RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Beginner's Question For You Guys (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/2891158-beginners-question-you-guys.html)

Kyonic 04-19-2005 09:00 AM

Beginner's Question For You Guys

Hello My name is Kyle and I am a instrument rated pilot and I want to get into RC Airplanes. I was looking at an electric model the Hobbico SuperStar EP Select RTF w/Ailerons. So this brings me to my first question I guess electric or gas? The gas model that I have been looking at is the Hobbico NexSTAR 46 Select. I that with electric that I am going to limited to the amount of flying time that I can do on the field. Something that I thought would be good about the electric is the fact that wont the maintenace costs be lower I mean how often to you have to replace gas parts? I guess Ill just leave it at that If you could give me some pointers.

FLYBOY 04-19-2005 09:29 AM

RE: Beginner's Question For You Guys

You won't find that gas is more expensive than electric as fas as parts go. Actually, you will replace motor parts on electric long before gas (glow). You have the cost of fuel, but that isn't bad. The electrics are getting better now days so the flight times are pretty close. There are some cool electric planes out. I just got one that is way fun in the park behind the house.

At this point in time, there really isn't an advantage to either glow or electric, so get which ever you want. Just make sure it is a good plane and not a cheap plastic one or you will get bored with it fairly quickly. There are more choices in glow planes, but electrics are catching up pretty fast and you can modify glow for electric in many cases too.

Have a ball. Its a great hobby.

ICCARUS 04-19-2005 09:38 AM

Hi I also amfairly new to flying I started elec. aerobird ready to fly. bought a elec. set up hitec laser 4 instaled it in my modified aero bird. the first elec plane was good for me to learn on, slower would do less damage when crashing. I startyed flying nitro sturdy birdi 2, very strong plane. besides crashing wich with either setup will cost you money the nitro dosent seem to be high maint. you have your start up exp. but tou have that either way I like nitro [power] convient gas and go. I seems like these eng are user frindly for the most part. fuel roughly 20.00 a gal. for the moment it seems like thier are more nitro options out their . I curently tradeing off my elec stuff for nitro stuff. either way you go if you decide to change tradeing into the transition is reasonable.

rctrax 04-19-2005 09:45 AM

First of all I should say that I am a glow flyer. having said that I tend to think that there is much more potential for diversified performance with glow[or gas]. while electrics have thier advantages,such as bieng cleaner, quieter, and less bother to operate[ just turn it on and fly]. I don't think they are any cheaper or nessarily any lighter. By the time you get very far into the technoligy the cost rises quickly. Glow [or gas] power can begin where electrics leaves off and go no up from there, and the sky is the limit. Mid size glow[.40 to .60] are the best place IMO to start. The Nexstar and superstar are good choices and there are many others out there.
Try to go one size up from recomended engine size as in .45-46 instead of .40 etc.
I might coment that being a full scale pilot does not make you any more able to fly RC as your position is on the ground looking up at it instead of being in it and feeling what is going on. I was a full scale pilot and had to learn all over again too.

bruce88123 04-19-2005 10:26 AM

The thing all of the people above have failed to tell you is to visit a local club and observe for a day. THEN start to form opinions. Your local hobby shop LHS can give you club information or you can go to our national organization, the AMA. Their website is: www.modelaircraft.org from there you would select the Charter Club Locator service and input appropriate info for a list. While your city may not have a listing, check a larger city in your area. There will also be non-AMA clubs in your area most likely.
Just like with full size planes, you will want a qualified instructor on what is called a "buddy box" to maximize your learning curve. It can be done without either, but the costs will be higher in time and money.
PS I personally prefer glow powered aircraft but that is an opinion.

FighterBird873 04-19-2005 10:38 AM

Electric is a hell of a lot cleaner. You don't have to go out side to test run motors. You won't leave dead spots on your wifes lawn from the exhaust. You don't have to tune an electric motor with your knuckles only fractions of an inch from the prop. I've had a lot of success with the Hobby Zone Fighterbird. A friend of mine with ZERO experience with any RC aircraft, got a fighterbird in the air his first time.

