RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Any Reviews on the GP Escapade yet? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/8390690-any-reviews-gp-escapade-yet.html)

Jacked69 01-23-2009 01:26 AM

Any Reviews on the GP Escapade yet?

I am very interested in a review on this plane, how it flys, like a pulse, tiger 2 etc? Cause I mean for the price of 100$ how can you beat that if it flys nice. Any ideas on how it will handle? I dont know of many bad products from great planes.

seahwk95 01-23-2009 08:24 AM

RE: Any Reviews on the GP Escapade yet?

check out the arf/rtf forum. There's a few posts on the assembly and flight characteristics. I believe RCKen has said that he plans on a review of this at some point (sorry if that's incorrect).

RCKen 01-23-2009 08:45 AM

ORIGINAL: seahwk95

I believe RCKen has said that he plans on a review of this at some point (sorry if that's incorrect).
Yes, this is absolutely correct. In fact, I will start the assembly of this plane today. I have everything unboxed and all of my initial pictures taken, so I can start putting it together today.

Ken

bigedmustafa 01-23-2009 11:36 AM

Escapade ARF thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80..._1/key_/tm.htm

A few people were concerned about wing loading, but initial flight reports have been good so far.

mclina 01-23-2009 01:34 PM

I saw a guy fly one at a fun fly last weekend. He flew it with skis. It appeared to fly great. He said it flew similar to a Four Star. It is a great looking plane, and the cockpit/hatch setup would be really slick for an electric setup.

seahwk95 01-24-2009 05:38 PM

ORIGINAL: mclina

I saw a guy fly one at a fun fly last weekend. He flew it with skis. It appeared to fly great. He said it flew similar to a Four Star. It is a great looking plane, and the cockpit/hatch setup would be really slick for an electric setup.

The fact that it flies similar to a 4* kinda makes my day (I love my 4*). I just finished my escapade today, at least to the point where I'm ready to have someone more experienced check behind me. Hopefully fly it soon. Thanks for the info.

Jim_Purcha 01-24-2009 05:46 PM

I agree. Even the LHS in Canada sells it for $128.00 CAD. Not a bad price for a nice looking low wing arf.

Jim

ORIGINAL: Jacked69

I am very interested in a review on this plane, how it flys, like a pulse, tiger 2 etc? Cause I mean for the price of 100$ how can you beat that if it flys nice. Any ideas on how it will handle? I dont know of many bad products from great planes.

RCKen 01-31-2009 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I got to fly my review Escapade today. What a sweet flying little plane. This is quite a capable flying plane. This plane is going to be quite a hit considering how well if flies and how low the price is. Here's a couple of sneak peek pics.

Ken

pkevinb 01-31-2009 06:43 PM

Didn't it come with a tailwheel?

RCKen 01-31-2009 06:54 PM

Yes it did. But somewhere on the take off roll the retainer that holds the tailwheel on came off the tailwheel parted company from the plane. We didn't even notice it until we landed the plane.

Ken

Tom Nied 01-31-2009 07:31 PM

Oh man, how can I justify buying this? I got a Magnum XLS 46 looking for a home, I can afford the plane, I would only need a suitable flight pack. Great photos RCKen, how long did the assembly take you? When might we expect your review be available? Big thanks to all the "Pioneers" with this plane, I think I should get one and just put it together. It's such a good looking sport plane!

RCKen 01-31-2009 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Tom Nied

Oh man, how can I justify buying this? I got a Magnum XLS 46 looking for a home, I can afford the plane, I would only need a suitable flight pack. Great photos RCKen, how long did the assembly take you? When might we expect your review be available? Big thanks to all the "Pioneers" with this plane, I think I should get one and just put it together. It's such a good looking sport plane!
Well, at 99 bucks there's not much to justify on this plane. I was telling my buddies at the field about the plane today and they were amazed at what you get for a plane that only costs $99. Control surfaces are already hinged, rudder and elevator control horns already mounted, and the fuel tank is already plumbed. These are a few of the features of the plane. We flew it today and had a blast with it. I say we because I really only had my hands on the sticks for about 3 minutes, when I do a review I take the pictures and do video and have my buddy fly the plane (I found it's easier to find a good pilot than it is a good cameraman!!!). I have the OS 46 AX on it and it's definitely plenty of engine. Your Magnum will do just fine in it. I won't write the entire review here but here's a couple of tidbits. Level knife edge flight at half rudder!!! Climbing knife edge that actually came over the top and started down in a loop. He didn't pull a full knife edge loop because of the wind (approximately 15 mph when we flew it). Plane spins easily in both directions, and does a very nice inverted spin too. Great Planes really did a good job on this plane.

How long to put it together?? You can get the plane together and ready to fly quicker than you can charge the receiver batteries. A good weekend, or two are three nights will be more than enough to get it together.

Ken

ChuckW 01-31-2009 11:54 PM

Think I may get me one. It seems like I have too many planes that are huge or complicated or both. Something simple and inexpensive would be nice.

