubborn stuff can be helped along with an old toothbrush. I have cleaned many engines this way and it works great. If you boil the anti freeze, the high temperature tends discolor some types of aluminum and turn it dark. Use the low setting and the parts will come out looking like brand new.

caseyh46 04-09-2005 11:32 AM

so you can do the whole engine in this method? just remove the seals etc... and toss it in?

CCRC1 04-09-2005 02:05 PM

I usually break the engine down if possible. I have a wire mesh basket that I made from a strainer I bought at the Dollar store for the small parts. But, it is not necessary. I have used the crock pot to clean and restore engines that have been sitting for years that are frozen in castor, and sometimes corrosion. I will take off the backplate, head and carb and drop it all in. I usually just remove old gaskets and make new ones.
Once the engine is clean and all the old burnt castor is gone, I will pull the parts and let them cool down. Then they get a good flushing with clean water and dried with compressed air. Then I immediately drop then in a container of synthetic ATF fluid. The parts are removed after a short time, wiped down and reassembled.