RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   new to flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/4768125-new-flying.html)

eaglesfn68 09-19-2006 03:48 PM

new to flying

ok so im new and want a plane. i was thinking about either 3d/4d flying or a foam plane. whats the differnce. pros and cons, and price differnce.

suggestion would be good also. my price is around 320-380

jetmech05 09-19-2006 03:57 PM

RE: new to flying

I hate to break the news to ya but your not ready for 3d flying if you are brand new. i highly recommend that you get a gas trainer ,4 channel, find an instructor and learn to fly. we must learn to walk before we can run.
dont get discouraged this is a great hobby. Good luck

RCKen 09-19-2006 04:02 PM

I've got to agree with Jetmech05. You've got to walk before you run, and you've got to crawl before you walk. No matter how much you want to, you're not going to be starting 3D flying until at least your 3rd plane. That's just the steps that you need to take. Trainer, intermediate trainer/2nd plane, and then MAYBE your first 3D plane. As far as the first and second plane, I've compiled a list of good planes for those. You can find that list here: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm]Looking for a trainer, what's available. (Updated 8-14-06)[/link] .

Hope this helps

Ken

AirforceRcks 09-19-2006 04:06 PM

i agree with RC ken.
he has given me much advice on my purchase of the Hobbico Superstar RTF.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXEKF4**&P=0

SoonerAce 09-19-2006 05:43 PM

I concur with the group. Basically because we've been there done that and watched a whole lot of people come in at a higher degree of aggressivness, turn thier plane to confetti then hop out of the hobby. Relax, a 2stroke glow 40 size high wing trainer will get you into the air and let you get used to the phenomenon of RC flight. Then take it up a notch, low wing trainer, Midwing and then go acrobatic. For that matter, Helis or Jets are other natural progressions.

ho2zoo 09-20-2006 01:40 AM

Yes, you do need to start with a basic trainer.

But perhaps someone can enlighten me...

What's 4d flying? :D

parrthd 09-20-2006 02:31 AM

that's all the "stuff" you can do by adding winglets or sife force generators. i don't/haven't got to that point yet. you can also check out the 3d/4d forum

dutchalltheway 09-20-2006 03:01 AM

Needless to say....the guys are right!!:) You got to start with a trainer plane. I myself am still a rookie, and recently got my 2nd plane. I started with a Nexstar as a trainer....actually....my 1st trainer was, and still is...the Aero Fly Pro Deluxe Flight Simulator. Putting many hours on this simulator made it a breeze to learn how to fly me Nexstar, my 1st glow trainer. I was solo in a few hours of buddy-box training with an Instructor. Now I am flying my Twist..with a lot of fun!!;)But start gradually.....don't get discouraged..I am only flying for 6 months..and only on weekends! Training goes fast!:) Get yourself a good trainer or start on the simulator...and grow from there!!Welcome to the hobby...hope to hear a lot from you and feel free to PM me anytime you have questions. I'm sure that goes for the other guys too. You will find that these are the most friendly and helpfull people in the hobby are.:DIf it wouldn't be for the guys here, the hobby would not be half the fun!!:D

Mr67Stang 09-20-2006 03:05 AM

ORIGINAL: ho2zoo

Yes, you do need to start with a basic trainer.

But perhaps someone can enlighten me...

What's 4d flying? :D

The electric guys will tell you that 4D is 3D with a VPP (Variable pitch prop) so thay can actually reverse thrust and hover pointing straight down for a second or two. It also makes for some other mind blowing manaouvers.

MikeEast 09-20-2006 03:26 AM

These guys are right eaglesfn68, you need to start out with a trainer of some sort and get with an instructor. It sucks to have to wait if you are really wanting to fly aerobatics, but it is honestly essential to start with the basics and get grounded in the fundamentals to ensure your success. The planes you are wanting are definitely a lot of fun, but it will take time to get to the point that you are ready for it. People who have experience can make flying 3D/4D planes look deceptively easy. They are easy to fly ONCE YOU HAVE MASTERED basic flying, but actually hovering and flying in high alpha takes a lot of hard work and TIME. Whether you need to wait until your 2nd, 3rd or 4th planes depends on your skill and age frankly. Some guys can easily move from a trainer right into a basic 3D plane like a profile or a U Can Do as a second plane. Some need to make a gradual transition. The trick is to be honest with yourself and do not bite off more than you are absolutely certain you can handle. I would say you need to get that trainer, let an instructor teach you how to fly it correctly, and then fly the crap out of it. Fly it until you can unmercifully wring it out and perform the basic aerobatic maneuvers with total control and you have gotten to the point that you can get out of any situation without thinking about it.

Learning to fly the trainer proficiently should keep you busy for 3-6 months if you are flying at least a couple of days a week and you have good hand eye coordination and depth perception, if not it could take longer.

Once you get to that point, you should be able to make your own decision as to what you can handle.

Melkus 09-20-2006 03:54 AM

Yep everthing these guys said is right. One thing buy a kit and build it your self. I feel everone getting to this hobby should at lest build one plane so as to have a understanding as to how it is made and the parts that make up the plane it self. There many good and easy kits out there like the Sig's LT-40 which was my frist plane very fun and easy kit to build also a great trainer.

Raad 09-20-2006 01:54 PM

al salam alaikum

hello all .. i am back and i did not buy my plane yet ! i have a question ... is the begin air from park flyer a good beginner airplane ? i hope i am not cutting in .. i did not want to start another forum .. thank you

Raad

highlinebag 09-22-2006 03:40 AM

im new to flying my first plane arived yesterday its just a trainer but i am quite good at flying.:D

Melkus 09-22-2006 04:06 AM

Radd the BeginAir is a good package value but it's not meant for a beginning pilot. There alot better planes out there to start out with. Here a link anyways to the BeginAir.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=443