MinnFlyer 04-19-2005 11:10 AM

I'll ditto what bruce said - Visit your local club and see what blows your skirt up

BTW just to help you understand some of our terminology:

What you referred to as "gas" we call "Glow" as the engines use a glow plug

"Gas" powered planes are much larger and use engines about the size of a chain saw engine, which burn gasoline, and the planes are much larger and more powerful (See the giant scale forum)

Fastsky 04-19-2005 12:59 PM

Some comparisons. Glow powered planes have more power than E powered planes unless you get into seriously priced motors that use large battery packs. This means that the planes are larger which is easier to see and can handle flying in moderate winds. They are made of balsa and lite plywood. E powered planes (electric powered) are usually light and made of foam. This makes them very fragile and have been known to get blown away when the winds come up. A standard days flying usually consists of six 10 minute flights. On a glow powered plane, you refuel between flights. Electric powered planes won't usually won't get you more than 6-8 minutes flight time. then you either have to recharge the battery pack, or replace it with another fully charged pack. You either need 6 packs for a days flying or bring a charger to the field and wait 40 minutes to an hour for the battery pack to recharge. If you bring 6 battery packs to the field, you will then need to recharge all your packs before going to the field again. In short, you better have a good charger and some kind of system to keep track of your batterys. For these reasons I think glow power is an easier way to start unless you don't mind getting 1 flight in and then go home. [8D]

bruce88123 04-19-2005 01:19 PM

With reference to Fastsky's last post, the batteries he mentioned are also usually fairly expensive and can be hazardous in themselves if handled improperly.
As stated before, there are goods and bads about both types. I personally believe you would be happier with a glow engine powered plane than an electric.

Also, despite all the adds you will see to the contrary, this is a difficult hobby to teach yourself. Remember they(the mfg's) are trying to sell you planes and will tell you almost anything to do so(unfortunately). There are NO planes out there that will fly themselves. The Nexstar is a nice plane, but all the gadgets do not prevent crashes. They may reduce them or make the plane easier to fly(opinion of some and not others) but will not prevent them. Your BEST chance is with an instructor and I have no financial gain in telling you any of this

FighterBird873 04-19-2005 03:44 PM

Hobby Zone Firebird Commander = $110
Big Empty Field = $0

For less then the price of a radio, you can figure out if you want more out of the hobby. I'd call it a down payment. You'll wind up spending gobs more cash later.

Kit or ARF $80
Radio $125
Engine $75
Support Equipment $80

Total = $360

Oh wait, add in another $200 a year for club dues and AMA membership.

Pilot Chad 04-19-2005 04:40 PM

Fighterbird, Your prices are a BIT off to say the LEAST:

Let me revise

Kit or ARF 80 as said and below
Engine 70 and below
Radio I would say 125 and below, but i would go ahead and bump up to a 6 channel at least so 180 if you bump up
Field stuff 60
AMA and field membership= 100
I don't have a field memebership yet. I do have ama on its way. I am 14 so it only cost me a buck but, You don't need a field. What i did was found someone on here who was local to me and met up and he trained me. Save me a LOT of $. If i were you, i would go glow. It is all around better in my opinion.

FLYBOY 04-19-2005 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: FighterBird873

Hobby Zone Firebird Commander = $110
Big Empty Field = $0

For less then the price of a radio, you can figure out if you want more out of the hobby. I'd call it a down payment. You'll wind up spending gobs more cash later.

Kit or ARF $80
Radio $125
Engine $75
Support Equipment $80

Total = $360

Oh wait, add in another $200 a year for club dues and AMA membership.
How bout comparing apples to apples instead of toys to RC planes. The commander is a fly around for a short time, get bored and throw it away planel. kits with engines and radios are useable for a long time, and have a good re-sale value if they are taken care of. There is a huge difference to what each can do in the air and where it can do it. If you want to fly in your yard or a small park and just have something to get in the air, get something like a commander. If you want to get into RC to stay in RC and build and fly planes that will do aerobatics, 3D and stuff like that, get a good trainer and learn to fly it using good equipt and engines.

