RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Hangar 9 ALPHA 40 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/6157519-hangar-9-alpha-40-a.html)

DoubleDD 07-25-2007 11:36 PM

Hangar 9 ALPHA 40

In search of replacement trainer. My SIG suffered fatal injuries so it needs replacing. Found a Hangar 9 ALPHA 40 that is a few years old and I'm wondering if they came out with a .40 size evolution engine or a .46 ? The reason I'm asking is because my SIG had a .40 OS and my brother has a .46 evo in his trainer and the Alpha engine looks exactly the same as the .46 of my brothers. Especially the intake hole.

troposcuba 07-25-2007 11:43 PM

RE: Hangar 9 ALPHA 40

think mine has a .40 on it. i will go check for ya later. great trainer though. the engine is dead reliable. almost never have to mess with the needles unless there is a huge swing in the temp outside. plane flies and takes of/lands beautifully. it is also pretty capable if you set the throws to max. you might surprise yourself what you can do with that plane. wing is held on with rubberbands for quick setup and easy transportation. I would say go for it. be sure to give it a real good check out before you fly it especially if it is a used plane.

mclina 07-26-2007 05:42 AM

My Alpha 40 has a .45 Evolution engine. It is pretty tough to find the actual displacement in the manual, and it's not marked on the engine anywhere that I could see.

It is a big engine. I have an OS LA .46 on another plane, and the Evo engine is a lot bigger in every way. The carb intake is almost twice as big, the cylinder head is way bigger, the muffler is bigger. I'm not sure why this is true.

I am still training with mine, but I am having really good luck with it. I got it as a gift, but I think it is a great choice for a trainer.

Make sure you check it out thoroughly if it's used. One thing I would check is if they epoxied the wing halves together, or just used the 1/2" tape per the instructions. I would also reinforce the firewall with tri-stock, as mine popped out once on a not-really-that-hard landing.

Good luck.

Safebet 07-26-2007 09:52 AM

YOur .40 will be very adequate for the Alpha 40. I think they come with the .46 Evo's now, but a .40 is plenty.

pywackit 07-26-2007 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the alpha 40 is a great plane...I stuck a Magnum 61 four stroke in mine for fun but a tree ate her about a month ago.....[&o]
No matter she served me well and you can only rebuild a plane so many times.

troposcuba 07-26-2007 04:19 PM

ORIGINAL: mclina

My Alpha 40 has a .45 Evolution engine. It is pretty tough to find the actual displacement in the manual, and it's not marked on the engine anywhere that I could see.

It is a big engine. I have an OS LA .46 on another plane, and the Evo engine is a lot bigger in every way. The carb intake is almost twice as big, the cylinder head is way bigger, the muffler is bigger. I'm not sure why this is true.

I am still training with mine, but I am having really good luck with it. I got it as a gift, but I think it is a great choice for a trainer.

Make sure you check it out thoroughly if it's used. One thing I would check is if they epoxied the wing halves together, or just used the 1/2" tape per the instructions. I would also reinforce the firewall with tri-stock, as mine popped out once on a not-really-that-hard landing.

Good luck.
how did you determine it was a .45 if there is nothing listed. i just always assumed mine was a .40. always wondered why it ran so strong. might be a .45. oh and if you don't believe mclina's advice about epoxy on the wing halves... see this thread about my first alpha .40 that lasted about a minute and a half before it's death!

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4876737/mpage_1/key_hate%2Cmaiden/tm.htm]alpha .40 wing failure[/link]

bruce88123 07-26-2007 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: troposcuba

ORIGINAL: mclina

Good luck.
how did you determine it was a .45 if there is nothing listed. i just always assumed mine was a .40. always wondered why it ran so strong. might be a .45. oh and if you don't believe mclina's advice about epoxy on the wing halves... see this thread about my first alpha .40 that lasted about a minute and a half before it's death!

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4876737/mpage_1/key_hate%2Cmaiden/tm.htm]alpha .40 wing failure[/link]
The biggest reason for thinking that the engine is a .45 instead of a .40 is "because it is". Evolution has NEVER built a .40 engine. The Alpha 40 is referring to the PLANE size and NOT the motor in this case. This is the engine in the plane http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EVOE100
They also built some .46 engines http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EVOE0460 but NOT in the trainer series.
The Alpha lists using the trainer system and the first one above is that trainer system.

bigedmustafa 07-26-2007 08:39 PM

The biggest difference between a .40 ball bearing engine and a .46 ball bearing engine is usually in the mind of the person doing the purchasing...

troposcuba 07-27-2007 12:49 AM

bruce88123, thanks for the info. i was never sure what the evolution engine on it was. i know that it is a .040 size plane. wasn't really too familiar with what engines evolution offered. so that clears it up. thanks. like is said earlier, whatever it is, it runs dead rock solid without ever a hiccup. I think i have dead sticked that plane twice in the year i have owned it. once my fault for running out of gas, and the other was due to overlooking the fact i had a dying glow plug in it that would not have lasted another flight.

jvino 07-27-2007 09:19 AM

http://www.evolutionengines.com/Prod...ProdID=EVOE100

.45 according to evolution

Johnny Crash 02-19-2024 11:53 AM

Alpha 9

Originally Posted by DoubleDD (Post 6157519)
In search of replacement trainer. My SIG suffered fatal injuries so it needs replacing. Found a Hangar 9 ALPHA 40 that is a few years old and I'm wondering if they came out with a .40 size evolution engine or a .46 ? The reason I'm asking is because my SIG had a .40 OS and my brother has a .46 evo in his trainer and the Alpha engine looks exactly the same as the .46 of my brothers. Especially the intake hole.

I have one. Mine has the Evolution 48. Had it for many years, fly it weekly. Great plane! Very forgiving.

easystar123 02-21-2024 02:51 AM

Yes the Hangar 9 Alpha 40 is a great trainer. I had two of them, one on wheels and the other on floats. I now have an Avistar Elite which is also a very good trainer. I just had the maiden flight less than a week ago. It flys very nicely.

Johnny Crash 02-21-2024 06:05 AM

Alpha 9

Easystar,
Funny thing, I also have a new Avistar. Waiting for maiden flight. I installed with flaps. Can't wait to try it. Take care.

easystar123 02-21-2024 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Crash (Post 12794923)
Easystar,
Funny thing, I also have a new Avistar. Waiting for maiden flight. I installed with flaps. Can't wait to try it. Take care.

Good luck with your new Avistar. You will love it. I have the flaps installed also and it really does help to slow the plane down for landings. Regards Aidan

Johnny Crash 02-21-2024 07:48 AM

Alpha 9

Thanks Aiden. I can hardly wait to fly it. Best wishes.