RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   4 stroke selection OS, Saito or ??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/9634149-4-stroke-selection-os-saito.html)

tripower222 04-03-2010 10:27 AM

4 stroke selection OS, Saito or ???

<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 9pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">I currently have a Ultra Stick 40 with a quad flap setup and absolutelylove it,its my favorite plane. Infact I like it so much I want to get a 60 size and try a 4 stroke on it. I have absolutely no experience with a 4 stroke and want to try one. First let me say I am a big fanofOS2 strokes and max power is notwhat I look for in an engine, I like good smooth running dependableengines with snappythrottle response.I know I am asking for trouble with this question and I would like responses from people who have had a bit of experience with both. I want a 4 stroke in the 1.0 size range should I go OS, Saito or is there another engine that should be in the running? Also don&rsquo;t let dollars be a factor in your decision.</span>

Gray Beard 04-03-2010 10:45 AM

RE: 4 stroke selection OS, Saito or ???

YS 1.10, OS .91, Saito 100, I have all three and put them in this order. You know already others will have there own choices so this is always a loaded topic. All three are great choices but the YS has other advantages besides the power. OK, let the fun begin!!:D

oldvet70 04-03-2010 10:47 AM

You are right in that you'll open a can of worms with a 'Coke vs. Pepsi' question. I have numerous 4 strokes that I've flown thru the years, flown as opposed to collected or just bench run. I have OS , Saito, and Magnums. For my money OS is the best of the three. Rather than launch into a windy discourse as to why it's the better engine I'll just say that thats been my experience. If you like OS 2 strokes you'll love OS 4 strokes.

42etus 04-03-2010 10:57 AM

I agree with Gray Beard. The YS 1.10 is an awesome engine, although out of production now. The OS and Saito engines are also fine choices. You really won't go wrong with any of them.

dignlivn 04-03-2010 11:04 AM

Either choice is a win,win situation.
O have both makes.

Bob

bigedmustafa 04-03-2010 12:07 PM

There are no bad choices available for sale in North America as far as 4-stroke engines go.

YS Engines are very powerful and not really much more expensive than Saito or O.S. Max 4-strokes of similar displacement. It's no accident that YS is the glow engine of choice for the vast majority of competitive pattern pilots.

Saito engines are smooth, powerful, reliable, and easy to tune. My Saito .72 is the most expensive glow engine I've ever purchased, and it was worth every penny.

O.S. Max engines are likewise smooth, powerful, and reliable. O.S. Max sets the benchmark that all others are compared to with regard to user friendliness.

Thunder Tiger 4-stroke engines are powerful, reliable, and a great value for the money. They take a little bit of effort to break in completely, but it takes a decade of heavy flying to wear one out.

Magnum 4-stroke engines are user friendly, reliable, and a terrific bargain.

Thunder Tiger and Magnum 4-strokes are great choices for sport planes or weekend fun fly airplanes where it just isn't necessary to pay top dollar for a best-in-class engine. O.S. Max and Saito 4-strokes are a great choice for that special plane that you're really looking forward to showing off and wringing out the absolutely maximum level of performance out of it. YS engines, with their superchargers and fuel pumps, require a little extra care when setting them up. You also need to run YS blend 20/20 fuel through them rather than regular sport fuel. You can certainly fly a YS engine in your everyday sport planes is you don't mind the extra care and feeding required. Most pilots reserve YS engines for competition aircraft or special projects, however.

If I were building a .60 Ultra Stik ARF, I'd happily pick up a Magnum XL .90 RFS for it. They're on sale right now for $159.99 and it would be a great match that would provide plenty of power and torque. A Saito 1.00 or an O.S. Max 1.10 4-stroke would provide a bit of extra power, but you'd mostly be paying for style points.

If money is truly no object, I'd say buy the Saito. In truth, however, paying $279.99 for Saito 1.00 can be a tough pill to swallow when you can literally buy two Magnum XL .90 RFS engines for the same amount.

Good luck, and good shopping!

ChuckW 04-03-2010 01:02 PM

Try an OS 1.10-FSa 4-stroke. Sure, it is pricey but but it just runs so nice and it makes tons of power. It will take that Ultra Stick straight up like rocket with the right prop and it will idle as long as you want it to right out of the box. It spits much less oil on the airplane compared to other engines as well. The OS .91 Surpass-2 is another good one. It doesn't make the same power as the 1.10 though.

