RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   kaos 40 Opinion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/5205435-kaos-40-opinion.html)

chopper man 01-03-2007 08:07 PM

kaos 40 Opinion

Please tell me your opinion about the Tower Hobbies Kaos 40 as a second plane.
Thanks
chopper man

FLYBOY 01-03-2007 08:16 PM

RE: kaos 40 Opinion

That was my second plane, long before it was a tower kit and long before it was an ARF. I liked it.

RCKen 01-03-2007 09:31 PM

This will make a great second plane. A Kaos is a great flying plane, but is still forgiving for new pilots. It will slow down to a crawl to land, yet it can unwind and do some eye-popping aerobatics when you want it too. You'll love this plane. Good choice here.

Hope this helps

Ken

bruce88123 01-03-2007 10:14 PM

I had one of those. Good plane. Keep the throws down for a few flights and maybe buddy box for a flight or 2. Point and fly plane that can be flown fast or slow.:)
Just show it a little respect at first and you should be fine.

bigedmustafa 01-04-2007 01:19 AM

The Kaos is a truly classic airframe. The Tower Hobbies Kaos .40 ARF has a 4-star rating here on RC Universe in the user reviews section. Like the Stik, the Kaos offers great flight characteristics and a really wide performance envelope. Enjoy!

KidVermin 01-04-2007 01:45 AM

If a plane style that stays in production for 40+ years, something must be going right. I had the 60 size which was only 4" longer in wing span. Earlier replies said it was stable and as in mine, you'll find it will fly on rails in windy conditions when other planes get bounced around if put in the air at all. Landings are so predictable with a stable sink rate where my other planes would balloon at times on approach.

chopper man 01-04-2007 09:23 AM

Thanks for your opinions. I might just go ahead and spend that X-mas money:D If my wife finds out that I have it, I can say good-bye to it[:o]
chopper man

Ugo Ferrari 01-04-2007 09:39 AM

Hey ChopperMan , You must be a Newly Wed ! Ain't you learned yet how to hide money from the wife to support this Habit ??LOL !
Ugo

D-LOCO 01-04-2007 09:44 AM

I assembled a TH Kaos last month. I'm really anxious to maiden it but we still have about 12" of snow on the ground here.

I have high hopes for it though, based on comments I've read here on RCU.

It looks like it'll fly well and it was not expensive - $109 plus $60 for a GMS engine (and I got free shipping & $15 off!).

Also, it'll fit in the back of my truck with the wings on; something my 4*60 won't do.

I'm hopefull I'll like the Kaos as much or more than the 4*.

Dave

chopper man 01-04-2007 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Ugo Ferrari

Hey ChopperMan , You must be a Newly Wed ! Ain't you learned yet how to hide money from the wife to support this Habit ??LOL !
Ugo
13 years and she has found all of my good spots.[>:] It's in the DNA. I don't know how they do it. It's that liitle 6 year old girl thats hard to say no too. I just keep telling myself that it's mine, mine, mine!!!!
chopper man

Ugo Ferrari 01-04-2007 10:11 AM

52 years here, Chopper ! LOL ! It'll take a few years but you'll learn to outsmart her ! Hang in there buddy !

Ugo

chopper man 01-04-2007 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: D-LOCO

I assembled a TH Kaos last month. I'm really anxious to maiden it but we still have about 12" of snow on the ground here.

I have high hopes for it though, based on comments I've read here on RCU.

It looks like it'll fly well and it was not expensive - $109 plus $60 for a GMS engine (and I got free shipping & $15 off!).

Also, it'll fit in the back of my truck with the wings on; something my 4*60 won't do.

I'm hopefull I'll like the Kaos as much or more than the 4*.

Dave
D-LOCO
Did you have a coupon for your engine? Tower has that engine for $69.99. If you did would you pass on the code? Sure would be nice to get it cheaper.
Thanks
chopper man

D-LOCO 01-04-2007 12:07 PM

Chopper Man,

The catalog list this engine for $59.99. Its a GMS 40. Its essentially the same as the 47 but a few bucks less.

I have two other GMS engines (a 76 and a 32) on my 4*60 and LT-25. They've been very good and very powerful.

That's why I thought the 40 would be enough for my Kaos.

The 32 GMS (with a 9x4 APC prop) powers my LT-25 (4.25 lbs) like crazy. Take off rolls very short (even here at 5200 ft). I think the 25 would have been enough.

My Kaos weighs 5 lbs even. It should be fun!

Dave

chopper man 01-04-2007 12:44 PM

I'm thinking of going with the GMS .47. Do you guys think that is a good idea or bad? I have the OS .40LA on my Tower Trainer. Should I just go with the OS for the Kaos?
Thanks
chopper man

bruce88123 01-04-2007 01:02 PM

Oh NO, it deserves something better than a 40LA. Want an OS, go with the 46AX. I know, more money = more power.