I am not trying to slam the little electrics here. They really are not even close to the same thing. Ones a toy, the other is a hobby.

zachj1212 04-19-2005 06:09 PM

i started with the aerobird. It can be considered a toy. I would recomend NOT starting with RTF, but ARF. I fly electric, and i think that they are better becasse they are lower maintnece, and no gas prices. Just plug in the battery and fly!

FighterBird873 04-19-2005 08:55 PM

Oh please, these are all toys. They are play things. Physical objects meant to amuse.

Are we gonna argue pennies here? Are we all accountants?

Some people may prefer to start small, and work their way up. Some don't.

forestroke 04-19-2005 10:30 PM

this is the age old debate of electric vs. glow. i think you can search this topic till the cows come home. first, both rarely need to replace parts as long as you take good care of them and don't crash (easier than it sounds!)

in short

electric - better than glow in so many areas as people said. clean, low running costs (provided no crashing... lipo's are expensive), quiet and never a dead engine(ish), and no field equipment (lower starting costs for lower than 2lb plane)

glow - noisy (which i like), powerful (down to the last drop), and for planes bigger than say 2lbs, glow is cheaper upfront.

i've done electric but i'm back to glow... would go gas if my dang car is bigger. as minnflyer said, go to the field and see what you like. glow is my passion.

bruce88123 04-20-2005 07:15 AM

FighterBird873- you can call anytime. I'll be happy to help you with your obvious reality problems. My number is 1-800-WAAHHHHH. Please have a great day.

FighterBird873 04-20-2005 08:22 AM

Shouldn't you be at an AMA meeting? Or is it just AA these days?

Deadeye 04-20-2005 09:38 AM

Ohhh, this is getting good! *Grabs popcorn*

Crashem 04-20-2005 10:00 AM

Fighterbird837,

What planes besides the fighterbird have you flown? Normally one needs to have exprerience in each type in order to make an informed comparision;)

As one who has flown all three types Glow Electrics (GWS Tigermoth /Zero) and Fighterbird/Aerobirds I think flyboy hit the nail on the head you are not providing an equal comparision

FLYBOY 04-20-2005 10:08 AM

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

FighterBird873- you can call anytime. I'll be happy to help you with your obvious reality problems. My number is 1-800-WAAHHHHH. Please have a great day.

ROFLMAO

Thanks for the laugh. I needed that this morning. :)

FighterBird873 04-20-2005 10:20 AM

Children, children. You too Bruce Almighty.

There is a world out there, that the AMA and your club doesn't control. It is called reality. Do not fear the unknown.

Its ok Bruce, sobriety is not that hard once you get used to it. Maybe your friends just like you better detached from reality. Maybe your home life is so rotten that you have to hide at the club.

Its ok to be upset that GW won the election, but you don't have to be so mean. Just move to Canada or something.

FighterBird873 04-20-2005 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Crashem

Fighterbird837,

What planes besides the fighterbird have you flown? Normally one needs to have exprerience in each type in order to make an informed comparision
You know damn well what my flight experience is, dummy. Do I have to be an RC god to answer a simple question? Go bother someone else. The guy wanted to know where to start. I have started, so therefore I can answer the question. Did your boyfriend Bruce tell you post here? Now begone, before someone drops a house on you.

FLYBOY 04-20-2005 10:54 AM

Fighterbird, You made your point. Don't get childish. Everyone here is just giving their opinions. If they don't match yours, don't worry about it. Its just another option for Kyle to look at. There is no right answer to the question. Don't take it personal when someone doesnt' agree with you. Its not an attack on you. You have experience on one plane. Some of us have a little more than that and are not going to get in a pissin match about different planes with someone who has flown few. Your not wrong! You gave your opinion based on your experience. I gave mine based on having flown more than 300 different types of planes, and everyone else has given theirs based on what ever experience they have.

Don't take it personally! Its not an attack! :eek:

Pilot Chad 04-20-2005 10:56 AM

Hey, I would like to rent someones planes even though i got my own. Would someone let me? ROFLMAO:)

MinnFlyer 04-20-2005 10:59 AM

Ok kids, I deleted a few posts here because they have no place at RCU.

Let's keep it civil now before people get in trouble.

Remember:

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks.

We mean it