RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Futaba EXA Problem (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/3208247-futaba-exa-problem.html)

DJJ 07-28-2005 10:02 AM

Futaba EXA Problem

Good morning. I have a Futaba EXA. Last night I was working on my plane and went to turn on my EXA to check the servos. The throttle stick on the transmitter has somehow "binded up". It is very stiff and requires force to move. If you move the throttle up and let go of it, it springs back down to idle. At first I thought it was the throttle linkages within the plane so I checked that. I turned the radio and plane off and the stick is still stiff. I switched to another radio and everything works properly. Right now the EXA is partially disassembled and I'm hoping to find that a wire or something is wedged in where it shouldn't be causing this problem.

Has anyone else experienced this and what was done to resolve it ?

Thank you, DJJ [:o]

bruce88123 07-28-2005 10:27 AM

RE: Futaba EXA Problem

If you are saying the stick in the transmitter itself is springing back then the airplane and it's radios/linkages can have nothing to do with it. (assuming it isn't laying on the transmitter :D)
There should be no springs involved with the throttle gimbal in the transmitter but it is possible something broke off or fell in there and is binding the gimbal (stick). Do all of the others controls function correctly? If not a piece of one of them may have popped loose and fallen into the mess. Give the unit a careful inspection to look for something that doesn't belong there and maybe turn it upside down and shake gently while moving this stick carefully. You may get lucky and have it fall out.

Bax 07-28-2005 11:36 AM

Sometimes one of the pivot pins in the gimbal assembly can come out and affect how the stick moves. Sounds like that's what's happened in this case. That's normally covered by warranty for new units if it happens.

DJJ 07-28-2005 11:45 AM

Thanks guys for the input. Yes, all other controls function correctly - just the throttle is having issues. When I move it, it does feel like something is not "in-line" and causing the top and bottom peices of the gimbal assembly to flex when they shouldn't. I picked up the transmitter from another member on this site. Unfortunately, I do not know if its still in warranty or not.

Thank you - DJJ

bruce88123 07-28-2005 11:56 AM

Send BAX (futaba rep) a pm and see what he recommends. Sending in for repair should not be too expensive. A pain in the butt, maybe necessary though.

This would also give them a chance to check it over and maybe save you a plane. Very cheap insurance.

dixielandsbigal 07-28-2005 01:19 PM

same thing happened to mine...quick turn around on warranty!....the gimble was caught and would go above 1/3 throttle. good thing it happened when flying indoors this last winter! dont want to go a week or so without my transmitter in the summer!

winger1955 07-28-2005 02:24 PM

Same thing is happening to mine. There is a small pin inside the radio that slips out and creates this problem. I have repositioned the pin three times now and everything works fine afterward but I am now considering sending the radio to Futaba or just replace the radio.

ckangaroo70 07-28-2005 08:52 PM

I would just send it in to Hobby Services whether it is under warranty or not. If it is not under warranty they are still very reasonable, and will notify you if the Radio will cost more to fix then what it is worth. They are also pretty quick to get your stuff repaired and right back to you. If the radio was bought used, it would be a good idea to have them check it all out anyhow.

NJAIRSTRIKE 07-29-2005 12:16 AM

i sent mine to hobby services post office 2 to 3 day delivery, Sent it wenesday they got it Friday.. They fixed my Sticks, Battery Cover, Antenna for free cause i had a warrenty, and sent out thursday.. Got it saturday morning. Excellent service cant say enough....