RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Trainer or Mustang? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/2922466-trainer-mustang.html)

combatpigg 04-29-2005 05:09 PM

RE: Trainer or Mustang?

FH, you can't beat the price and in the hands of a competent instructor, he can get it trimmed to be a fairly docile plane. I would make this plane a good choice for plane #3, but in the right hands, you will learn how to fly it. Planes like these are built to "crash well" and that is opposite to my philosophy about the best type of trainer to have, but like I said, you can't argue with the price, and don't be afraid to keep the speed up a little bit before the wheels hit pay dirt.

FLYBOY 04-29-2005 05:15 PM

If that radio has been sitting for long time, cycle the batteries. It may well take a charge, but could fail under a load. Cycle them a few times and make sure they are ok. It will be a good bird with some help.

As for the engine, I would fill it with marvel mysery oil and get it lubed up good. Marvel will work all the old gummed up stuff out of it. Once it is free, fuel it and start it. I have taken engines gummed so bad they wouldn't move and done this and it has always worked well.

Good luck with it. have a ball.

martno1fan 04-30-2005 04:15 AM

steady on mate look at the replys i got for suggesting one of those darned toy planes lol:D
but i couldnt agree more with what you say !!!,in fact i think i was the 1st to suggest exactly what you have!!.

martno1fan 04-30-2005 04:30 AM

hi i say go for a foamy 1st!!,ok guys i know i said i wouldnt give my opinion on here again but i cant resist!!.take a look at the gws planes the e starter is a great little plane from what ive seen and heard.[link]http://www.gws-online.com/home.php[/link]plus i think they may be cheaper than parkzone!!,and gws do some great warbirds for later on !!.good look .

Firehawk153 04-30-2005 10:40 AM

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

I have an idea,

First of all by what I am suggesting here I am not condoning learning to fly on your own with a glow plane, but there are certain instances where getting help is just not feasible. So why don't we come up with something to help these people out. It's better than squabbling about it. Piper-chuck and I have already created checklists and Volkan has a great beginners guide

These checklists are great, and I can say that after reading those checklists, I understand a lot better at the pace at which R/C learning takes place. I never realized it was composed of many, very small tasks that need to be mastered before moving onto the next step. I think that helps put me into the right frame of mind with my first ventures into R/C flying.

Firehawk

bubbagates 04-30-2005 01:01 PM

Firehawk,

I thought we lost ya there for a little while.

I have already gotten slammed [:@] via PM's for wanting to do something like this but I have seen instances where training just was not available and to help the few that do run into this problem I figured it was worth the effort to help them.

That way they have something to go on and it may just help them be safe in the process.

As I mentioned before, I do not condone learning on your own and having someone experienced to help is definitely the way to go in my eyes, but I am open minded enough to also know that it's not always possible. These lists will be mainly geared towards that situation, but there will always be someone that just will not get instruction when it is available for whatever reason.

As I mentioned before, please keep us updated on your progress...

combatpigg 04-30-2005 01:30 PM

Hi MARTNO1, I have run into many who have the mentality that there is only one correct way to do anything. The same people usually have the mind set that unless you learn the same way that I DID, your way is inferior, or it just wont work. I've seen too many guys give up on the hobby because they were force fed the so called right way. Seen too many .40 sized trainers brought home in a garbage bag. With one of these small electrics, they don't develope enough inertia to do that much damage to themselves, and they don't represent much invested, so the guy learning can relax and have an enjoyable time getting to that magic moment when he realizes that he can really do it. There is always time to ease into the bigger, more powerful and expensive stuff later, but I would rather have a student who can fly a small electric, than some guy who doesn't have a clue yet.

martno1fan 04-30-2005 05:43 PM

hey combat!!
well at least your willing to give advice mate unlike some!!!,i cant wait to see if you get the same slating i got for suggesting a cheap foamy!!!.but theyll probably save it for the pm lol!!!.im new to the hobby really as ive said b4 i started with a 3 channel firebird and have just flown my new trainer 46 la engine in it a cpl of times with no tutor!!!.
it does get up my nose seeing these guys telling guys YOU WILL CRASH IN SECONDS WITHOUT HELP!!!!.given the chance id have gone for a foamy b4 the tutor 40 but i got a great deal on ebay and thought it too good to miss.well i did it and i know im not an expert but who better to tell a fellow newbie it CAN be done!!!.while im new to flying im not new to building as ive built models all my childhood and loads of rubber powered stuff too.so balsa wood is in my blood so i dont have a problem repairing stuff.im allready looking at my next kit to build for my next plane!!!.but ill wait to fly it till im confident in my abbility 1st.i dont need anyone else telling me when that is ill know when im ready.i managed to solo 1st time with help from a cpl of good guys on here who gave me encouragement and advice ,not the usuall dont even try it or you will crash bull!!!.
cheers for the encouragement its good to know theres people out there who are willing to help and encourage instead of critisise!!!i know im gonna get slated again for saying this but who cares!!.i see firewalk was looking at a certain foamy which i dont think is from a good company!!! hed be better off with gws but none of these lot seem to have picked up on this yet!!!.hed be much better asking this question in the electric forum if hes looking for a good foamy!!!.but who am i to say lol;)
all the best mart!!!

mailman13 05-01-2005 09:24 AM

Q: How do you eat an elephant?
A: One small mouthfull at a time.

If you go for a glow powered 60" plane than of course you're gonna crash it before you learn anything. Get a faster flying parkflier like a GWS Formosa or something else that goes in the exact direction its pointed and can be repaired when it breaks. It's dirt cheap and it will keep you on your toes and provide loads of fun and practice.

I learned to fly on my own on GWS planes (E-Starter -> Formosa -> Low winged .30 size trainer) and have never had an instructor but it takes some time. Of course it can be done, just take small steps and don't try something dangerous like a .46 size too soon.

combatpigg 05-01-2005 10:08 AM

MART, did you already have a good understanding of what makes a plane fly [stall] and crash before getting started? I'll bet you did. Ask a student not what they know about what makes a plane fly, but ask them more about what makes a plane crash. I think your ability to be self taught on the FIREBIRD is pretty typical from what I've heard from the local shop owner. Now if a young guy can back that up with similator time, all the better. I sure would like to find a RC similator that could be plugged into a video game set, instead of one of those stand alone systems for $200. Maybe even the newest video game systems don't have the capacity?

martno1fan 05-01-2005 10:36 AM

exactly what i said in my 1st post mate but look at the reaction i got?.good to see someone agrees with me lol!!!.

martno1fan 05-01-2005 10:43 AM

i guess your right mate i do have a good understanding of what makes a plane fly or crash lol!!!!.maybe its in my blood as my cousin happens to be a pilot over in the states haha!!!,but serriously ive read up and studied loads of info till it comes out my ears lol!!!.plus ive got loads of time in on fms .im still learning but so far so good.

sawdust1958 05-01-2005 11:07 AM

in the begining all of us first learned to crawl,then walk,then run.this is a natural order.when starting into anything,good common sense helps tremendosly.start small,and work up.having a fellow pilot help is great but not allways feasable.besides its after you learn the basics and are solo the real learning begins.confidence in yourself,the knowledge you WILL crash sometime,and the knowledge that things can be repaired all help.patience,practice,practice practice.