RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   !YIPEE! I just bought a rc plane! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/8140887-yipee-i-just-bought-rc-plane.html)

unknown25 11-12-2008 04:57 PM

!YIPEE! I just bought a rc plane!

Hey Everyone!,
I just bought the 3-Channel J3 Piper Cub airplane and i cant wait to try it out, ive never had a rc plane before so i bought the flight simulator to help me out! anyways i was just happy i got it and if you guys have any tips let me know!!!

Mr67Stang 11-12-2008 05:34 PM

RE: !YIPEE! I just bought a rc plane!

In the beginning when you are making your first attempts...

1) Do not fly it if it is reasonably windy. Be patient and save that challenge untill you get the chance to get some experience.
2) When you think you have found enough room to fly it go find a place 10 times that size. You will need it to make big slow turns. Save the sharp manouvers untill you get some experience.
3) Hand launch gently into the wind (gentle breeze) with a level toss. Tossing it upwards will only stall the plane and make it crash faster.
4) Ensure the plane is properly balanced. If the instructions for the plane do not cover this then please come back here and ask.
5) There is always more so I will let someone else input ther .02

cold_reboot 11-12-2008 05:42 PM

The anxiety that leads up to that first flight is worse than anything else. After you get it in the air you'll usually calm down once you see you can do it. By all means use the simulator to familiarize yourself, I didn't have one, so my first flight was all or nothing. I still have the trainer and it's still yet to be crashed. The best tip I can repeat that I've made note of and it's really simplified flying, controls are reversed when the plane is coming at you, so it's easy to push the wrong direction and put it into the ground. When the plane is coming at you push the transmitter stick in the direction of the low wing. i.e. if it's coming at you and the right wing tip is low and you want to level it out, push the stick to the right, toward the low wing..levels it out. Remembering that saved me more than once when I started and kept it straight in my head.

Mr67Stang 11-12-2008 06:07 PM

6) when you hand launch your plane, do not imediatly try turning it. Fly out straight and get some altitude. That altitude equals time to recover from mistakes and will give you a chance to learn from them.

unknown25 11-12-2008 06:42 PM

OK, thnxs for the info guys!

nubzorz 11-12-2008 07:48 PM

yea i dont get it i just got an airplane and i have never flown anything befor heli or plane all i have is cars ass soon as the plane was in the air it was so easy even landing i dont know if its cause i use rc stuff alot or what but i got the hang of it as soon as it left the ground and i havnt crashed yet

unknown25 11-12-2008 07:58 PM

ya, ive been playing with rc model boats for a couple years now and i thought i should try rc airplanes so i bought one!

Wingdinger2 11-12-2008 08:06 PM

Go for it man, I taught myself to fly with a 3 channel trainer. Expect to make a few repairs every now and then, have fun and don't take chances.

unknown25 11-12-2008 09:19 PM

Does anyone know how long it will be untill it will be here, i live on west coast of canada (British Columbia)?

Missileman 11-13-2008 07:07 AM

No idea but I do have more advice.
Have a friend work with you.
First have him help you with the sim:
After you get to where you can fly the sim well, incuding takeoff and landing have your friend randomly move one of the trim switches a couple of clicks out of trim. Take off and see how this out of trim situation will effect flight and what you have to do to compensate, go through all of your major controls this way. You will learn to fly an out of trim airplane and at the same time your friend will learn how to adjust the trims for you while you concentrate on flying.
Go over verbal trim signals with your friend so that you both know what is expected when you ask for a trim adjustment during flight.
ie... give me a little left rudder and your friend should know to give a couple of clicks of trim on the rudder channel and what direction to make that adjustment.
Making sure you have it right before takeoff will make for a smoother flight.
FACT: no matter how close you get the airplane trimmed on the ground most often some trimming will be needed in the air.
If you hand launch it would be easiest for your friend to toss the plane while you man the controls. Gentle and level while at the same time you have full throttle.

rcplanes711 11-13-2008 06:12 PM

Man get out while you still can. This hobbie will consume you.

Jim_Purcha 11-13-2008 06:22 PM

Since you live on the island. Make sure you pay up you MAAC dues for the remainder of the 2008 year and for 2009. See the website: www.maac.ca

Jim

Jim_Purcha 11-13-2008 06:29 PM

Why didn't you buy local? You could have found a few hobby shops in Vancouver and the surrounding muncipalities.

Jim

ORIGINAL: unknown25

Does anyone know how long it will be untill it will be here, i live on west coast of canada (British Columbia)?

unknown25 11-13-2008 07:10 PM

I didnt really think about buying it local cause i didnt know where to go so i just took a browse online and i found this website!

OzMo 11-13-2008 08:48 PM

There are some "sticky" posts at the top of this forum. Read through those first and pay attention. You can teach yourself BUT that is the hard and expensive and aggrevating and.....well you know what I mean.
Setting up the plane and radio is key. Balance plane nose to tail AND wing tip to wing tip. Check carefully all control surface throws (direction and amount of movement).
There are clubs in your area so I would definatly scope them out.
MOST (by a huge margin) guys in your shoes get excited at this stage, crash and burn out and never really get to the real fun parts of the hobby.
You are likely an above average sort of chap so go get some help and meet some of the nicest people you will find anywhere.
R/C guys are ...oh yeah EXACTLY like the sort you find on this web site. They like to help new guys, it is how this hobby stays alive.

OH YEAH welcome to the hobby:D

unknown25 11-13-2008 09:05 PM

Yes thanks for the info, im gonna take this hobby seriously and not like those other people who buy and destroy not knowing what to do with there airraft! And i bought the flight simulator to help me out!

jimmyjames213 11-13-2008 11:15 PM

i went from boats to planes also
i started w/ a gws estarter
long story short it did not have enough power, make sure you have to power to fly, i also tend to hit the up elevator after i hand launch something, so be careful you dont stall it out 10 feet above the ground. make sure their is nothing around you with in 100-200 or so feet im taking about everything from telephone poles to wires to trees. a soccerfield baseball field ect is not a bad idea. i did not do this and hit everything i just said. its not worth it, drive if you have to. i not would recomend a parking lot because if you do crash the asphalt will demolish your plane and/or your electronics.
have fun