Tom Nied 02-01-2009 12:33 AM

It's nuts, with all the planes I already have, but I ordered one from Omni. Couldn't resist the free shipping and $15 off of a $150 order. This is going to be a blast. Like ChuckW says, its not huge or complicated or expensive. Simple assembly for a good looking Sport Plane, I'm into this. I've downloaded the manual already, all I need is good flight pack.

plugin 02-01-2009 02:08 AM

Ken, how does the Escapade compare to a Four Star? It seems to me that they are very similar planes. What could be the main similarities and differences?

RCKen 02-01-2009 07:41 PM

Plugin,
I don't have enough time on the plane yet to start comparing it to other planes. I'll let you know when I get some more airtime on it.

Ken

rudderrat65 02-03-2009 10:44 PM

Does anyone have video, or can tell me where I can see video of the .46 escapade? I'm thinking of getting the kit to put my .46 on. I've seen video of the cherokee it looks pretty cool plus has working flaps. but the price of the escapade is almost irristable??

RCKen 02-03-2009 10:54 PM

I will have video of the plane in my review when it's submitted. I don't have the raw video edited out yet, otherwise I'd post that for you. Sorry.

Ken

ChuckW 02-03-2009 10:55 PM

Got to www.greatplanes.com. They have video now.

CGRetired 02-04-2009 06:47 AM

The Escapade reminds me of my Goldberg Skylark 70 (which is a tad larger) except the Skylark has nose-wheel steering. Looks very similar. After several flights and minor trim adjustments, my Skylark flys like it's on rails. Very nice aircraft. And just looking at the Escapade, I imagine it will fly as well. Very nice looking design.

CGr

bigedmustafa 02-04-2009 09:46 AM

That Skylark 70 is one sweet plane, CGRetired! Hopefully Hobbico will get some of the Goldberg ARFs off the "Temporarily Unavailable" list and back into production. The Protege .60 ARF and Senior Falcon ARF also share this cruel fate.

Tom Nied 02-04-2009 04:40 PM

Received mine today. I'm flabbergasted by how good it looks coming out of the box. Very high quality. I sat for fifteen minutes just studying the fuselage. They really did a nice job on this one. Will have to finish up the current Avistar build to get to this one. I can't believe how great the Escapade looks. and how much they have already completed for the modeler.

CGRetired 02-04-2009 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

That Skylark 70 is one sweet plane, CGRetired! Hopefully Hobbico will get some of the Goldberg ARFs off the "Temporarily Unavailable" list and back into production. The Protege .60 ARF and Senior Falcon ARF also share this cruel fate.
Yeah, Big Ed.. it is my most favorite sport plane. It actually competes with my Venus II and Excelleron 90 (both pattern plane design) for precision and capabilities.

It took me several flights to dial it in, with the help of my original instructor, pattern pro that he is, really helped me with that. He knew, for instance, what to do when pulling vertical and having it pull to the wheels or push left. Hands off, after the "tuning", well, straight as an arrow. A very nice flyer.

Mine has an OS .75 AX. Very nice combination.

And, it looks great both on the ground and in the air. Very sweet!!! Minnflyer did a review of the Skylark. Again, very sweet!!

The below link is to Mike's review of the Skylark. There is a video in his review that I just watched. Ooooh.. how I wish it was a tad bit warmer!!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=915

I also bought a Protege back when Minnflyer did the review. Mine has an OS .75 AX as does the Skylark, but Mike did his review of the Protege with the .55 AX. That is a fine flying high wing "aerobatic" trainer. Very capable, fun to fly, easy to land. The wing is flat bottom and has very little dihedral. The below is a link to Mike's review of the Protege.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=901

CGr.

CGRetired 02-04-2009 06:35 PM

Big Ed, one more that I bought after the review that is on longer available is the Midwest Aerobat. The review is on AMA's Sport Aviator. That was a sweet flyer too. I flew it for about 5 months, but, unfortunately, I was unaware of the expiration date that was invisibly stamped on the fuselage. [:o]

Another very capable high-wing "aerobatic" trainer, much like the Protege, but smaller.

CGr

CGRetired 02-04-2009 06:40 PM

Well, at 99 bucks there's not much to justify on this plane. I was telling my buddies at the field about the plane today and they were amazed at what you get for a plane that only costs $99. Control surfaces are already hinged, rudder and elevator control horns already mounted, and the fuel tank is already plumbed. These are a few of the features of the plane. We flew it today and had a blast with it. I say we because I really only had my hands on the sticks for about 3 minutes, when I do a review I take the pictures and do video and have my buddy fly the plane (I found it's easier to find a good pilot than it is a good cameraman!!!). I have the OS 46 AX on it and it's definitely plenty of engine. Your Magnum will do just fine in it. I won't write the entire review here but here's a couple of tidbits. Level knife edge flight at half rudder!!! Climbing knife edge that actually came over the top and started down in a loop. He didn't pull a full knife edge loop because of the wind (approximately 15 mph when we flew it). Plane spins easily in both directions, and does a very nice inverted spin too. Great Planes really did a good job on this plane.

How long to put it together?? You can get the plane together and ready to fly quicker than you can charge the receiver batteries. A good weekend, or two are three nights will be more than enough to get it together.

Ken

KEN.. STOP THAT, PLEASE !!!!

Jeech, that's all I need is another plane in my hanger!!! :D :D