The YS 1.10 is outstanding too. It will be a little more finicky than the OS but nothing terribly difficult. There will also be more oil on the airplane. The power will be almost scary though.

Saito 4-strokes work well but, in my opinion, they take a lot more break-in and fiddling to get them running nice. They are also oil-spitting, slimy engines. The Saito 1.00 makes very good power but not on par with either the OS 1.10 or YS 1.10 in my experience. I've sold off every Saito that I had and replaced them with OS or YS. I'm not saying they are bad engines, far from it, just not quite on the same level as the other two.

The other, less expensive 4-stroke engines can sometimes be a good value. I've had mixed experience with Magnums. I loved my little Magnum .52 4-stroke but the .70 I had wasn't so great. The power and user friendliness isn't on par with the others but they are better than I would expect for the low price. They can be an outstanding deal but somewhat hit or miss from what I have experienced and seen.

GaryHarris 04-03-2010 01:36 PM

Really doesnt matter.

MinnFlyer 04-03-2010 01:37 PM

I like them all, but I prefer OS

rc-sport 04-03-2010 03:52 PM

That new OS 110 is pretty sweet engine.

Gray Beard 04-03-2010 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: rc-sport

That new OS 110 is pretty sweet engine.
I keep hearing this but as yet haven't even seen one in the field. Chuck is very impressed with his so I'm keeping my eyes open for someone with a nice new one in a plane so I can see for myself. This is what I get for being an OS guy living in a Saito neighbor hood!!!:D

tripower222 04-03-2010 04:34 PM

I see the OS 110FSa is offered with and without a pump. what is the advantage of a pump and is it worth it?</p>

faulknej 04-03-2010 05:10 PM

One advantage to the pump is you can mount the fuel tank on the CG, as the pump will deliver fuel farther than muffler pressure. Also, the engine should not lean out as the fuel in the tank goes down.

bigedmustafa 04-03-2010 05:17 PM

The O.S. Max 110FS-a really seems a bit more reasonably priced when Tower's available discounts are considered:

$369.99 YS FZ110 (Central Hobbies price for old model now out of stock, waiting for new FZ115-S)
$349.99 O.S. Max 1.10 (Tower Hobbies after $60 off $300 or more Super Saver Club code, includes free shipping)
$309.99 Saito 1.15 (MAP at www.horizonhobby.com, includes free shipping)
$184.99 Thunder Tiger F-91s (Infinite Hobbies, includes free shipping)
$144.99 Magnum XL .91 RFS (Tower Hobbies after $25 off $150 Super Saver Club code, includes free shipping)

ChuckW 04-03-2010 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: tripower222

I see the OS 110FSa is offered with and without a pump. what is the advantage of a pump and is it worth it?</p>
I have the non-pumped version. It runs excellent for most types of flying. If I were to get into serious precision aerobatics or 3D then the pumped version might be advantageous. It would also be helpful in cases where the tank is fairly far from the engine. For most sport flying though, non-pumped works great.

jimmyjames213 04-03-2010 07:01 PM

id go with the mangum, i have one on my ultrasport .60 and its plenty of power, close to if not umlimited vertical with a 13x8 prop and 5% nitro

Gray Beard 04-03-2010 08:08 PM

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

The O.S. Max 110FS-a really seems a bit more reasonably priced when Tower's available discounts are considered:

$369.99 YS FZ110 (Central Hobbies price for old model now out of stock, waiting for new FZ115-S)
$349.99 O.S. Max 1.10 (Tower Hobbies after $60 off $300 or more Super Saver Club code, includes free shipping)
$309.99 Saito 1.15 (MAP at www.horizonhobby.com, includes free shipping)
$184.99 Thunder Tiger F-91s (Infinite Hobbies, includes free shipping)
$144.99 Magnum XL .91 RFS (Tower Hobbies after $25 off $150 Super Saver Club code, includes free shipping)
These are retail prices and if you shop around they are a lot cheaper. My last YS 1.10 was advertised for $370.00 but when I go places I stop into local hobby shops and find the deals, I paid $325.00 in a shop in Sacramento. My LHS is a big Saito dealer and he gives out some pretty good deals sometimes if you catch him in the right mood. Pumpers, I like pumpers a lot. Just easier to set up a plane with a pumper. None of my .91OS FS engines have pumps and are outstanding too. A lot of people do like the Magnums but most of these folks have never owned any of the big three or been operating engines very long. For a general sport pilot they are sometimes OK but they really don't compare. Then again, the Magnum .91s come up on sale all the time for such low prices they are often worth the risk.

