RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   How Many Planes Do You Take To The Field? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/9538275-how-many-planes-do-you-take-field.html)

ES CONTROL 02-26-2010 05:56 PM

How Many Planes Do You Take To The Field?

This year Is the first . I will start taking 2 planes to fly . With 2 back ups ( with no engines or rx tx ) at home. 1 - 40 SIZE 1 - 60. SIZE
Is this a good plan or over kill ?

opjose 02-26-2010 06:00 PM

RE: How Many Planes Do You Take To The Field?

I always try to take THREE out with me.

This normally breaks down to two larger planes and one smaller electric for me.

If I have a problem with one, I can fly the other two.

This way I'm also not tempted to push one into the air with a small "issue" just because I'm anxious to fly something.

mclina 02-26-2010 06:01 PM

I never go to the field with one plane. It's bad luck. I usually bring two, but I have brought as many as five when I planned on hanging out a while.

KWJ48 02-26-2010 06:05 PM

During the summer I keep some of my planes in my trailer, so what ever is in there usually goes. I've taken 8 planes before.

delman 02-26-2010 06:49 PM

I usually take 2 planes just in case one has a problem.

RCKen 02-26-2010 06:50 PM

I usualy take 2 planes to the field with me, but have taken up to 6 from time to time

Ken

rgm762 02-26-2010 06:52 PM

I take two, thats all I can fit in my little truck without risking damage

ChuckW 02-26-2010 07:03 PM

It depends on what I plan on flying that day and how long I am able to stay at the field. Generally I take two airplanes. Sometimes it is just one though if it is a particularly big plane that makes it difficult to haul others or if I only have a limited amount of available time that day.

I find that more than two is overkill for me. You can only fly one at a time.

Archie League 02-26-2010 07:55 PM

I have a trailor that holds several giant scale aircraft and several more standard and foamies. All together, I might bring 7 or 8 planes.

beau0090_99 02-26-2010 08:26 PM

I try to bring about 3 plus an electric, if I feel like flying that one. The problem is that it takes a while to clean them and put them away, I need to leave plenty of time to do that before the sun goes down.
C

Gray Beard 02-26-2010 08:26 PM

If I'm alone I may take three 60 size planes or one giant and one 60 size, maybe my little electric too. My 60 size planes always get more air time then any of my bigger planes ever do.

hugger-4641 02-26-2010 08:32 PM

I usually take 3 or 4 depending on what vehicle I'm driving. I can only carry two 40. to .60 sized planes in the cab of my truck, but I can get six or more in my wife's Caravan if no one is riding in back.:D

bingo field 02-26-2010 08:50 PM

I usually only take 2 down the hill to the field, if I need something, or I feel like it, I can always walk back to the shop about 200 yards and pick up another. But just generally 2 to the field.

flyinrog 02-26-2010 08:53 PM

I could fit my field box and 3 1/2a (.049) planes in my Miata, which is all I had at the time...but now I also have a volvo wagon so from 1 to 5 planes depending....I bought one of those cool aluminum tool boxes for my radio's,,the first time I went to the field with the wrong radio,,, I gave it to a friend, the first time he did the exact same thing, he gave it back...its been sitting in my basement ever since then...Rog

combatpigg 02-26-2010 09:11 PM

If you want to "make a day of it" take as much stuff as you can, including some Hefty Trash Bags and a cordless Shop Vac, too.

Steve Steinbring 02-26-2010 09:22 PM

Generally one airplane sometimes two, I seldom have a problem where I can't fly due to some sort of mechanical problem. If an airplane is questionable it doesn't get selected to go to the field to fly until its totally repaired and airworthy.

Roo Man 02-26-2010 09:29 PM

Due to lack of space in my home or garage, I keep all my flyable planes in a cargo trailer, currently 2, 60 U-Can-Do and Escapade. Will soon add a SSE that I am revuilding and maybe a Quickie 500 that I have never flown. Probably will only fly 2 unless the worst happens.

Gary

dignlivn 02-26-2010 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Steve Steinbring

Generally one airplane sometimes two, I seldom have a problem where I can't fly due to some sort of mechanical problem. If an airplane is questionable it doesn't get selected to go to the field to fly until its totally repaired and airworthy.

That's me too.

I did take four to a fly in
last year though.

Bob

bigtim 02-26-2010 10:01 PM

2-3 our field is about a 1/2 hour away so if something unexpected pops up I have a back up

combatpigg 02-26-2010 10:06 PM

Oh, of course. I have my butler tear down all servos and inspect all the gears under magnification after every flying session. I also have him check out the battery packs, switch harness and RX under full load on my ultrasonic test bench.
When he's completed those tasks, then he tears down the engines completely for Zyglo and magnaflux inspection of all moving parts. While he's at it, I have him demagnitize the crankshafts to reduce unwanted drag.
We also firmly believe in tossing all control linkages every 4 flights and redoing all hinges, just to be sure.
This way, we are sure to never have any mechanical failures or to need more than 1 plane at a time at the field.

HighPlains 02-26-2010 10:17 PM

One or two is usual. But sometimes I don't take any and I still fly and fly. I test fly, trim fly, instruct some, any try out other peoples airplanes. Having flown RC for 40 years (as of this summer), I have flown more models than most people have. If it is a new airplane, I am it's best chance of it making a second flight.

In spite of all this experience, I am still learning, still improving. I guess that is what keeps me at it. The downside is the eyes are degraded and will only get worse with time. Fine motor control will start to go in another 15 or 20 years. I will eventually fly easier bigger airplanes, but someday even that will not be enough. Guess I will just run the mower then. There is always grass to cut at a flying field.

brockettman 02-26-2010 10:31 PM

Only have room for two in my Pathfinder. Would take more if I had the space....:)

Wish I had a butler....:D

RCKen 02-26-2010 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's how to make use of small spaces!!!!!;) http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

Tampaflyer 02-26-2010 10:49 PM

you know you have a true RCer when others at the feild are like" how do you get all that in that car?"

you have to load the aircraft in a certain pattern to get it in and then back out. i ave had 5 in a mid size car.
2 -60size
2 electric
a 60 size heli.

most usuall 2-3 unless its an all day outing.

psb667 02-26-2010 11:09 PM

All of em