RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   How often do you get to fly? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/9473172-how-often-do-you-get-fly.html)

SushiSeeker 02-03-2010 12:34 PM

How often do you get to fly?

I've seen some recent posts discussing costs associated with flying, amount of fuel used in a season, etc. So I'm currious. How often do folks get out to fly?
I imagine it's more for retired folks and single guys that just won the lottery and somewhat less for working family guys like me. Although I really enjoy this hobby I'm lucky to get out once every other week. I travel a lot and my weekends are full of soccer games, school projects and honey-dos, so I fly when I can (which is year round in Florida) and keep my skills honed on my laptop with RealFlight. How bout u?

goirish 02-03-2010 12:39 PM

RE: How often do you get to fly?

I am one of the retired guys. In the summer I get to fly 4 - 5 times a week, if the weather is OK. In the winter I am able to fly indoors 2 times a month. I sometimes practice on my FSOne to work on new skills. I burn about 10-12 gallons in the summer. Our club buys by the barrel and the cost is about 9.00 gallon.

AH1G 02-03-2010 01:04 PM

I'm "semi-retired" and only work 50-60 hrs a week and I still find time to fly 2-3 x a week during our short spring/summer season. I'm lucky enough to have 60+ acres to fly off of, but I need to build a proper runway. Sailplanes are no problem.
The winter is another question, it starts in late August and runs through the middle of May. I fly power offf of on old county road that is rarely used and I fly about once or twice a month because of low temps. I have to plow the road myself in the winter.

ScienceisCool 02-03-2010 01:04 PM

I have a one year old at home so I get to fly about every other weekend depending on the weather.

opjose 02-03-2010 01:06 PM

Non-retired...

Saturdays and Sundays, from 1:00 pm to field closing, weather and spouse permitting, during the weekends.

An occasional day take off from work during the summer months adds more flying time. Holidays are iffy due to family events, and busy airfield.

A "good day" at the field for me consists of well over 10 - 15 minute+ flights with no plane damage.

A bad day consists of less than 8 flights... and/or plane damage.

I just purchased 9 gallons of glow fuel for the upcoming flying season, though I tend to favor my gas planes instead.

Mr67Stang 02-03-2010 01:15 PM

I'm active duty military, so I fly when I can. When things are good, I get out every weekend. When I deploy, I go 6 months with nothing but Real Flight. Lately the weather has been the biggest problem. You can go to the weather forecast and pick out the weekends by the cloud/rain illustration and that 80-90% next to it.

dignlivn 02-03-2010 01:17 PM

I fall into the disabled/retired catagory. On a
good week I get to go 3 times. Most of the time
it's just 2 times. My club is 45 miles away, which
really kills my gas tank.

Bob

Minnreefer 02-03-2010 01:27 PM

I am not retired, but my work gives me some time flexability :) I do have a 6 year old and a 2 year old boys at home that take up a lot of my time. 2 days a month is a good month, I would fly more if I had a park flyer or lived closer to the field (it is about 45 minutes away :( ) It is hard to justify flying for an hour if it takes 2 to get there and back.

Jon

bkdavy 02-03-2010 01:30 PM

Working stiff. 3-6 hours on Saturdays when the weather permits. Few times a month on Saturdays during winter months.

ro347 02-03-2010 02:05 PM

From about April through Oct/Nov...I had been getting out about 3 days/week. From Dec to April, no flying at all due to the North east winters. Its either Cold, Windy, Raining, Snowing or all of the above. :(

richardgerardi 02-03-2010 02:21 PM

I am not retired and during the summer I fly every Sunday and some times Saturdays. Here in the noreast the weather has been bad and have flow once since November 28, 2009 so it I am hoping for a break but I heard we are getting a huge snow storm this weekend. I susually buy 4 gallons of glow fule and it last me a year. I only fly 46 to 75 size engines.

Crash Campbell 02-03-2010 02:45 PM

Hi,

I'm retired and fly at least two mornings a week, weather permitting. The rest of the time is taken up with building and the myriad of things that I wasn't able to find the time to do when working. Come to think of it I'm like most of the retired blokes in my club and now wonder how I ever found the time to go to work. Retirement is not for the feint hearted and requires great time management skills:D.