Desertlakesflying 04-03-2010 08:23 PM

Had the best luck with the OS 91 and 120 pumpers

stevenmax50 04-03-2010 09:39 PM

I have a "new" Super Aeromaster that says it requires a 60 size 2s or 90 to 120 4s.  Since it will be another couple of weekd before I fly my Magnum 91 4s I still do not really know about how it runs.   I opened a thread in the glow engines forum asking for advice on which engine for that airframe.  Bigedmustafa, your breakdown is a great help.  I have an OS65la and it runs ok but I really do not see what all the love is about.  I have had to land dead stick a couple of times.  No idea why yet.  Bottom line is I hope this thread will help me to decide what to buy for the aeromaster.   

Gray Beard 04-03-2010 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If that is the Great Planes kit built Master? I have one out in the shop. It started life with a MDS .68 two stroke and I thought the plane was a total dog and needed ailerons on the top wing too so I would have a better roll rate. Then one day I bought an SK .91 two stroke and installed it in the Master to break it in. My god that plane is great!!! all it needed was some over kill on power!! I'm in the middle {beginning} of a new build so the Master is on the wall waiting for repairs but it will be getting an OS .91 FS installed this time around.

stevenmax50 04-03-2010 11:08 PM

Yep, its the GP kit.  I am considering upper ailerons.  So with plenty of power they are not necessary?

MinnFlyer 04-04-2010 06:54 AM

Upper ailerons are always a plus. The top wing will now HELP the plane roll instead of being dragged around a roll by the bottom wing.

Puts a lot less strain on the cabane and end struts too

frets24 04-04-2010 12:23 PM

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

There are no bad choices available for sale in North America as far as 4-stroke engines go.

YS Engines are very powerful and not really much more expensive than Saito or O.S. Max 4-strokes of similar displacement. It's no accident that YS is the glow engine of choice for the vast majority of competitive pattern pilots.

Saito engines are smooth, powerful, reliable, and easy to tune. My Saito .72 is the most expensive glow engine I've ever purchased, and it was worth every penny.

O.S. Max engines are likewise smooth, powerful, and reliable. O.S. Max sets the benchmark that all others are compared to with regard to user friendliness.

Thunder Tiger 4-stroke engines are powerful, reliable, and a great value for the money. They take a little bit of effort to break in completely, but it takes a decade of heavy flying to wear one out.

Magnum 4-stroke engines are user friendly, reliable, and a terrific bargain.

Good luck, and good shopping!

The above quote says it all in the first line.

I like the OS and Saito offerings about equally. Usually it boils down to what are the power requirements and will the top of the motor be highly visable. If you can see a good bit of the head then it's a Saito, If the motor is fully enclosed then it's an OS. For multi-cyl it's usually question of the right power for the job...OS120, Saito130 for just abit more umph, OS160 will carry anything I've currently got and the Saito180 will all but make the 70'' Zero 3D:D

Here's the biggest problem you'll face.....once you start putting 4c's in your planes you'll be hooked and wind up having to replace most, if not all, of your 2c's!:)

tripower222 04-04-2010 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: frets24

Here's the biggest problem you'll face.....once you start putting 4c's in your planes you'll be hooked and wind up having to replace most, if not all, of your 2c's!:)
I must say I actually thought of that, you have got my personality nialed.

Gray Beard 04-04-2010 12:54 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Upper ailerons are always a plus. The top wing will now HELP the plane roll instead of being dragged around a roll by the bottom wing.

Puts a lot less strain on the cabane and end struts too
If I had it over to do I would have installed ail. on top and bottom. Mike is correct. If you look at my photo you can see I used 2-56 wire with ball snap ends so I could adjust incidence as things changed, it happens. With the SK .91 this little plane really gets with it and I can't remember the last time I ended the day without snapping one of my N-Struts in half. Most people may not run into that problem but I really crank this little plane around!!
FRET is correct, years ago I bought my first four stroke, other then the SK .91s I only use four strokes in glow these days. I have a couple of OS .91 FS engines not doing anything at the moment so I keep looking at the little Master with that thought running around in the back of my head. ;) I guess I could put the new build on hold again??:D