Ugo Ferrari 01-04-2007 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chopper... I flew my Kaos originally with the GMS .47. Entirely to much power! I fly it now with the GMS .40. More than enough juice ! Besides, I had to add weight to the ass end of the Kaos to bring in the CG with the .47 and removed it with the .40. Just my 2cents...
Ugo

FLYBOY 01-04-2007 05:36 PM

I would look at the new OS engines if you are going OS. I don't know the number, but I looked at one at a hobby shop the other day, and they have the needle back where it belongs in the carb, not back behind the engine. I wouldn't touch another one of those if it were given to me. The new ones have the needle in the carb, and the housing is canted back away from the prop. I would bet those will be a good engine, unlike any of the FX series I have thrown away, and thats been a few! [:'(] I had a K&B 40 in mine a long time ago and it zipped, so I would say any hot 40 to 46 would run it well. Your choice, you won't be dissapointed in it with any of the strong engines.

D-LOCO 01-04-2007 05:49 PM

I've run a couple or 3 tank fulls of fuel thru my GMS 40 on the Kaos (on the ground) for testing/breakin.

I'm getting plenty of RPM and, at full throttle, its got tons of "pull"

My 32 GMS on the LT-25 takes off like a bat and then I fly it around at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle (unless I want to loop). It also "sips" fuel unlike the GMS 76 on my 4*.

I've gotten the idea that its not a good thing to put too much engine in these planes because, among other reasons, the larger engine at reduced throttle (like 1/4 throttle) doesn't get warmed up enough. I know some here will laugh and maybe they're right but If you can fly around at 1/3 throttle you've got enough engine IMHO.

Of course if you want "unlimited vertical" or hovering then maybe you need more HP.

I'd go with the 40 (or 47 at most).

Dave

bruce88123 01-04-2007 05:51 PM

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXNMD1&P=
The new OS 55AX is the only one I know of that meets FLYBOY's description.

I like it.:)

chopper man 01-04-2007 11:08 PM

I'm just having a hard time buying the GMS 40 when I have an OS 40. It just seems to me that I could use the GMS 47 in other applications down the road. I don't know enough about the engines as far as there operation at lower power setting and the effect, good or bad. My thinking is that more power is better. If you need more power for whatever reason and its not there then you're not going to get it but if you have a bigger engine and your flying at a reduce setting and you need more power than you have it. I would think that is a good thing. Should I go with the GMS .47 or am I making a mistake?
Thanks
chopper man

D-LOCO 01-05-2007 12:41 AM

Chopper man,

The GMS 47 will work fine. Go for it!

Dave

chopper man 01-05-2007 06:52 PM

Well I did it. I've ordered the Tower Hobbies Kaos 40 with a GMS .47 engine. I hope I don't regret it. Couldn't resist the $25 off of a $149 order.;) I guess I should be flying my Tower trainer a little bit more often to get ready.
chopper man

RCKen 01-05-2007 07:12 PM

ORIGINAL: chopper man

Well I did it. I've ordered the Tower Hobbies Kaos 40 with a GMS .47 engine. I hope I don't regret it. Couldn't resist the $25 off of a $149 order.;) I guess I should be flying my Tower trainer a little bit more often to get ready.
chopper man
Chopper man,
After you get this plane and fly it the only regret you will have is that you didn't buy one sooner. The Kaos is what I call a "Lifetime" plane. Once you have flown one you will always have one for the rest of your life!!!! :D:D My lifetime plane is the GP Ultra Sport. The kit is out of production but I have 4 complete 60 size kits, 2 1000 size kits, 2 60 sized short kits cut by a kit cutter, and a set of Ultra Sport planes that I can scratch build from stashed away. I do this to ensure that I can always have an Ultra Sport flying.

Now before you are totally hooked on the Kaos I'll let you know how to satisfy that "addiction" once you're hooked. Pick up a set of plans for the 60 sized Kaos from RCM Magazine Plans serve ( [link]http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/store-plans-catalog-tem.html?item=plans:PL-421&sid=0001tPedPpXW8vAvn41w2X8[/link] ). This is actually the plans for the original Kaos that Joe Bridi designed. I've flown both the original Kaos and the 40 size Kaos you are getting. The 40 size Kaos you are getting is a fantastic flying plane, but it's nowhere near what the original flies like. Think of it as the difference between a Chevy and a Cadillac!!!! ;) :D:D

Ken

D-LOCO 01-05-2007 07:48 PM

Chopper Man,

Great choice!

As soon as the snow melts alittle more, I will maiden my Kaos.

A few suggestions/comments:

1. Seal the covering of the plane as directed in the instructions.

2. With the supplied motor mount the engine will appear to be slightly off center to the left (at least on mine anyway). Comments by others here on RCU indicated this is OK.

3. With the GMS 40, my plane balances perfect (I put 1/4 oz on the end of the LH wing - seems like all my planes require this. I think its because of the muffler on the RH side) and weighs exactly 5 lbs.

Can't wait to fly this thing!

Such a deal too with the discount!

Dave

TheBrickLayer 01-05-2007 07:55 PM

I have been following this post since the beginning. I too have a kaos 40 I have been waiting for like my 4th or 5th plane to fly it because the look of it makes me nervous. I have a Super Tigre .40 on mine. I think when it warms up a little I will take it out and see what happens.