Cheers,

Colin

skylane_182 02-03-2010 02:45 PM

I'm married and have a 5 year old son and a 9 year old daughter. Retirement is still a long, long way off for me. I live in the Northwest, and any flying in the winter is tough / rare. For the most part I fly on Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 2-3pm.

The company I work for has changed it's hours...... 7am to 3:30pm, the field is about 15mins away so I hope to start getting a few evening flights in before dinner once or twice during the week!

goirish 02-03-2010 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Crash Campbell

Hi,

I'm retired and fly at least two mornings a week, weather permitting. The rest of the time is taken up with building and the myriad of things that I wasn't able to find the time to do when working. Come to think of it I'm like most of the retired blokes in my club and now wonder how I ever found the time to go to work. Retirement is not for the feint hearted and requires great time management skills:D.

Cheers,

Colin
Boy a big AMEN to that. I wonder yet how I got everything done while I was working those 50+ hrs a week. Out field is only about 6 miles from where I live so that helps.
We are having a meeting with the Boy Scouts this month and see if we can get some of them interested in flying.

goirish 02-03-2010 03:08 PM

Crash Campbell
My wife and I was talking last night that we would like to take a cruise to your country. Maybe it will happen.

Sport_Pilot 02-03-2010 03:14 PM

I just had to check out the post that started: "How often to you get to f". I imangened it was fly but thought of another activity that started with F. LOL I don't get to do either much these days.

ChuckW 02-03-2010 03:22 PM

I'm still looking at almost 30 years before I can consider retirement. I make an effort to fly every weekend though, usually on Saturday mornings. Sometimes I may have to switch it up and fly on Sunday instead. Of course I'm forced to skip some weekends from time to time because of weather, other commitments and other various reasons too. On 3-day weekends and other opportunities I always try to sneak in more flying. I'm going to try and get in some after-work weekday flying this summer too.

Vuela 02-03-2010 05:53 PM

;)

Vuela 02-03-2010 05:59 PM

I love this question. As far as my wife is concerned I fly too often, as far as I'm concerned not enough. I try to get a few hours in the early morning at 6am on saturdays and sundays in a local park with my mini funtana x or pz t28. I can't get enough. The rest of the time I spend thinking about it. Do I need a shrink?

iflircaircraft 02-03-2010 06:14 PM

not as often as I'd like. it's my fault though

Tom

Sessholvlaru 02-03-2010 07:48 PM

Single and 26, I fly all day Saturday and Sunday weather permitting. During the long summer days I'm usually flying after work 3 or 4 days during the week....I just need a job closer to the field!

CGRetired 02-03-2010 07:54 PM

Crap.. I am twice retired. Once from the US Coast Guard and recently from British Aerospace Enginnering Systems. Then I was picked up by Engility Corporation (part of L3 Communciations) and am now working 40 - 50 hours a week. Why? Who the heck knows. So, I don't get to fly as often as I would like. But, that's about to change. I plan on reducing my hours to about 30 per week and doing a lot of afternoon-after work flying.

BTW, I work to afford the extra $$$ to travel and fly RC.

CGr.

fly24-7 02-03-2010 08:42 PM

Not nearly enough;). With 8 and 5 year old girls, plently of family activities to fill up time. During the "flying" season, about 3-5 hours a week. If we have an event weekend (airshow or competition), I'm good for the entire weekend. I only have about 2-3 "get out of jail free" cards from the little lady for events like these:D.

During the winter months, I'll fly once or twice a month at the field. I'm one of those nuts who participates in an "all season" program with the club.

Otherwise, Realflight gets a workout about 3-4 nights a week in the winter.

zlin50L 02-03-2010 08:53 PM

I guess I must be lucky .... I think. I was made redundant from my job 4 years ago at 50. Paid off the house, car, and debts with my payout, which means I owe nothing so I get by ok on my small work's pension. I've given up trying to get a new job now, they don't even answer my application forms to say 'Thanks but no thanks' ! Fortunately I built myself a workshop and bought most of my tools and RC gear when I was working, so I have everything I need. So mostly its down to the weather, and when I feel like it when I fly. I have also built models for friends which helps fund my own projects and keeps me flying. So this great hobby has got a lot going for me, I just love it, and would be lost without it :D

Pete737 02-03-2010 09:13 PM

I used to fly my helis at least three flights a day, all season excluding the winter months. After switching over to planes I find that flying all day Sat and Sun keeps the withdrawal symptoms at bay!