RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   OS 46AX OR 55AX FOR A SIG ????????? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/6640839-os-46ax-55ax-sig.html)

Mr67Stang 12-05-2007 01:37 PM

RE: OS 46AX OR 55AX FOR A SIG ?????????

I'ts not. But it can do some of the manouvers.

zachmccool 12-05-2007 03:28 PM

Some things that i am going to do once i lose my SSE to make it more 3d.
1. 1" longer and taller ruder with counter balance set up with pull-pull.
2. Cut out the elevator to give ~55* of ruder throw.
3. .5" longer and wider elevator with counter balance with servo mounted under stab. set up with ~55* throw.
4. Remove 1 rib in each wing.
5. Use CA. (my 5lber was built with wood glue)

This should make the plane come in around 4.5lb and give it great ruder authority.

troposcuba 12-05-2007 11:47 PM

ORIGINAL: zachmccool

Some things that i am going to do once i lose my SSE to make it more 3d.
1. 1" longer and taller ruder with counter balance set up with pull-pull.
2. Cut out the elevator to give ~55* of ruder throw.
3. .5" longer and wider elevator with counter balance with servo mounted under stab. set up with ~55* throw.
4. Remove 1 rib in each wing.
5. Use CA. (my 5lber was built with wood glue)

This should make the plane come in around 4.5lb and give it great ruder authority.
whatcha mean about the wing... shorten it up by one bay? if that is what you are talking about i bet it would be tons of rolling fun that way. I can see how the rudder and ele mods would make it more responsive to inputs on those surfaces. too bad mine was an ARF. i like it enough as is not to hack it unless it gets torn up and then hacked as part of the rebuild. I figure i will fly it for what it is worth and use a more 3d specific plane (profile type) for that stuff anyway.

Klaatu 12-06-2007 01:58 AM

It seems to me that the trend these days is that people want to fly an engine. The plane is almost an afterthought. I would prefer to fly the wing. Choices are good.

- Jan

troposcuba 12-06-2007 02:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Klaatu

It seems to me that the trend these days is that people want to fly an engine. The plane is almost an afterthought. I would prefer to fly the wing. Choices are good.

- Jan
no doubt. i like to have the option of flying an engine with a plane attached or flying a plane that flies like a plane. that's why 1 plane will never do it all. hence the addiction and the excuse to buy more planes. the wife does not really understand this, but she accepts it just fine. good enough for me.

zachmccool 12-06-2007 02:38 PM

No I would not shorten the wing at all. There are 2 ribs in each wing between the servo and the tip. I will remove both ribs and cut one that will fit between the two. B/c remember that you still want lots of wing for 3d.

My current SSE has the counterbalanced tail surfaces with 1/4" added in all directions, weighs 5lb, powered by a os46FX with mack muffler and can hover quit well with the cg 1" behind the furthest back recommended. How ever it will not flat spin very well, blinder, waterfall, ect. with this set up. I want a plane that can fly like a plan and when needed fly like an engine with a plane flowing it. The set up I mentioned earlier should get the SSE close to being able to do this.

CGRetired 12-06-2007 06:31 PM

I have four of the new AX series OS engines. They ALL produce more power than their counterparts in equal displacement. My 75 AX is awsome on my Protege. The original recommendation, by the reviewer here on RCU, was an OS 55 AX which was considered adequate. The LHS didn't have one and would not get one for a couple or three weeks, but had the OS 75 AX in stock, so I bought that one. All I can say, and I hate to repeat myself, is AWSOME. A power house.