RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   2.4 radio question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/9093674-2-4-radio-question.html)

Traxxas_Man_KY 09-13-2009 10:50 PM

2.4 radio question

Hi all....On a suggestion from a friend I bought a JR X9303 2.4 radio.......however, I later found out that 99% of my fellow club members use Futaba. My question is, should I just suck it up and try to learn the thing? or sell the JR and get a Futaba where I would have help? Now....if so....which Futaba is equal or better than the JR I have? I fly airplanes only btw. Thanks!

blvdbuzzard 09-13-2009 10:55 PM

RE: 2.4 radio question

I am not a Jr or Futaba guy. But you have tons of help here. I do not think there is a question you could ask that some on here can not answer. Keep it and be different. If you really want to mess with the guys at teh field, pick up an Airtronics RDS800. :).

Dru.

MetallicaJunkie 09-14-2009 12:07 AM

JR and Futaba both make great stuff, its all personal preference......Kinda like Ferrari vs Lamborghini

craigteffe 09-14-2009 12:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Hangar_9_Guy

Hi all....On a suggestion from a friend I bought a JR X9303 2.4 radio.......however, I later found out that 99% of my fellow club members use Futaba. My question is, should I just suck it up and try to learn the thing? or sell the JR and get a Futaba where I would have help? Now....if so....which Futaba is equal or better than the JR I have? I fly airplanes only btw. Thanks!
Keep the 9303, and fly with it. I have one I use to fly with Futaba and like the 9303 better.

Missileman 09-14-2009 06:19 AM

I don't think you will have too much trouble and most seasoned pilots can help you with your radio (bring the manual to the field with you) even though they fly Futaba.
The only potential problem is buddy boxing, if you need it. Unless the club or a member has a JR buddy box.

Charlie P. 09-14-2009 06:42 AM

Unless you're hoping to get on a bubby-box system with the others I would stick it out . . . especially if you can't return it for no charge.

Personally, I've always used Futaba but that's just because I've always used Futaba. Once you start to gear up with multiple receivers and transmitters it makes sense to stick with one brand.

jib 09-14-2009 09:28 AM

Ouch, BIG problem. Ship me the JR, as it's compatible with my Spektrum and buy the other radio ASAP.

All kidding aside, while it would be nice to be able to discuss the programming nuances, it won't make much difference which radio system you use; once you figure it out.

Jack

JOHNS3D 09-14-2009 11:27 PM

well it depends....having something that most of the poeple on the field use is great cause you can ask and avoid any problems, crash or simple remove your hair from your head.

Also it depends of how much money do you want to spend. I was using a 80`s airtronics radio like a year ago..when i was back on this hobby after almost 7 years. Then got a used suepr 8 radio, after that i realized that a 2.4G is great option and invest in 7C now lol 8 months later got my 10CG and i love it.

But as i said...it depends, for me, futaba menu on the radio is really simple, more than others brands and most of the videos, etc out there are with futaba, but maybe is just me.

davidbegg 09-15-2009 12:05 AM

I shifted cities and RC clubs, going from a club predominantly Futaba, to my new club which is predominantly JR. <span style="mso-spacerun:yes"></span>I of course have a Futaba 2.4 radio, that being what most of my old club members used. <span style="mso-spacerun:yes">
</span><p class="MsoNormal">The radio brand has not been a problem, anything I want to know is usually in the set up of the plane, the end point, expo required and so on, and while there are a few difference in how Futaba and JR equipment alter and adjust parameters, the result required is the same.<span style="mso-spacerun:yes"> </span>i.e. more expo is required on&hellip; so it is altered and the expert checks the plane out&hellip;a bit more is required, there is not enough rudder movement to the right, the end point needs to be altered, and so on,<span style="mso-spacerun:yes"> </span>and there is always the manual on how to actually alter the settings.<span style="mso-spacerun:yes"> </span><span style="mso-spacerun:yes"></span></p><p class="MsoNormal">Bit of good natured ribbing goes on from a few, &lsquo;why have you got Futaba, you should get a proper radio&rsquo; and so on.</p><p class="MsoNormal">Don&rsquo;t worry about the brand of your radio, you will be just fine. I have only been flying for 18months so are far from an expert!!!!

Cheers

David</p>